Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Suggestions for the North part of NKP
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:28 am 

Hello everybody,
Next saterday I fly to NKP, north part. I'll stay in Punda, Sirheni, Shingwedsi, Bateleur, Mopani and Letaba. If anybody have good advice or suggestions about things to see (birds and game are very very welcome), please let me know. Specificaly places which are good for photografing!Can't wait to leave this very wet and cold and windy Holland!
Ronald V

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for the North part of NKP
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ronald

I just want to let you know of this special place around Letaba. Not too sure what the name of the road is anymore but I think it is called the S62. It is the first dirt road you get as soon as you cross the bridge when traveling from Letaba to Mopani. This road isn't very long but takes you to one of the most scenic lookouts in Kruger. The plus side is that it also isn't very busy and you can sometimes have this lookout all to your self.

The North has a very special feeling and the bird life is wonderful. Game wise the North is a bit more quiet than the south but the nice thing is that you sometimes get a sighting all to your self.

Here is the view of the lookout

Hope you have a great time

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Letaba - spend time in the camp for rewarding birding; drive the S62 and visit Matambeni Birdhide and Longwe. Shingwedzi - the S50 along the Kanniedood Dam, the S52 Red Rocks Loop, the S56 Mophongolo loop. 3 of my ultimate favourite routes in KNP! Punda Maria - the S63 through Pafuri is THE road in KNP. Pafuri Picnic Spot is a little piece of heaven. The S64 Nyala Drive is stunning; the S99 Mahonie Loop around Punda Maria. Take the time to do the walking trail in camp - beautiful and rewarding birding. All are great for photography. I know, I travel with Duques :lol: The North is the essence of KNP. Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ronald , you have chosen well , particularly with Sirheni and Shingwedzi areas , not to mention the Pafuri area north of Punda Maria . There are magical drives along quieter , winding roads which follow the Shingwedzi , Levhuvu & Mphongolo rivers !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And dont forget to keep a lookout for Hlanganini, (IMO - currently the biggest tusker in Kruger) around Letaba, he seems to like posing for photographs as he shows himself to visitors all the time.

Here is a pic of him (you will recognise him by his left earlobe that is only half)

Have a great time :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:34 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

DotDan wrote:
Not too sure what the name of the road is anymore but I think it is called the S62.

Yep!

And when you are on the S62, spend some time at Matambeni hide, and do the other loops as well. There is a little, well, tiny loop, that brings you to the side of Engelhard dam, which is a very scenic place too.

Another view from Longwe lookout:

The Engelhard Dam:

The loop to Anna Ledeboer's grave:

(Greets from a grey Rijswijk! :lol: )

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:16 pm 

One of the top 5 drives in the whole park ,in my book, is the Mahonie Loop around Punda.

The Pafuri rd is also a must; especially when wet. Ask for Frank at the picnic site and he could show you some lifers. Dont forget the tip !

Klopperfontein Dam is always good; especially for birds

Mphongolo Loop, S56, is another in my top 5 drives in KNP.

Red Rocks Rd to Bateleur is often very rewarding. Also the dams there.

Tropic of Capricorn rd is another great. Its a very open and flat rd where i have picked up Roan and Tsessebe.

The North rocks baby...

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:31 pm 

Seen two leopards last year around Shingwedzi , one on the Lamont loop and the other on the main road H1-6 in direction of Mopani between the road for red rocks and the old main road ( north part ) .
Go early in the morning on the lower bridge when you can there are often good sightings from there .
I found also the tropic of capricorn loop and the S50 very scenic drive.
We had a very nice sighting of hundred buffalos taking bath at Nshawu this year in the evening , saw also tsessebe there .
But we missed three roan antelopes that a car saw just before us between Grootvlei dam and Shibavantsengele :(
Have also a look at Bowkerkop when going back to Mopani before the gates close .
Have a nice stay :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:44 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Take time on the highwaterbridge between Letaba and Shingwedzi (just outside Letaba)
And the road next to river at Letaba is a great one
So is the one at Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:11 am 

Hello everybody, at this very moment I'm cleaning all my CF memorycards because I think I need a lot of space for my camera!
DotDan: S62 looks great to me!
Guinea Pig: I try all your routs!
ndloti: I can't wait to arrive at Sirheni, heard great things about it!
DuQues: as you could read: I marked the S62 on my map already!
Aquilla: sure gonna try your top 5!
Mgoddard: thanks very much! I hope I'll see Hlanganini! If: I'll send you one of mine!
Anne Catharine: Bowkerskop should be beautiful. Thanks for the tip!
Bert: marked it on the route!
So, now I have to pack more than 20 pounds of camerastuff and leave this rainy Holland! Great!
Thanks for all youre suggestions :clap:
Ronald Vossebelt

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:58 pm 

Great advice from everybody but here’s just one more bit.

When you are exhausted, your eyes are sore from game spotting and you are searching for a shady spot buy the river to have a rest and a sandwich. Don’t forget to look very carefully in the tree you intend to rest under before parking up, as the local Leopard could be having the same idea as you, [cool shady tree with a good view].
It happened to us in ’07 but the first we knew was two amber eyes from 5-6m away coming down the tree!!! On the S50 on the brilliant section south of the Kanniedood Dam.

Have a great trip.

Post subject: Wildlife around Sirheni
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As we are going there for 4 nights next year I would just like to know if people have had any sightings and where it was.Also the staff and how the night drives are.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Wildlife around Sirheni
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:46 am 

Hi
We always stay at Sirheni when in the park. Have seen a huge herd of elephant pass by right at the fence, the babies so small that they were stumbling in their mother's footsteps. There are always two or three old buffalo wallowing in the water, and an elephant that swims across the dam each afternoon. We have seen lion on the private road more than once. Apparently there is a leopard that comes down to drink on the opposite side (near hut 13, I think). The birdlife is really fantastic - always spend a day in the camp walking around or sitting on the veranda with my binoculars. The staff are very good and most helpful. It is my most favourite camp, so peaceful. Have not been on a night drive, sorry. Hope you enjoy your stay! :)
Regards, Neecie

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

All I can add is that Sirheni is in my opinion , the best bushveld camp of all !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
All I can add is that Sirheni is in my opinion , the best bushveld camp of all !

I second that :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next