Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:03 pm 

If you are not on the road or at any viewpoint, you will not see anything. Plan you pit stops for SO and follow the flow. I only plan till I get to the gate and then I follow my instinct.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I normaly plan the night before at the camp which road i going to take the next day, but often change it as a result of too many cars turning off on my planned road. It's only when i change camps that i intend to keep to my planned route for the trip. Also tries to drive the roads in that area that i have never driven before.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I normally plan more or less, what (main) route, taking into account famous roads, hides, picnic places...aswell as roadcondition and vegetationtypes. If the road is very unpleasant to drive on, I somma skip it, and certain places will only have a once off short visit....others 5 !

I like to check every dam or waterhole, but if I see eg. vultures in the air close to a bad dustroad, I will not let that pass :P

It also often depends on what I really want to see :wink:
Often when I dont see much, I tend to drive till I see it :redface:

Last edited by G@mespotter on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We spend plenty of time prior to our trip talking about and planning the roads we would most like to include in our adventure (it's like a virtual tour), this is part of the experience for us. The only thing we really stick to (even this changes sometimes) are the breakfast stops... nothing better than a good bush breakfast. However, how we get to the breakfast destination is pretty much decided over the BBQ.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I usually plan the routes beforehand, but if I get local info I sometimes change and go with impulse.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:16 am 

We generally plan the major route before we enter the park, (IE Letaba, Satara & Orpen) but we often deviate based on how we feel at the time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We spend hours in the evenings planning where we will go the next day. Study the maps, decide on the brunch venue. Then the minute we leave the camp the next morinig, someone will say "MY gut says there's a leopard down smoe other road" Who knows why we plan cos we hardly ever follow the planned route, but the planning is fun anyway. It's all part of the family Kruger experience :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We sort of plan, but i think all the fun is driving where you want to on impulse, feeling free to go anywhere , and i admit sometimes overhearing someone talk about a lion or leopard with a kill may influence our route choice :redface: but other than that while sitting around the "hardekool' fire we decide on which picnic spot we are going to for breakfast and also a certain area/vegetation we would most like to drive. we are also the ones who drive around all day.

Another reason i like to make road choices as we go is that if we see some special sighting we may decide to sit and enjoy it for an hour or so (provided we dont get caught in a traffic jam) and then you dont have to mess up an entire schedule. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:49 pm 

I get very excited and plan my entrance into the park, and the routes around the camps, including noting picnic sites, reportedly good roads for viewing( according to books etc)! this goes on for weeks prior to going!!!
However like many others, these may change cos of a reported sighting or our bush gut feeling just makes you turn left instead of right. I also like to cover a route that I didnt before, but also go on some favourites!
So, having said all that- It looks like I just drive and spend the time out on the road!- Nice how plans come together!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I just point.

I think I am very fortunate, I am a frequent visitor. I do not need sightings, as such.

Just point.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes, you are very lucky MM :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :imsmilin:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:26 pm 

having never been to the north of the park (until Aug 1 this year :dance: ), i normally take the road that the cars in front of me dont! The isolation and quietness of an empty dirt road is something special- last year myself and my sister drove the dirt road just north of tshokwane back down to skukuza and saw only one car in 3 hours!(this is in the 1st week of january!)

We had about 5 seperate giraffe sightings, including one where about 8-10 giraffes were browsing next to us as we rolled slowly downhill. We also saw many raptors, including a martial eagle in a tree about 5 metres away, a massive rock monitor, kudu, waterbuck, about 10 species of bird, all this in 36 degree heat (yes we are also the crazies that drive all day)

Besides the sightings, the best part was how remote and peaceful it was. As a famous person once said "the problem with this world is the people", and the joy of kruger is that you can avoid people alot of the time- and those you do meet feel the same as you do!

- Albert Einstein

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:38 pm 

When my husband and i go to kruger, everything is very well planed. For os it is a trip of a live time. And very expensive. I am so lucky, that my husband dont have the same love for the bush, as i do, so i have the full power of organize where to go. But when we are there, we do exactly as you said Morphaso. We go the way the car in front of os diden`t take. The best thing is, to have it all alone, but that can be a little difficult, except if you go high op north. our last trip to kruger, we stayed in punda maria camp, that was great, we had it all alone.
We do listen to what other people have seen, near the camp we are staying, and i love to tell back, where i have spotted a leopard.

satara 13 nov 08
letaba 14 nov 08
olifants 15-16 nov 08
skukuza 17-18 nov 08
Tamboti 19 Nov 08

Post subject: Scandinavian Chicks!
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:12 pm 
Anita Svejsø wrote:
I am so lucky, that my husband dont have the same love for the bush, as i do, so i have the full power of organize where to go.

:shock:

First point in my planning is the Picnic spot.

Thereafter I do not deviate, going directly for all waterholes along the route, and should I find one with "action", I gratefully sit on my bum. 8)

Post subject: Re: Scandinavian Chicks!
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:23 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
Richprins wrote:
I gratefully sit on my bum. 8)

So we have noticed, judging by your avatar :lol: :lol sorry I just couldn't resist

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next