Skip to Content

Record number of visitors in KNP

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Elmar

Record number of visitors in KNP

Unread postby Elmar » Mon May 25, 2015 7:03 pm

The front page of the Beeld newspaper reported today that a record number of visitors visited the KNP during 2013 - 1 659 793 of which 1277 397 were day visitors.

I would like to see these statistics over time. My observation is that the number of day visitors have drastically increased over time. The extent of developments on the border of the park and the number of visitors entering with tour operators being a contributing factor.

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Record number of visitors in KNP

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue May 26, 2015 7:38 am

Elmar thanks for sharing this interesting information.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Tue May 26, 2015 9:52 am

Judging from the queues and queues of vehicles one find at Park entrance gates in the morning... its good for revenue for the Park.

According to me all Sanparks, but especially the Kruger is fast becoming a world class holiday destination. Keep up the good work!!!

One can just think with the increase in visitor numbers, one should expect an increase in income too.

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue May 26, 2015 10:48 am

Not sure what the balance is between the number of visitors and the eventual impact on the environment and the overall Kruger experience. The Kruger National Park needs money to continue to exist. To me personally it is sad though that the animals, birds, nature, atmosphere etc etc of the Kruger National Park maybe seen as Articles for Trade to generate more money. Already the southern Kruger is sometimes filled up with so many visitors especially at certain times of the year and over week-ends that it becomes overcrowded and at lion sightings for example frantic human stampedes do occur. Animals crushed to death by speeding vehicles are also seen as the animals just cannot outrun the number of vehicles on the roads of which some are speeding.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Tue May 26, 2015 12:14 pm

That's why, GM, we all have to be responsible tourists... what would the long term vision be? Creating another picnic spot in between Lower Sabie/ Pretoriuskop/ Skukuza?

Another bushcamp in a horisontal line from Tshokwane?

Do we want the Kruger to become a second Masai Mara with 50 vehicles per predator sighting?

It's a difficult juggle between generating revenue vs sustained revenue vs increased vehicles/visitors

Elmar

Unread postby Elmar » Tue May 26, 2015 4:59 pm

Grantmissy wrote:Not sure what the balance is between the number of visitors and the eventual impact on the environment and the overall Kruger experience. The Kruger National Park needs money to continue to exist. To me personally it is sad though that the animals, birds, nature, atmosphere etc etc of the Kruger National Park maybe seen as Articles for Trade to generate more money. Already the southern Kruger is sometimes filled up with so many visitors especially at certain times of the year and over week-ends that it becomes overcrowded and at lion sightings for example frantic human stampedes do occur. Animals crushed to death by speeding vehicles are also seen as the animals just cannot outrun the number of vehicles on the roads of which some are speeding.

Grantmissy, you have summed it up nicely. The atmosphere of Kruger has changed over time. I recall my first visits to the Park in the 1980's. It was a different place then. Luckily there is a part north of Letaba which still has some of the old character. But keep it quiet, please.

Birgitta

Unread postby Birgitta » Tue May 26, 2015 5:26 pm

Elmar,

The numbers seem odd. If you make a calculation there would be only 382,396 overnight visitors, i.e. rougly 1050 per night.

Some years ago, I made a rough estimate that there are 10,000 beds in KNP excluding camping sites. The occupancy rate cannot be only 10%. Either number is incorrect, likely the day-visitor one.

Elmar

Unread postby Elmar » Tue May 26, 2015 5:50 pm

Here is a link to another article quoting the same numbers: http://www.mylowveld.com/blog/record-nu ... rs-to-knp/

Birgitta

Unread postby Birgitta » Tue May 26, 2015 6:11 pm

I do not want to run into a long argument but the numbers do not make sence whoever have presented them. If you make another calculation, the mean accomodation rate would be 1000 ZAR per person which cannot be correct either. We all know that. I strongly believe the numbers have been mixed up in the press release and presentation.

It is embarrassing to SANPARKS if incorrect numbers are published. It may though be that they have been incorrectly quoated.

Perhaps Lesego can look into this.

