Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Phoning etc out of Kruger : land lines, cells, internet
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:43 pm 

We are coming to Kruger from the UK in March. We would really like to have access to the internet via our net book. We have an unlocked USB modem and the idea was to goto one of the Vodacom shops at Joburg airport buy a sim card and a 3GB data bundle. Reading through the thread this seems now a little more tricky than it used to be. If possible we really want to be ready in advance with all the necessary paperwork to comply with the RICA regulations so we can easily buy the sim card and data bundle and get on our way from the airport to Kruger ASAP.

From what i understand so far, we will need to present the following:

a. Our Passports

b. Proof of where we are staying in South Africa......Will a print out of our reservations suffice or do we need something else? And if yes what, and how can I get hold of it before we leave the UK?

c. And finally is there anything else we need to get the card / bundle?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

16th-17th Sept 2010 Shingwedzi
18th Sept 2010 Satara
19th-20th Sept 2010 Skukuza
21st-22nd Sept 2010 Lower Sabie
23rd-24th Sept 2010 Skukuza

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie 3G
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Was there two weeks ago and for Vodacom you have between 3-4 bar signal. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have a full signal with cell C

I love to play in God's Playground

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry, but I don't want to hijack this thread. Does SANParks have "wireless" in Skukuza, Lower Sabie, Tamboti and Satara? I'm talking about the wireless one gets in airports where you use the internet connection of the airport, etc. :hmz:

I don't know exactly what you call it though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nope no Wifi, if you do want to use the internet you have to go to the admin offices and they normally have a PC setup there which you can use to browse the net... :lol: :lol:

Also any searches that I did whilst in Lower Sabie did not yield any WIFI connections.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm 

A reply from Laura:

Quote:
If the client has a 3g, then they can get the wi-fi internet connection. This is possible only at rest camps where cellular phone reception is available.

Kind regards

Laura Mukwevho
Media Relations

So, one needs to have a 3G card/cell connection, and where that signal is not available, connect with a slower connection via a cellphone.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:12 am 

DinkyBird wrote:
I do not need to use a 'mobile' connection much, except when we travel and then I use my cellphone with data enabled on my contract and connect as a 'modem' to my pc via blue tooth. Depending of the type of signal where we are, I can get as fast a connection via 3G as we have here at home on dsl. Its always very stable, no matter where I connect ... just the speed differs.

Oh my goodness, DB!! Do you perhaps speak English too? :wink: I followed untill you got to the end of ..."when we travel and then I use my cellphone ..." and thereafter my PS just showed letters together that I dont get :( :big_eyes:

Does that bit about the cellphone mean I can phone my trip report (and photos) through to someone that adds it on the forum? :whistle:

:)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Get a mobile contract - works out much cheaper - Using your cell-phone costs at least R2.00 per MB , whereas it costs me R249 per month for 2GIG and this allows for a couple hundred hours connection per month .
I use a mobile all the time , on farm ,at home in Cape Town , on road , and any time for when I am not in the office . :whistle:
In KNP camps I got either at least EDGE or GPRS reception . In LSabie I had 3G .

Tieroog stay 8) man .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Post subject: mobile reception inside Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:02 pm 

I have an aging mother and dog, both not well. I have decided to carry a mobile phone this time, "just in case". I intend to use the phone in the case of emergency only.

What has been your experience with reception inside or near the camps? We just purchased a quad band gsm unlocked phone and plan on picking up a MTN sim card upon arrival. Is this something you would recommend or is there something better I do not know about?

Since we are going to Zambia after Kruger, I thought MTN would be a better option than Vodacom.

I would also be interested in knowing the best place to buy a sim card. We will be picking up groceries etc in Nelspruit on our way to our first camp at Crocodile Bridge.

Thank you
Carson

Post subject: Re: mobile reception inside Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:17 am 

Hi Micetta and Imberbe

Thank you so much for your speedy reply. We will be coming from OR Tambo airport area. It is nice to know there is reception inside the park and sims are readily available.

I presume we will ask which corner shop sells them if they don't carry them at the Spar market. Does MTN sound like a good choice? Maybe it doesn't make a difference. I was not aware of the identify verification process. I guess I had better do some research on that. We are USA citizens.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:56 am 

Carson,
As for the SIM card, you can purchase it right in O.R. Tambo airport upon arrival.
There is an MTN & Vodacom shop to the right as you exit the arrivals area. You can also rent a SIM card. They will take a deposit and refund any unused minutes upon return. Of course this may not make sense if you are heading to Zambia directly from Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
OR Tambo has cell phone stores for both major carriers, and it only takes a couple of minutes to purchase from them. Last year it took about 10 minutes from the time i walked in to the MTN shop until the SIM card was in my phone and I was on my way (and that was after waiting in line)!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There is a verification of identity now called RICA - it is the telecomms industry equivalent version of FICA.

You have to provide acceptable identifcation (PASSPORT) and proof of residential address (Perhaps a hotel booking is okay) for international visitors!

You can buy a starter pack for as little as R1.99 but it will not work until the RICA process is complete - as there is NO phone number on the SIM pack and it is obtained by dialing 100 on a Vodacom phone not sure what the MTN dial number is..

But all the outlets are extremely helpful. You must make sure that the SIM is capable of being opened for International calls (making & receiving), before I had a contract I could not use my pay as you go in Zambia. Therefore I think purchasing at OR Tambo would be better, they are geared up for International visitors. :D

I think a local Zambian SIM is also very cheap.. I have a friend in Zambia and can find out for you :D

JJ

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:33 pm 

I've had both Mtn and Vodacom on previous visits to SA and no problem with network coverage. The last time I landed in Capetown first and tried numerous places outside the airport to get a card but they would not give me one unless I could get a SA resident to write a letter and bring their proof of address etc...= big mission!!!
I finally got cell C to sell me one, put credit on it but that never ever worked despite me going back to the shop where it was issued on numerous occassions, and they could not rectify the problem with Cell C - and guess what? They don't give refunds I was told by the Cell C man himself!!! :wall:
I finally managed to get someone to help me out with a Mtn sim and 3 weeks later on my departure at Johannesburg, the Cell C card still wasn't working! :evil:
I wasn't aware that one could hire one from the airport and will try this on my visit in October, thanks! :clap:

Post subject: Internet in parks
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:18 pm 

I would like to know if there is Internet access (WiFi or plug-in) in the Parks, as it would be very useful to post and check for sightings. Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next