Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Car rental and advice
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:39 pm 

Hi

Jenny and I have been trying to remember just how much the Avansa’s back window leaves showing. :doh:

Wouldn’t stake our lives on it, but its about 3-4 inches 7-10cm, we found that our double been bag** still worked on it well, though not quite as stable as in the front.

** http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/dbbag.htm

The only time it was very tricky, was shooting down into a steep banked riverbed when the car was leaning away from the river.

Post subject: Re: Car choice/best vehicle for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am 

I have been to KNP a number of times and always find a higher vehicle best - I am going back in Jan 2010 (yipee..i'm counting down the days!) and am going to rent the VW caravelle, i find it is nicer being able to see frther back into the bush and the extra space makes it easy to have a cool box on the back seat within easy reach for a nice cool drink...
one word of advise though, make sure you don't get a Mercedes Vito - the rear windows do not open which makes it useless for game viewing, and everyone will be fighting to go in the front seat lol!!
also the nissan x-trail windows only go halfway down in the back, which really irritated the rear passengers on my last trip!
and i agree that the aircon is great just for a blast when the heat gets too much, but otherwise keeps the windows down and your ears open

Hope you have an excellent trip to my favorite place on earth <3 :P

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:29 pm 

We have just spent another 2 Kruger weeks in an Avansa and loved it!
8)

It’s not quite as tall as an X trail and isn’t 4x4, but has lots of space for two. The trick is to remove the front passenger headrest and have the non-driver sitting in the back.

The view is almost as good as in the front, but has easy access to both sides. 8) 8)

Unfortunately virtually all modern cars have rear windows that do not quite go right down and the Avansa’s leave about 5~6cm of glass showing. If you are a photographer, a big double been bag works very well on it, as you need a bit of glass showing for the bag to stay firmly in place! Our been bags were from wildlifewatchingsupplies, a bit pricey but excellent.

There are 3 rows of seats leaving lots of accessible room in the back for bags cool box, cameras etc. without cluttering up the middle seats. If like us, you like to park up at a waterhole or nice shaded river view to make up your sandwiches, half the middle seat folds forward and makes a useful if not perfect table to work on.

There were times when a bit more height would have been nice, but then a low camera angle was often better! :?

Just don’t leave your lights switched on when you stop, as IT IS POSSIBLE to run the bat. flat at a long stakeout!

:cam: :cam: :shock: :big_eyes: :redface: :redface:

Apologies for some repetition from previous post here!!!

Have a Great Trip.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:20 pm 

Last year we had a Hyundai Tucson and the back widows dropped all the way. Could get everywhere with it and performed quite well.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:17 am 

UKbadger, Thanks for all the information, sounds like the Avanza would be comfortable and serve our needs pretty well though I did like the height of the X-Trail.

On our last trip we did bring a beanbag that is very similar to what you have. I filled it with rice and beans and it was so heavy I could barely lift it. This time I am bringing buckwheat hulls.

michel367 - How does the height of the Tucson compare with the X-Trail? :hmz:

Thanks all. Getting really really really excited. :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'll chuck in my 2c worth here as well.

We were'nt sure which vehicle we would end up with this year as it was classified as X-Trail or similar from No.1. We were expecting a 2X4 as well.

We were pleasantly surprised to be greeted with a Kia Sportage 4WD. There was only 2 of us so it was plenty roomy, even carrying 3 weeks worth of supplies and our gear incl a jerrycan (ran out of money last year and nearly could'nt get fuel - but that is another story :) ). The back seat folds down flat so everything packs in neatly. This vehicle was comfortable to drive with loads of leg room. The only problem I had was that the seats were a tad narrow across the shoulders for me because of the shape but this was not a major discomfort - and we spent a lot of hours in the vehicle.

The back windows do not go down all the way, but my BIL who spent a couple of days with us did not have a problem in the back seat - but he is tall at 6ft+. He also did not have leg room problems.

It's high enough to get a good view and easy enough to scramble around in for photo's.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:42 pm 

Hi All,

The official replacement of the Condor is the Fortuner. They are alot higher than your Avenza and slightly higher still than the X-Trail/Tuscon SUV's. They can seat 7 if need be but 5 in total comfort. And there windows go all the way down with probably the widest in their class.

How do I know this? Because I own one!! Mines an automatic with cruise control, best combination when gameviewing!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Utah - the vehicles mentioned by Ilovemeerkats are all regarded as compact SUVs or "softroaders", therefore not really meant for serious off-roading. Although 4x4 is available for most of these - ground clearance and no low-range gearboxes prohibits rocky terrain. This is not a problem for Sanparks roads unless you want to tackle a special 4x4 trail.

Of the 4 mentioned, the X trail is probably the roomiest, and for height, the Tucson. But generally speaking, there is very little difference, and all are very good game viewing vehicles. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi All,

A bit of advice on the following please:

For my trip next March I have narrowed my choice of car down to the following:

Kia Sprtage - Auto (Hertz)
Hyundai Tuscon - Manual (Avis)

Any ideas on which would be the best option to go for?

Thanks
Yoda

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:29 pm 

I would prefer the Tucson.
Had it last year and it was just great.
Backwindows go down all the way. Nice size and real easy to handle. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:30 am 

We always used to go in my dad's kombi (1982 model, later 1990 model)when we were kids. He had a wool-cover (like the ones you used on the front seats) made that fitted in the back of the kombi when the seats were flattened - almost as big as a kingsize bed then. In the early morning before we left for the Park mom and dad would 'load' us still fast asleep. This also happened when in the park and the parents left camp early. Space in the kombi was unbelievable. We placed a cooler box between the two front seats and that was a real treat to sit on it and do game viewing. Best car for the park for sure.
Now I travel in SO's huge four-times-four and also load the kids early morning...Before SO's, my Renault Scenic was spectacular in the Park. Great height, not as high as the BigBoet's, but still higher than a normal sedan and windows to die for!
BTW: parents still visit the park in their kombi, now a 2000+ model
Windows behind sliding door in any vehicle does not open to prevent decapitation.

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Searched the web for ages to find the best deal
Going for a Avanza or Tucson
Decided for the Avanza
A few rental companies do offer complete insurance
Also for damaged glass and tyres
Had a damaged tyre in KTP last year and set my back for many euros.
Tempest has cheap deals
They dont rent SUV btw.
Found a good, one of the cheapest all in deals with a british based car/holiday brooker
eautohuur
Same company then Sarafs
Carhire 3000

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:03 pm 

Very, very happy with the Tucson we were given on our recent trip.

Enough room for both of us plus luggage, high enough to get decent views, lots of storage space for all our books to be kept handy.

As there were an awful lot of them in Kruger at the same time as us, I suspect the hire companies think they're great too.

Would definitely have another one.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:02 pm 

I will agree that a D/C bakkie is about the best for the park for game viewing and comfort as well it makes camping a lot easier being able to bring everything with to the park from home. :D :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:33 am 

Hi,

a LR Freelander SE was our try fro 14 days Kruger in december 2009.

Well done - it was the right decision.
Never again in Chico, Tazz, Hilux & Co.

You´ll get a good view, a wonderful diesel engin with 170 HP,
automatic transmission & manual shift, full automatic AC, Leather interiour,
Alpine Stereo (never used in Kruger...), enough place for 2 adults & 2 kids,
and a really good manufactured car.

Cheers,
freeclimb.

dec 2010: Transfrontier

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next