Elmar

Unread postby Elmar » Tue May 26, 2015 8:10 pm

I don't think the numbers are incorrect. An overnight visitor counts as a single "visitor" regardless of the number of nights he/she overnights in the park. Another way to think about it is number of main gate entries. At least, that is my understanding of reading the articles in the media.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue May 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Foreign visitor numbers to Kruger National Park on the rise in 2014/2015 financial year

Foreign visitor numbers to Kruger National Park on the rise in 2014/2015 financial year

24 May 2015

The number of visitors to one of the country’s most popular holiday destinations continues to increase.

Locals and international visitors, including higher numbers from the SADC region, are visiting the Kruger National Park (KNP) managed and operated by SANParks. The park, home of the legendary Big Five, is attracting more day visitors in particular.

A total number of 1,659,793 guests passed through the gates of the KNP in the 2014/2015 financial year, compared to 1,556,916 the previous financial year, SANParks and the Department of Environmental Affairs said on Sunday.

Of this number 1,277,397 were day visitors and 382,396 were overnight guests. Between the 2012/2013 and 2014/15 financial years, the number of day visitors entering the Kruger National Park grew by an additional 239 817.

Day visitor volumes picked up noticeably in December, with 148,138 day visitors entering the park. The majority of SADC visitors entered from the Punda Maria Gate (10 378) and the majority of ‘other international’ visitors entered the KNP from Phabeni Gate (76,920).

A total of 382, 396 overnight guests spent a night or more inside the national park generating R 321, 482 million in accommodation fees for SANParks.

Of the 25 SANParks operated camping facilities inside the KNP, the majority overnighted at the popular Skukuza camp.

“These figures are pleasing not just for SANParks but for the country in general: evidence that our abundant wildlife continues to attract our citizens and foreign visitors, and in particular, more visitors from the continent“ says SANParks CEO Fundisile Mketeni.

Minister of Environmental Affairs, Edna Molewa, congratulated SANParks. “Since the proclamation of the Kruger nearly a century ago, it has continued to be a local and international draw-card for tourists, and this is largely because of sterling management by SANParks,” says Molewa.

“That increased numbers are visiting one of our country’s major attractions furthermore indicates that government’s National Tourism Sector Strategy is well on track, and working,” adds Molewa.

Visitor numbers for the 2015/2016 financial year look similarly promising. The sub-total of day visitor numbers through April 2015 are 108,284 and 35,093 overnight guests.

For media inquiries contact:

Albi Modise, Chief Director Communications, DEA
Cell: 083 490 2871

Rey Thakhuli, Snr General Manager, Media and Stakeholder Relations, SANParks
Cell: 073 373 4999

Jointly issued by Department of Environmental Affairs and SANParks Corporate Communications
Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue May 26, 2015 8:53 pm

SANParks Annual Reports - you will find more stats etc in those reports.
Sawubona
Dalene

Birgitta

Unread postby Birgitta » Wed May 27, 2015 8:55 am

DinkyBird thank you for the copy of the official announcement and the link to the annual reports. The latter I have not yet looked into.

I am the one to be embarrassed reading the article (link by Elmar) too fast not noting that the overnight guests stayed one or more nights, and so assuming that the numbers of day-visitors and overnights guests could be compared. But as Elmar pointed out they are apple and pears, i.e. visitors and individuals respectively. Many day-visitors do consecutive entries to KNP and from the announcement we do not know how many individuals there were. Hopefully there were also more accommodation nights and increased revenues.

Not being able to visit KNP and other SA parks that often I cannot comment about KNP being overcrowded. Luckily it was not so last May when I had a wonderful 10-day trip.

KNP is fantastic, definitely being a world-class destination, especially for those preferring self-drive. As a foreign visitor I think there have been many substantial changes/improvements in the last 15 years. I wish more of my countrymen would detect this jewel.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed May 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Birgitta, I am sure you are assisting spreading the word about the wonderful Kruger. :gflower: Thank you for your support, and wishing you many trips back!
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “Kruger National Park”