Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Car choice/best vehicle for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We rented one last year while in CT. It was a brand new one and was a lovely drive.

We've rented through Hertz and they also do the "X-Trail or similar" bit. Looking at their fleet we could end up with a Kia Sportage or Tucson. There are only two of us and most of the "luggage" will be tucker which will only be an issue while travelling to KNP and between camps, but if the back seat is lowered it looks like bags of room.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 am 

Roaneric - where do you see a CRV on Budgets site?
All I can find is Nissan X-trail.

I rented a CRV from Hertz a couple of years ago for the Kruger and found it the best car I have had there.
Hertz no longer carry them as a fleet vehicle apparently.

Last October, despite assurances of a CRV, I was given a Tuscon instead, which, while adequate, is not as nice, and for me, not as convenient for cameras in the front ( storage space, bins etc).

This time around (July) I have an x-trail or similar booked through Budget, hence me asking about CRV's.
If you don't gain that much height in an x-trail then maybe I will swap companies and go back to a Tuscon.

Thanks for any help.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hi iedman

Welcome to the forum.

We want the x-trail, because of its hight and luggage space. But on the budget website they say, 'or similar'

So I mailed them and asked what the 'similar' vehicle would be. And that is when she told me it will be a CRV. You can e-mail them and ask to request the CRV instead of the X-trial. But I have to say, the new X-trails are fantastic. And she told me, that you can switch the car at any of their branches if you don't end up with your requested car.

Enjoy your trip

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:15 am 

Hi All,

The Nissan XTRAIL is better than the suggestions on the table at the moment. Why do I say this:
I drive one and it is very reliable
It has good ground clearence
It has 4x4 capability (if you take from the 2.5l up)
It have 3 12V power supplies in the car (for things like charges, cooler boxes etc)
The back seats can fold flat once you are in the park, creating a perfect playpen for kids
It has ample packing place
It is not that heavy on petrol
Nice aircon
Comfortable to drive

And thats it

Richard Roundtree

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:40 pm 

goafrica wrote:
Habe had a CRV two years running, it was very comfortable, but the back seats were a bit cramped I thought. This year the rental prices are criminal, and we have gone for an Avanza :( :cry: which is costing MORE than the 4x4 we rented two years ago. :evil: I guess there is some inflation and the rand is stronger.

With four of us in the car I am not sure that at the prices being charged I would say it was the best 4x4. We rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the U.S a few years back.........now that would be good.

Has anyone rented an avanza succesfully? Feedback most appreciated.

Well. I guess that it depends where you rent. We have, again, rented a Hyundai Tucson and this year it's actually R3000.00 cheaper than the previous years for 3.5 weeks. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:44 am 

Tigs wrote:
We've been going with a Nissan Murano for the past few years - very comfortable and more than enough space. Just one problem - the rear seat windows don't go down all the way.

I think one of those old rear engine Kombies (Volksie bus) must work well. It is high and you can move between the seats to get the best positions for taking pics.

They really are the best. Never faials you.
Only one downside though. It makes a hell of a noise.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:50 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Rented a C class in 2006. This car was ready for us. And the rental company was so proud. Their first one to go out. With our luggage and photo backpacks we just fitted in the car. Me being 1.94. But we managed.Usually they are bigger but this one also fitted the bill.Expected a Almeira or any other bigger 4 seater :cry:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BEST car in Kruger for me = high clearance SUV, petrol (not too big engine) that is very 'quiet' with BIG windows and a sunroof 8) :dance:

Post subject: Re: Car rental and advice
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:38 pm 

I think the Avanza replaced the Condor, to me the best ever self-drive safari vehicle.

The Avanza is not quite as good but still a very good choice.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:44 am 

It all depends on your budget and the number of people. A high vehicle for eg Mercedes Vito or an SUV eg Nissan Xtrail give you a definite advantage when game viewing.A/C can be useful when it gets very hot

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:36 pm 

Having done the trip many times from overseas I'd always recommend driving from Joburg. (OR Tambo).

Fromt he rental car garage (avis, hertz, europcar,,,,et al) exit and keep in the righ thand lane, headng for R21 S (South) B'Burg (Boksburg). As long as you head south your're OK. Then head for the N12 to Witbank and from there, head towards Nelspurit on the N4 (the N4 splits but it doesn't matter which road you take). Travel time is about 4-5 hours.

I reckon by the time you clear customs, connect to your domestic flight and then hire a car from Kruger Mpubmalanga International Airport you would have already got there if you'd driven from joburg. However, if you want to fly to KMIA all the rental cars are there.

If you do drive from joburg don't go for the cheapest car (usually a golf wth no aircon or radio) - go for the next one up with a radio and aircon. Usually a polo or nissan tiida.

If you want to go large, try for a Nissan X-trail which is very roomy, 2wd (so not TOO expensive) but with a bit more ground clearance and height which is good for game viewing.

I usually direct first-time visitors to Malelane Gate, which is just off the N4, and suggest staying the night at Berg En Dal. However, as others have pointed out, Pretoriuskop is a beautiful camp, about 10km from Numbi Gate.

Feel free to PM me if you like. I'll be arriving at OR Tambo Sep 11!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:00 pm 

saraf wrote:
I think the Avanza replaced the Condor, to me the best ever self-drive safari vehicle.

The Avanza is not quite as good but still a very good choice.

Is the Avanza as high as the Condor ?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:18 am 

It didn't seem it to me but then I'd just switched from a 10 seater minibus that the hire-car company had given me until they got their Avanza back from the garage! Anything would have seemed low after that.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:11 pm 

Hi
saraf 'n goafrica

Yes the Condor was the best Kruger car. It had just about everything you could want, including lodes of easily assessable room, MANUAL windows FULLY opening at the back and very little obstruction round your legs in the front for those tricky contortions with the camera!!

Sadly no longer an option. :cry:

We had an Avansa on our last trip and have ordered one for this Aug.

It’s not quite as good as the back windows don’t quite go down all the way and there is more “clutter” in and around the foot well, but it is a much better drive if you need to go any distance outside the park.

With both Jenny and I taking photos, it works best with one of us in the back and one in the front, if you take out the head rest from the passenger seat the view from the back is almost as good and both can view from either side.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:58 pm 

I agree that the Condor was a great car for photographers.

I am still trying to figure out what car to get for our next trip (November). Just how far do the back seat windows go down in the Avansa?

I have asked this before and I will try again...is it now the law that windows in the back can NOT go down all the way? Should I stop searching??? Are there ANY rental cars available with back windows that go all the way down? I like to ride in the back so I can switch from right to left with my camera. It just doesn't work if I can not lower the window enough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next