Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Luckiest day ever!
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:33 pm 

I have a few lucky days in Kruger but one of the most memorable was a trip my Mom and I did to the Kruger a couple of years back.
She told me a story of this fabulous Baobab tree up in the North and insisted we had to drive up to go see ''Her special tree''...
We drove for hours (I think we were staying at Mopani or Shingwedzi) -
We are big birders so we made sure to stop at every bird and really had a good,fun drive.
We decided to stop for tea at Punda Maria before heading back to camp...
A few Km before the camp a huge Roan antelope ran across the road -
Right in front of our car! I was shocked, surprised and so happy as this was the first Roan Id ever seen (After visiting the park and working in the reserves bordering KNP for years)

So special...And yes, We did find her tree and it was gorgeous!

27 - 31 October 2011- Satara
31 October - 03 November 2011 - Biyamiti

30 December 2011 - 01 January 2012 - Berg En Dal
01 January 2012 - 05 January 2012 - Satara

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
2 days come to mind.

First day.
Left Pretoriuskop for Satara in the pouring rain, so thought we woulsee nothing much!!!
How wrong we were!!!
1 huge blackmaned lion.
6 lionesses.
2 (separate ) LIT.
Hugest rhino we've ever seen.

Sadly I had not at that stage joined the forums and been re educated, and was still big5 besotted, so
goodness knows how many lovely birds we missed!!

Second day.
Had spent a week in the park with overseas visitors, and we had seen leopard which was amazing, but they would like to have seen Lion and Cheetah as well.

We had breakfast at L Sabie and were exiting through Croc Bridge.

My friend had read in the Kruger Map Book, that the main road breween L Sabie and Croc bridge were good for game, but I just had a feeling about the S28!!!

We were near the Croc bridge end, when we came across a large pride of adults and cubs, who were on amission to go into the bush, so we had a short time only with them. Still we had sen them, and were just saying how great it was when we went round a corner and there was a beautiful cheetah walking up the road!!!

our friends were thrilled!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:59 pm 

Moving from Shingwedzi and Satara, just heading down the main tar road we got 4 different prides of lion, 2 with a kill. All but one in full view and only one or two cars at each sighting. Amazing.

Oh and this was the day after we saw 4 cheetah just by Punda Maria camp with an impala kill and the day before we saw another cheetah kill an impala at Nsemani dam.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mine would have to be the day we found two caracal kittens near Punda Maria sitting under a bush on the side of the road. We where able to slowly move closer to them and have some great shots. A moment I will never forget.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:57 pm 

Jock wrote:
A moment I will never forget.
Nor will I and surely an extremely lucky and very special day. :dance:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:38 pm 

Richprins wrote:
Jeeze! You guys seeing the same sighting on the same day! :big_eyes:
How lucky is that! :tongue: 8)

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:18 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

How about this one:

2 male lion just outside camp.
1 leopard male about 25 minutes later.
2 female lions about 10 minutes later.
Another 15 minutes on ... one female lion keeping watch over about 10 cubs of different ages.
At about this time it was getting light.
Got out of our vehicle for a walk.
- 5 minutes later we were running away from a charging elephant, jumping back in to the vehicle.
- saw buffalo, white rhino and various antelope on the rest of the walk.

Drove back to camp and got another pride of approx. 15 lions.
- male, females and cubs

All this before breakfast!
None of the sightings was shared with a single other vehicle.

Not a bad day at the office! 8)

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:35 pm 

It is amazing to read how the cats the sightings of the powerful animals stick in the memory.

My wow experience was very close to Shingwedzi, with my SO, mother and sister in the 4x4 we had been out on 'patrol' for the day.
As we turned off the bridge, back to Shingwedzi we thought our day was over as far as sightings were concerned.
We stopped to look at a big Eli walking down the river bank and then mother almost jumped out the car window with excitement.
Look, look she said and pointed to a Marshall Eagle sitting atop a very young Impala, ripping it to pieces under a big old tree.
We sat there for a good 35 minutes, listening and watching this magnificent bird tear into its meal.
The camcorder, camera and binocs all got a good working over, never mind our jaw muscles as the sounds filled our ears.

Just we had decided to leave we then heard a loud piercing shrieking call.
It’s one of a kind.
I just had to stop my smile from going all the way around my head.
As we looked up into the tree under which the Eagle was still feeding, we had two awesome Verreaux's Eagle Owls with the unmistakable pink eyelids calling to each other.

We couldn't believe our luck.
All of this a mere 5 minutes from the main gate at Shingwedzi.
The boerewors never tastes better and the beers never more refreshing than when we talked about our day under the African sky whilst sitting around the camp fire.

May 2014 Trip: Skukuza 10/11 May; Satara 12/13 May; L/Sabie 14 May; P/Kop 15 May.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:38 pm 

8) That's special! :thumbs_up:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Had some great bird sightings but they were 'isolated' and not part of the day except for the AHEs i mentioned.

But near Letaba, we saw 2 pairs of fish eagles fighting over a fish that one had caught.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I remember a night drive we had in Shingwedzi when we were visiting the Kruger in January 1999.
We were having a quite slow drive with not much sightings when one of the spotters with the spotlight, one of the visitors who was using the light to spot for the animals and not the Kruger guide, saw something in a tree a far way off, not too far from camp.
He had spotted only the shining eyes and asked the guide to stop the vehicle.
They were discussing what animal it was and the feeling on the truck was a little bored as the initial thoughts were that it wasn't anything peculiar.
The guide then confirmed through his binoculars that it was in fact a leopard in a tree that was spotted.
The mood on the truck changed from slight boredom to excitement in a second as everyone finally paid attention to the sighting.

