Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The only real advantage of a 4x4 would be the height above other cars. The roads you are only alowed to travel on (sand and tar) are very well maintained and offroad is not permitted.

I can only comment on the night drives - book in advance esp in season as they are very popular.

Post subject: Re: 4x4 or regular car?
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:50 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
melkin wrote:
I'm going to Kruger park on the first time and I'm going to rent a car.
1. Is there any advantage of 4x4 car? Can I get off roads or on roads that are not accessible for regular cars?!
It is quite accessible by sedan. There are tar roads and gravel roads. The main advantage of a 4x4 type of vehicle, is height off the ground for visibility. There are 4x4 trails from some camps, but I would not do them until I had a few trips under my belt.
melkin wrote:
2. Night drives, sunrise drives, morning walks - should I book them in advance, or I can wake up in the morning and join?!
This depends if you are going in a busy time or not. Minimum I would do would be to book as soon as you get to the park.

melkin wrote:
I'm gonna stay in Olifants and Lower Sabie camps.
Lucky you!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi melkin

You have probably gathered you don't need a 4x4 but a high vehicle would be nice, although not essential for KNP. If budget is an issue rather rent a sedan (it will suffice), if not go for a 4x4 or SUV type vehicle. The Toyota Avanza is a nice lower end of the scale rental choice, it is higher off the ground than the normal sedan.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:02 pm 

I would say get the 4X4 :) 4X4's often make travelling the park easier with being able to see over other cars and making drives over bumpy roads more comfortable. As far as night drives and day walks etc, book as soon as possible!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:04 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I agree with the height advantage! If it is cheaper, get a 4x2! Same height!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with Imberbe. On our last trip we had a 4X2 Nissan Navara double cab diesel and that was one of the best vehicles I've driven in a park. Plenty of room, high enough of the ground and comfortable and with the double cab it was great to have the camera bag in easy reach behind us.

Post subject: Re: Help,,,need some advice
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A 4x4 is necessary if you plan to do one of the four adventure (self drive trails) - otherwise a sedan , or ideally a minibus type of vehicle (for extra height above other cars to see over them at sightings .)

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:57 pm 

A normal sedan, or SUV, like Volkswagen Touran, Opel Safari, Mazda 5 will do just great.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Can I suggest renting something like a Nissan X trail in 4x2 format. Gives that extra bit of height, but light on fuel.

Post subject: Re: Car choice/best vehicle for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hi everyone

We’re going to Kruger in 2 months time, and with our 2 kids, we have a lot of luggage for 25 days. We booked an X-trail last year and all of our luggage fitted just fine. This year we will have a bit more luggage with us, because it will be winter and winter clothes and blankets take more space.(Don’t look at the mess; it was the end of our 10 day kruger trip last year :redface: )

This year I booked a Nissan x-trail thru http://www.car-rental.co.za They said I can pick up the car from Europcar at the airport. But when I visited europcar's website, I couldn’t find the X-trails in their fleet. So I e-mailed them and asked why this is.

This is her response.

'Thank you very much for your email. The reason why this is not listed
on the Europcar website is mainly because they have similar types in
the same car group and that is why our quote also indicated vehicle
or similar. We have requested the Nissan X Trail but they also have
the Hyundai Tucson 2x4 in the same category and we will not be able
to guarantee the type / model that you will end up with
'

My sister has a Tucson and it really has a lot LESS luggage space than the x-trail. Does anyone have experience with this? A car being delivered other than the one that you have booked? I’m worried about arriving at Johannesburg airport 22:30 at night, getting a Tucson and our luggage not fitting? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:26 pm 

I booked an X-Trail with "A..s" and when I went to pick it up I was offered either a Tucson or a Subaru Forester. It's the same group I was told...Not knowing what to choose I opted for the Forester which was a mistake. I wanted height rather than space and the Subaru is just like a station wagon. I've since been given a Tucson when I ordered an X-Trail, (from the same company) and there's less space. Since we were only 2 people however I thought it was better.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:27 pm 

Hi Roaneric, the company I used was Avis. I did find the Tucson comfy and would take it again over the X-Trail. I found it a better drive also. However I would say that if car rental companies in SA introduce the new model X-Trail which offers more luggage space and more rear seat leg room than the older model and the Tucson I would go Nissan.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:39 am 

Is the Tucson as HIGH as the XTrail? Did it have automatic windows?

Another question - do ALL cars in SA have rear seat windows that do not go all the way down??? The XTrail was like that, and it makes photography really difficult. :cam:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I absolutely loved the Toyota Hilux that we used in Kruger this past Feb. We originally booked an X-Trail or similar, but Europcar in Hoedspruit ran out and upgraded us. :thumbs_up:

I'm not sure if its worth the extra $$$, but we certainly enjoyed the room/ride and would consider renting one outright next time. We had plenty of room in the cab, and Mrs. Stark could have easily filled up the back if I let her.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
We decided to book our x-trail via Budget now. They also have a similar car in the same category and that is a "Honda CRV". I looked it up on internet and it looks like a similar car with almost the same luggage space as the X- trail, so that will work. Does anyone rented a Honda CRV before?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next