Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie 3G
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nope no Wifi, if you do want to use the internet you have to go to the admin offices and they normally have a PC setup there which you can use to browse the net... :lol: :lol:

Also any searches that I did whilst in Lower Sabie did not yield any WIFI connections.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:12 am 

DinkyBird wrote:
I do not need to use a 'mobile' connection much, except when we travel and then I use my cellphone with data enabled on my contract and connect as a 'modem' to my pc via blue tooth. Depending of the type of signal where we are, I can get as fast a connection via 3G as we have here at home on dsl. Its always very stable, no matter where I connect ... just the speed differs.

Oh my goodness, DB!! Do you perhaps speak English too? :wink: I followed untill you got to the end of ..."when we travel and then I use my cellphone ..." and thereafter my PS just showed letters together that I dont get :( :big_eyes:

Does that bit about the cellphone mean I can phone my trip report (and photos) through to someone that adds it on the forum? :whistle:

:)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Get a mobile contract - works out much cheaper - Using your cell-phone costs at least R2.00 per MB , whereas it costs me R249 per month for 2GIG and this allows for a couple hundred hours connection per month .
I use a mobile all the time , on farm ,at home in Cape Town , on road , and any time for when I am not in the office . :whistle:
In KNP camps I got either at least EDGE or GPRS reception . In LSabie I had 3G .

Tieroog stay 8) man .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Post subject: Re: mobile reception inside Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There is a verification of identity now called RICA - it is the telecomms industry equivalent version of FICA.

You have to provide acceptable identifcation (PASSPORT) and proof of residential address (Perhaps a hotel booking is okay) for international visitors!

You can buy a starter pack for as little as R1.99 but it will not work until the RICA process is complete - as there is NO phone number on the SIM pack and it is obtained by dialing 100 on a Vodacom phone not sure what the MTN dial number is..

But all the outlets are extremely helpful. You must make sure that the SIM is capable of being opened for International calls (making & receiving), before I had a contract I could not use my pay as you go in Zambia. Therefore I think purchasing at OR Tambo would be better, they are geared up for International visitors. :D

I think a local Zambian SIM is also very cheap.. I have a friend in Zambia and can find out for you :D

JJ

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Post subject: Re: mobile reception inside Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:33 pm 

I've had both Mtn and Vodacom on previous visits to SA and no problem with network coverage. The last time I landed in Capetown first and tried numerous places outside the airport to get a card but they would not give me one unless I could get a SA resident to write a letter and bring their proof of address etc...= big mission!!!
I finally got cell C to sell me one, put credit on it but that never ever worked despite me going back to the shop where it was issued on numerous occassions, and they could not rectify the problem with Cell C - and guess what? They don't give refunds I was told by the Cell C man himself!!! :wall:
I finally managed to get someone to help me out with a Mtn sim and 3 weeks later on my departure at Johannesburg, the Cell C card still wasn't working! :evil:
I wasn't aware that one could hire one from the airport and will try this on my visit in October, thanks! :clap:

Post subject: Internet in parks
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:18 pm 

I would like to know if there is Internet access (WiFi or plug-in) in the Parks, as it would be very useful to post and check for sightings. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Internet in parks
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi kstone,
Firstly welcome to the Forum and on to your query.

KNP has Internet cafes at Skukuza, Lower Sabie and Berg and Dal. I connect to them via WiFi but you can use a plug in line. The easiest method is to use a cell phone as a modem and connect to it via WiFi unless you have a phone that is also a computer such as the Blackberry or HTC. The South African cell services have all the modern connection methods (3G etc.) so can be fairly fast.

Post subject: Re: Vodacom 3G signal in KNP?
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:04 am 

I used 3G in Lower Sabie a few weeks ago. :thumbs_up:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I had a Vodacom 3G modem during my Kruger stay in September, and it worked at almost every camp I went to (Punda Maria, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Letaba, Satara, Tamboti, Lower Sabie and Skukuza) but the signal was only 3G in Lower Sabie and Skukuza. At the other camps it was a different signal (forgot what it was called) which meant a slower internet connection but it still worked OK.
The only camp where I didn't get any signal at all was Biyamiti. I didn't go to BnD.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:17 pm 

Berg en Dal has very strong signal. Was there a month ago. Only camp I had a problem was at Tsendze.

Post subject: Re: Internet in Kruger.
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:16 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
When I bought my dongle from Vodacom about 2 years ago it cost about R1500. (It was for the dongle plus sim card on pay as you go). Have used it at Crocodile Bridge, Lower Sabie, Skukuza, Satara, Olifants without problems. Just don't count on a fast connection though :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:22 am 

When you exit the arrival area at OR Tambo airport, to your right are a Vodacom & MTN kiosks.
You can rent a USB modem for about 19 Rand per day plus useage. They'll set you up, takes about 10 minutes. I was able to get reasonable connection up to Olifants. Letaba - poor signal, could have been the location of the camp.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:02 pm 

Your current USB modem you are using in the UK will work here too, but you just need to change the Sim. Alternatively you can rent or buy one here. The price has gone down a bit and is around R1000 now.

The download speed varies from camp to camp though. I doubt there will be any HSDPA signal in the Park. The best for now will be 3G in Skukuza and BnD. In Satara you will only be able to get GPRS or Edge, which is the same for the other camps.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It all depends on what you want to do and how much your UK provider will charge for roaming in SA. If you only want to do e-mails, using Outlook, Outlook express, or similar software, and use text based e-mails - and ask your contacts to do the same! - then Internet usage can be quite small and economical.

However, web-based e-mail systems, Facebook, uploading pictures, and including photos in e-mails etc etc use megabytes and megabytes and the costs escalate.

On my last visit (over a year ago - role on Jan 29th!) gprs was available in all the camps. 3G as mentioned only rarely. This makes anything other than basic e-mail a bit slow. In some camps (eg Shingwedzi) the signal is a bit patchy but I have always found a spot with good connection.

In the past I have used my UK SIM and stuck to e-mails for daily reports and keping in touch. I have tried 'International SIMs' but they were no good for internet - but not checked this recently. Are good for cheap phone calls though.

This time I have a day around Jo'burg so will look at a SA SIM - but make sure you get one with data included! And that it will work with your laptop. Buying a new dongle will probably be too expensive overall but the rental system mentioned might be worth looking at.

Richard

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The Vodacom modem (dongle?) that I bought last September uses a separate SIM card from the one that I have for my phone. The SIM card for the modem needs to be "converted" for data.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next