Skip to Content

Game in north of Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park

Re: Game in north of Kruger.

Unread postby jb72 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:29 am

Hi everyone,

We were in Shing for 4 nights in June. Was wonderful as always. Have nearly forgotten how many ele's there are. Especially in the late afternoons if you drive the river roads. Had the usual amount of "incidents", but this time was the closest ever to being killed. And I don't say that lightly - had we been in a smaller car, or maybe someone less experienced driving it would have been tickets. But that's a story for another day....

Sightings were good as always. Wild dogs twice in one morning, cheetah with 4 cubs eating breakfast, caracal, big pride of lions being chased by ele's, eland, tsesebe etc. Never more than 3 cars at any sighting. No leopards though :evil: Maybe next time.

So in a nutshell: the north is always worth a visit!!! :thumbs_up:

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Agree with everything previously said. :thumbs_up:

There is definitely less game in the North, but still plenty to see, and all the more special because it is rarer!!! Also, you may well have these sightings all to yourself, or with only the odd other car.............virtually no JJs either!!!! :whistle:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Addo Feb 2-5 2016
Storms River Feb 5-8 2016
Kruger Feb 21-Mar 10th 2016

Unread postby matbe » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:58 pm

We had 2 nights in Shingwedzi just last week, we travelled north expecting to see little game as that was the impression we'd been given by others and this forum. Well I can only say that we saw as much if not more game than we did in the south of the park, certainly in terms of numbers, bigger herds and sometimes more frequently. We also had some amazing Lion sightings and as has been said, with just us and maybe one other car.
If anything we found that there were some days in the south that we saw very little for hours on end, especially on the western side, it was never like that north of Shingwedzi, we saw game on a regular basis every day.

Unread postby chrstnmcbt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:59 pm

We had a fabulous 7 days in the north of Kruger in September 2014 and were delighted with the numbers and variety of wildlife we encountered. We stayed at Letaba, Shingwedzi and Punda. We stopped counting elephant after 200 and saw loads of buffalo, hippo. crocs, baboons, vervet monkeys, zebra, nyala, giraffe, warthog, mongoose (dwarf and banded), impala, busbuck, waterbuck, wildebeest, sable and kudu. Saw a civet cat, large and small genet cats, fruit bats, bush baby, steenbok, duiker, grysbok, grey rehebok, scrub hare and tree squirrels. We heard hyenas and a lion. We also spotted a snout nose cobra in a tree hollow and confirmed at Khamai Reptile Center, Hoedspruit. One highlight was meeting a croc walkng along the road some distance from the river on a night game drive from Shingwedzi. I identified 70 bird species -saw loads more but unable to confirm unless they were on the ground or sitting in a tree! Can't wait to return next year. McAfrica

Animals in the Northern part of Kruger

Unread postby lucbo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi there,

We'll visit the Northern part of Kruger in September this year and stay in Mopani and Sirheni. In our previous visits we never went higher up than Letaba. Which animals could we expect to see that you don't or seldom see in the Southern part?

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Animals in the Northern part of Kruger

Unread postby Imberbe » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Lots of ellies and buffalo ...

And then you can potentially see antelope like Tsessebe, Roan, Sharps greysbok and Eland.

We recently removed the fence on the Roan breeding camp near Mopani. Lots of them are now becoming visible in the area as they are starting to move around.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postby RolfB » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Can confirm...was in Shingwedzi in July..huge herds of buffalo and elephant.. most we have ever seen. Can only encourage you to visit this part of KNP... for us the best part!

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:57 pm

lucbo, have a read of North or South for some great info. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Unread postby lucbo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:12 am

Many thanks for your replies! I am getting even more excited about our trip, less than a month from now!

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Garyd73 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:48 pm

Great pic RolfB, amazing collection of animals in one place.

I shouldn't have started reading this as I am desperate for my visit this year in October and now doubly so. Like Lucbo I have only been as far north as Letaba but will be spending time at Mopani, Shing and Letaba before heading further south to Satara and Lower Sabie or Skukuza.

Normally I only have 2 or 3 things on my wishlist to see but this year it's as long as my arm, even if I see none I will be very happy and eager to see if there is more bird life further north.

Here is what I would like to see this year from the possibles list, most of which would be new to me:

Black Rhino
Dung Beetle
Crested Guinea Fowl
Any Bee Eater
Any Owl
Any Snake

And ones we have seen in the south but still on the list:

Back to the old TT to feed my habit until October
KNP - Sept 2013 - 5 Days
KNP - Sept 2014 - 7 Days
KNP - April 2015 - 7 Days
KNP - October 2015 - 10 Days