Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Honeymoon in Kruger Park?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:29 pm 

Hi there,

I got engaged quite a few months ago in the Kruger National Park at the top of Metakanyane look out point.

As a result as part of my honeymoon planning I would like to stay a few nights in Kruger Park.

What would you recommend as the best accomodation available in Kruger Park other than the private game lodges which charge upwards of R3000 a night per person.

When we got engaged we stayed in one of the newly renovated bungalows at Lower Sabie, which had a great view of the river and had its own kitchenette and veranda etc etc.

Something along these lines would be great however to try and get that specific bungalow/type of accomodation for the period I want seems to be a problem even though i am booking 9 months in advance. I have tried to contact reservations@sanparks.org with no response and have now emailed two of the satelite reservation people in the hopes that they can help to find me something at Lower Sabie with a riverview etc.

Any other ideas and advice with my planned trip would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:57 pm 

Congats

One of my best spots is at Lataba bungalow 34, it has a great view of the river and has a beautiful sunset.
I am sure you will find other thing to do :D
Karl

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:59 pm 

LOL, birds and the bees.

Ok seriously, my budget isn't small, and I am looking for something fairly luxurious however accomodation such as Jock Safari and those type places are a bit steep if I want to spend 5 nights in the Kruger Park and then continue onto the rest of my planned destinations.

The Luxury Riverside bungalows at Skukuza etc are quite affordable for my trip however I am keen to be stay somewhere with a nice view such as the Lower Sabie riverview etc.

We want to spend somewhere with an equivalent type of stunning view and abundant game as Lower Sabie etc.

Post subject: Re: Best affordable Honeymoon accomodation in Kruger Park?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:03 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

First of all, congrats to you both! 8)
Razz wrote:
Something along these lines would be great however to try and get that specific bungalow/type of accommodation for the period I want seems to be a problem even though I am booking 9 months in advance.
I have tried to contact reservations@sanparks.org with no response and have now emailed two of the satellite reservation people in the hopes that they can help to find me something at Lower Sabie with a river view etc.

If you want Lower Sabie just book it, in the class you want.
The final assigning of the units itself is done less than a week before the date, so contact reservations a little before that, tell them it's your honeymoon and that you really would like to have bungalow #xx.
If at all possible they will arrange it.

I can recommend Olifants number 1-9, (especially the latter), the view from there is simply stunning!
That's where GP and I spent 2 days of our honeymoon.....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:09 pm 

razz, why don't you try one of the bushcamps? They are a bit more rustic but really special in a lot of ways. Letaba & LS would be good if you get the right Bungalow. Congrats & may you live happily ever after.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:12 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Talamati??? :dance: :dance:
(Yes, we were there for the honeymoon as well! :lol: )

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:02 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The safari tents at Punda could fit the bill
Nice, secluded and some have a great view

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Congratulations Razz! I can offer two suggestions. The luxury tents at Tamboti have a view over the dry Timbavati riverbed and all have a double bed. Ask for #40, which is the most private, with fence on two sides.

Or for a water view, why not try Shimuwini? All chalets have a view over the Letaba river and the camp has prolific birdlife. Here I'd recommend #12, quite private and quite close to the river. But no double bed. :wink:

Both of these camps are small and tranquil. Game viewing is somewhat better in the Tamboti area, but each camp is a big favourite of mine.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:03 pm 

I'll second Tamboti, peace, quiet and privacy guaranteed. But it's self catering so you'd have to cook and personally I wouldn't want to do that on honeymoon.

Have you thought about Roodewal. You book the whole camp out so it would be perfect. A couple of nights wouldn't be that expensive. Only problem is getting it :(

Otherwise the Riverview bungalows at Oliphants would be worth looking at.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:43 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

To make it a little easier, how's this:

That's bungalow #11 at Talamati. With livingroom, full kitchen, bedroom and big bathroom with separate bath and shower.

Post subject: Lodge for honeymoon
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:25 pm 

Hi guys,
First of all compliment for the forum.
My name is Luca, I am Italian and I am planning my honeymoon in South Africa. I am visiting Kruger area next June.
What lodge do you suggest for 3 beautiful and unfogettable days?
There are many camps and loges and I have seen on the internet also beautiful private game reserve near Kruger.
I am interested also in game drives and all private reserve offers 2 dayly game drives.
What do you think, it is better to book a private game lodge or not?
In any case what do you think are the best accomodations for an honeymoon?
I have also another question, I will arrive to Mpumalanga airport, is it better to get a car and drive to my accomodation or book a transfer?
Thank you in advance

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:49 pm 

Hi Luca.
If you ask this forum it will be KNP all the way.
It all depends what you want.
If you book at the private reserves you will be kept busy day & night with no time for :hmz: .........How do I put this :twisted:

In any case there are some really good concessions in the park & good lodges outside.
Try and free yourself up a little bit for those special moments.
It is much better to sit on the deck of your own private tent in Tambotie watching the sun go down with a bit of bubbly(& please try our SA sparkling wine as it is as good as Champers any time - just can't call it that due to trade mark reg.) than with some guide(Sorry) as who knows what can follow :lol: in this romantic place.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:22 pm 

Hi Luca,

I think a lot depends on your budget.
If you can spend a bit more, I would say definitely go to a nice lodge - inside the Kruger for instance there is Jock Safari Lodge which I think is perfect for a few days on honeymoon.
You have your own private splash pool and an open air shower with a view of the bush!
And a very romantic bath indoors (also with a view).
You go on early morning game drive and late afternoon, but in between there is some time to relax in the privacy of your own room/suite.
The place has a nice laid back atmosphere.
If you want you can have dinner on your own veranda one evening, then it will be brought to your room.

If you decide on a lodge like that (either in the KNP or in the private reserves next to it), I would say don't rent a car but get a transfer because you wont' use the (rental) car while you're at the lodge.

If your budget is lower, there are some nice bush camps of the Kruger that is a bit more private than the main camps, like Tamboti already mentioned.
Just be careful if you don't want to cook your own meals - the bush camps generally don't have restaurants and you have to self-cater. (But maybe you like cooking!)

Post subject: Re: Lodge for honeymoon
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:58 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

yuk76 wrote:
I am interested also in game drives and all private reserve offers 2 dayly game drives.
What do you think, it is better to book a private game lodge or not?

If it's the drives you want then it's Kruger all the way. Rent a car and you'll be able to drive as much as you want. Well, between 06:00 and 17:30 that is. Book a nightdrive to see the noctural animals.
As for where to stay... Non-lodge I would choose Olifants if I don't feel like cooking or having a braai. I have very good experiences with the restaurant there.
If cooking is no trouble then Talamati, unless you want to have a whole camp to yourselves? Roodewal??

Whatever camp you choose, try to do a bushbraai....

Post subject: Help us plan part of our Honeymoon in Kruger!
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:15 pm 

We are spending 6 nights in Kruger in mid December 08 (2 @ Skukuza, 2 @ Letaba and 2 @ Shingwedzi - all accomodation booked :dance: ). Given the good part of 2 days will be driving from Skukuza - Letaba and Letaba - Shingwedzi we would be grateful to hear peoples advice on planning activities.

Of the 3 camps above what would people recommend for morning/sunset/evening drives and morning/afternoon bushwalks?

Should we book these in advance given it seems a busy time of year with the school holidays?

Will we have a problem driving these distances between the 3 camps?

Any other advice would be brilliant of course! :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next