After leaving the leopard we were on the gravel road from the Kanniedood dam and we had just reached the tar road T-junction to camp when we came upon fresh elephant urine and dung still steaming, the guide turned left to see if we could catch a glimpse of the elephant.
He drove to the bridge where he noticed eyes on the road.
We were greeted with 3 male lions just after the bridge over the river.
Our guide turned the vehicle around and when we came back the lions were on either side of the vehicle two on the right and one on the left on the edge of the road.

To really make our night one of the lions started roaring and his companion joined him in from the opposite side of the road.
The guide switched of the truck (still the old KNP guide vehicles) to really make our insides squirm with every sound.
Due to the vehicle being turned off the lights went off as well.
We sat there in total darkness with 3 huge male lions right next to us roaring in the night.
When they had finished and the guide switched on the vehicle the 12 people in the truck were all sitting as close to the middle of the truck far away from the sides of the vehicle.
After establishing that one of the lions did not in fact climb into the truck and start a instant buffet nervous laughter ensued from all in the vehicle.
We left the lions all extremely satisfied and chatting away as the adrenalin still pumped in our veins.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:42 pm 

In 2007 I was staying at Biyamiti and was on the tar road between LS and CB.
We had spotted a leopard that was tough to see, but it was our first leopard sighting of the trip, so we were very excited.
Someone came up to us and told us of a leopard on the S82 in a tree with a kill.
We headed there to see a beautiful leopard.

But that's not my luckiest day.
Fast forward to October 2008. I was driving on the S82 again.
I had just driven by the same tree as I saw the leopard in 2007.
I hadn't noticed it was the same tree right away, but something caught my eye that didn't seem quite right.
I decided to reverse and see what had caught my eye.
Up in the tree was a fresh impala.
The blood was still running out of the holes in its neck.
But no leopard in the tree.
We looked around, and in the tree next to the tree with the impala, was our leopard.
The same leopard that I had seen in 2007.
We had to leave shortly to make it to CB.
But the next morning we returned to find the same leopard, in the tree with the impala.
We had him for an hour all by ourselves.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:30 pm 

Carpe Diem, every day in Kruger is a lucky day.

If you mean lucky game viewing days: http://sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=54927

And in April 2010 we had about whole big 5 on one day, including 20 fighting lions... cowl, we have that on video:

And my heart is still in South Africa

http://sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=54927

Post subject: Re: Share your great sightings in Kruger here
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:30 pm 

Hi Everyone

Just back in Heidiland after 2 glorious weeks in the Park - had a great time (except for one or two organizational hick-ups - and of course Lake Panic being closed for longer than scheduled)

Experienced many many great highlight - just going to take some time to sift through the 20'000 odd photos (120 Gb!!) my SO and I took back home with us.

Some of the "big" sightings we had were:

Ground Hornbill catching and munching on a Brown House Snake
Bateleur with scrub hare
Saddle Bill Stork catching and swallowing a large barbel
Lion chasing zebra (no blood!)
Hornbill catching and eating scorpion
Pied Kingfisher catching and eating a kurper
Ratel!
Sables
Numerous lion / buffalo kills ho...hum... :lol:
4 or 5 really great Martial Eagle sightings
All the close up Bateleur sightings
........... and many many more

Once the work is complete, I'll publish some of the better ones

Till then

Fanki

Post subject: Re: The "whoow" sighting or event in KNP
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:07 pm 

My "whoow” sighting was what I still call my best morning in Kruger ever :D

17/09/2009 at 06h15 I find a small pride of lions (2 adult females and 3 cubs) lying on the s36 very relaxed , one even was doing her nails (using a tree) , we then drove south towards Lugmag dam. At 06h41 we came across two young male rhinos in the road both very relaxed and in no hurry at all. About 100 meters passed the rhinos we found a young hyena resting just off the road , it popped its head up as we approached but again didn't take off , by now we are referring to our car as the 'valium landy' ..

We reach Lugmag dam and find a lone male kudu on an island about 30 meters from the bank and he does not look well at all, he is standing motionless on this island with its head down. We then spot 4 lions (3 females and a young male ) watching this male but from the bank , one female manages to finds her way on to the island and begins stalking the kudu (the other 3 lions could figure out how to cross the water ) . The Kudu just sits down behind a tree and the lion strikes, the kudu did not even put up a fight. All the commotion has awaken the local hippo population and one hippo walks out on to the bank and strides up to the tree (lion and dead kudu on other side ) it sniffs the kudu backs away , yawns and then walks back to the water.

In the meantime, one lion is on the far side of the dam, the other two are off to our right out of sight (all still trying to work out how to get to the meal).

Then a huge herd of Elephants arrives on the far side of the dam to drink (42 in total) just then to our right the other two lions chase two buffalos into shallow water and across to the other side of the dam. The elephants hear the commotion take off at a serious run and disappear over the dam wall.
Meanwhile one lion jumps onto the back of the buffalo but falls off and is then chased off by the other buffalo. We then decided to move our vehicle to try get a better view of the lion with the kudu. As we watch the lion enjoying its kudu meal , across the dam we spot a lone Sable antelope that has popped down for a drink.

Just when we think we’ve seen it all, we notice a lone baby elephant wanders in towards the dam (same direction the herd arrived from) we spot one female lion approaching head on towards the elephant. We expect the worst but at about 10 meters away, the lion moves away it stops parallel to the baby, looks at the elephant then just walks away, leaving the elephant to clamber over the dam wall in pursuit of its herd.

All this happened between 06h15 and 09h52 in the morning. All this is on photographs but not sure if I can load 19 photos on this site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next