Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I usually plan the routes beforehand, but if I get local info I sometimes change and go with impulse.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:16 am 

We generally plan the major route before we enter the park, (IE Letaba, Satara & Orpen) but we often deviate based on how we feel at the time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We spend hours in the evenings planning where we will go the next day. Study the maps, decide on the brunch venue. Then the minute we leave the camp the next morinig, someone will say "MY gut says there's a leopard down smoe other road" Who knows why we plan cos we hardly ever follow the planned route, but the planning is fun anyway. It's all part of the family Kruger experience :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We sort of plan, but i think all the fun is driving where you want to on impulse, feeling free to go anywhere , and i admit sometimes overhearing someone talk about a lion or leopard with a kill may influence our route choice :redface: but other than that while sitting around the "hardekool' fire we decide on which picnic spot we are going to for breakfast and also a certain area/vegetation we would most like to drive. we are also the ones who drive around all day.

Another reason i like to make road choices as we go is that if we see some special sighting we may decide to sit and enjoy it for an hour or so (provided we dont get caught in a traffic jam) and then you dont have to mess up an entire schedule. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:49 pm 

I get very excited and plan my entrance into the park, and the routes around the camps, including noting picnic sites, reportedly good roads for viewing( according to books etc)! this goes on for weeks prior to going!!!
However like many others, these may change cos of a reported sighting or our bush gut feeling just makes you turn left instead of right. I also like to cover a route that I didnt before, but also go on some favourites!
So, having said all that- It looks like I just drive and spend the time out on the road!- Nice how plans come together!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:26 pm 

having never been to the north of the park (until Aug 1 this year :dance: ), i normally take the road that the cars in front of me dont! The isolation and quietness of an empty dirt road is something special- last year myself and my sister drove the dirt road just north of tshokwane back down to skukuza and saw only one car in 3 hours!(this is in the 1st week of january!)

We had about 5 seperate giraffe sightings, including one where about 8-10 giraffes were browsing next to us as we rolled slowly downhill. We also saw many raptors, including a martial eagle in a tree about 5 metres away, a massive rock monitor, kudu, waterbuck, about 10 species of bird, all this in 36 degree heat (yes we are also the crazies that drive all day)

Besides the sightings, the best part was how remote and peaceful it was. As a famous person once said "the problem with this world is the people", and the joy of kruger is that you can avoid people alot of the time- and those you do meet feel the same as you do!

- Albert Einstein

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:38 pm 

When my husband and i go to kruger, everything is very well planed. For os it is a trip of a live time. And very expensive. I am so lucky, that my husband dont have the same love for the bush, as i do, so i have the full power of organize where to go. But when we are there, we do exactly as you said Morphaso. We go the way the car in front of os diden`t take. The best thing is, to have it all alone, but that can be a little difficult, except if you go high op north. our last trip to kruger, we stayed in punda maria camp, that was great, we had it all alone.
We do listen to what other people have seen, near the camp we are staying, and i love to tell back, where i have spotted a leopard.

satara 13 nov 08
letaba 14 nov 08
olifants 15-16 nov 08
skukuza 17-18 nov 08
Tamboti 19 Nov 08

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:16 am 

I always plan my routes before arriving in the park. I don't always stick to the plan, especially in the afternoon.

For my next trip, I've planned my routes for the 1st 5 or 6 days we're in the park, but have a couple of different plans for the last 6 days. Depending on what we see the first half our our trip, we might take one route instead of another if it offers a better chance to see something we haven't seen yet.

Post subject: Re: Do you plan what routes to drive, or do you go by feeling?
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Reg wrote:
Before a trip I love to plan our routes using books and the forum in particular. When planning I consider the following; distance/time, Breakfast/Sundowners spots, direction when the sun is low (I try drive west in the early morning and east in the late evening), places to strech the legs and look at the small things (hides, pinic spots, bridges and lookouts). i will often plan to retrace my steps if the altenative routes back are likely to be less spectacular.

Once in the park all this planning may be tossed out the window once I have consulted the sightings board and chatted to other visitors and staff, but it was fun anyway! :lol:

Looks like we are IDENTICAL in this regard. I also try to do the east-west thing aswell :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:17 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I plan and dream about them for months.
With one of the many Kruger maps open in front of me 8)

But in Kruger i usually drive away from the sun, for taking photographs into the sun is a hazard.
But always drive a new route everytime. :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We normally plan the next days routes at the evening braai. Well I do, the others just go with.
We do this with a picnic spot in mind to have a brunch.

And lately I do this with birding in mind, following suggestions in the Best Birding In Kruger Book.

Sometimes my parents would complain about having to be in the car from gate opening till closing and want to spend some time in the camp.( they believe they are getting older :roll: )
My husband then usually joins them, so I go off on my own, with no specific road in mind then.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I plan all my routes, then go by feeling in the morning as I leave camp.
Its more fun that way.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:11 pm 

We plan to the extent that we try to cover as many roads as possible around the camps. We favor Satara because one can choose to trek NSE or W. However, I do something that I expect not many people will trouble to do. I log the dates, the roads and the sightings. with super interesting things I also log the GPS readings. I have been doing this for a good many years and when I return home I enter all the data in a very large spread sheet that calculates and displays for me the number of sightings per species on which road and because I go to the park at different times of the year, I can get some idea of where the animals might, repeat, might, be at what time of year.
I cannot claim that this is reliable or scientific but I could at one time I could predict where the winter and summer feeding areas were and relate that to a particular ecosystem. My data does tell me that in the last few years, since the controversy of elephant culling and at the same time, game capture and removal to MZ, that there are many fewer animals in the central area of the park around Satara than there used to be.
I have been hearing that of late there is an abundance of animals in the southern areas around Lower Sabie and Croc Bridge. I wonder if that has something to do with the huge fires of last year that cleared out all the underbrush?

KenS

Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Go by feeling is the only way to go. If you know beforehand where the animals are, it will take the mystery out of Kruger, because then it will be like a zoo. I normally travel west during the morning (sun at the back) and east in the afternoon. Planning and sticking to the plan becomes office like, and that is what I try to get away from.

Post subject: Re: Do you plan what routes to drive, or do you go by feelin
Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:23 am 

Sorry if I gave the impression that I plan my routes, I definitely do not and I take an interest in all that I come across from insects to elephant and vegetation. I simply record where I have been and what I have seen. When I am at the back of the queue, early in the morning waiting for the gate to open I wonder where everyone else is going and if they know something that I do not. But I still nurdle along my own route and like it best when there are no other vehicles around.
it seems to me that there are two kinds of game viewers, the sitters and the traveler. A friend of mine will sit at a waterhole for hours if not the whole day whereas I like to be on the move. he seems to see a fair amount of game but not as much or as varied as I do. how do others feel about this?
I work on the theory that game, when it is traversing between drinking and feeding areas, will follow pretty regular paths and at at some time they will likely cross a road. With a bit of luck I will be there at the same time.
Every time I go to the Kruger I always see something new. I was there three weeks ago and for the first time I saw a couple of Cory Bustards fly. their takeoff sequence was amazing but nothing compared with the huge wingspan and flying technique. Guess what? I did not have a video camera.
KenS