Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Will I be able to rent an automatic 4x4 at Skukuza?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:39 am 

iLoveMeerkats! wrote:
I must respectfully disagree. If you are not used to driving a stick, and you are also not used to driving on "the other" side of the street, a manual transmission is, to me, a giant pain. We have been going to Kruger every other year for a decade, and spend almost all of our time on dust roads, and I HATE having to manually shift. Slamming that thing into reverse when an angry elephant wants you going the other direction is a nightmare...to me. Yes, we have done it, but it is not ideal. I agree that you should contact the Skukuza Avis folks directly and try to get an automatic if you can. You will survive a manual, but for these trips of a lifetime, go for what will be the most comfortable.

You have made several good points, and I would agree that driving a manual can be a major hassle. However, I can't imagine anyone driving through Kruger is going to need to shift into more than 3rd gear, and there won't be a continual need to shift up and down and all around as we must in city/suburban traffic.

If the OP is driving only within Kruger then it truly won't be difficult to navigate on the left side of the road.

Granted, driving an automatic would certainly be easier, and more costly, and noisier when in park or neutral (fan going). There are pros and cons. I would never want my mother (75) driving a stick shift, but my husband (67) and I (53) are both fine with it.

Staying within Kruger an automatic is great, and I would definitely do it. Outside of Kruger, in any rural location or on iffy roads, I would think a stick shift would be much better. On my last trip it got me out of some really tight spaces.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 am 

One thing for sure is that we are all different. When all is said and done, the car is not so important as the fact that, whatever we are driving, WE WILL BE IN KRUGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :mrgreen:

Nov 10 - 14 Satara
Nov 15 - 19 Letaba
Nov 20 - 24 Shingwedzi
Nov 25, 26 Mopani
Nov 27 - 30 Olifants
Dec 1 - 5 Lower Sabie
Dec 6 - 9 Biyamiti
Dec 10, 11 Crocodile Bridge
Dec 12, 13 Skukuza

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:03 pm 

Being an ex-South African living in the States, I am 'ambidextrous' with regards to driving on the left or right, Manual vs Auto transmission :dance:
Will be visiting Kruger for the first time in January with my spiffy yankee-doodle-dandy American wife.

I rented a manual Hundai SUV IX something-or-other SUV from Avis. Driving from JHB airport and leaving the car in Skukuza airport for a flight back. Hopefully that car is adequate .. :|

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have just returned from 2 weeks in Spain, where they drive on the "other" side of the road. :)
When we go there, we usually rent a geared car, but this time I decided to pay the extra and go for auto (these are few and far between).
Must say, I was very pleased I had. It let me just drive and concentrate on driving on the "wrong" side of the road, and navigate to unfamiliar places without the added issue of gears (I can drive a geared car, but my car at home is auto, so I am more used to that).

Some Mites are ok with the switch over, and some not. I guess it is a personal thing. :D

Post subject: Re: Car Hire
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A SUV isn't a necessity.
You will have a fantastic trip in an ordinary sedan.
But if your budget allows, a SUV is higher up, and gives a good view.

In the past, I used Europcar which were very good.
But since my last trip I have now switched to Avis, for the only reason that Avis do an automatic SUV which Europcar didn't (at the time).
But I have found both to be good

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:25 am 

Thanks...did you book direct? or use a comparison site

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For Aeropcar, I booked through an agent.

Avis I book direct.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:52 am 

Hi Nick,
If you are a British Airways person you can buy a flight and car together at a marginally cheaper price as Avis is affiliated with BA. I have never worked out what's the price difference is buying directly from Avis. I bought mine when BA has their World Offers sales and it I think BA has sales on currently and ending in 23 September. Have a look on their site if the prices are to your liking. If you do go with them of course you get fly on their new A380 jumbo to JNB!

Post subject: Re: Car choice/best vehicle/Insurance for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:32 pm 

We have booked a 4x4 automatic with unlimited mileage for Feb 2015 trip to KNP. We chose this car because it gives us more height for viewing and three people in the car are keen photographers. Our kids are also young adults, we do long road trips across Australia with our kids and the bigger car is something we enjoy. Also I wanted us to have the space. We are only in KNP for one week and I wanted to spoil us a little bit, as it is the first time for our kids.
My husband and I spent our honeymoon in the park 23 years ago and we had a VW Golf which we drove up from Durban in and that was equally adequate for the park and we saw plenty of animals.

We booked this through a website that is Australian based that has an affiliation with Avis. An Austalian insurance company also under writes the insurance which is the same company as our travel insurance so it made sense to go with them.
At the end of the day hire what you can afford, and enjoy the park.

I booked the car the same time as the camps in KNP, to make sure we got what we wanted. I will let you know how it all works out when we get back :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My wife and I prefer the opposite of many people. Smaller is better.
We are photo enthusiasts and the lower we are the better.
We like to be eyeball to eyeball with the cats.
This doesn't work well in high grass of course, but high grass pics are usually not that good anyway.
We prefer a four door compact sedan with rear seat windows that roll down most of the way.
I drive, she gets the back seat and that way we both have clear viewing and we're not in each others way.

*****2014*****
Pretoriuskop 31 Oct-Nov2,
Skukuza Nov 03-06,
Orpen Nov 07-9,
Letaba Nov 10-13,
Oliphants Nov 14-17,
Satara Nov 18-25,
Lower Sabi Nov 26- 30,
Crocodile Bridge Dec 01-02

Post subject: Re: Car choice/best vehicle/Insurance for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:50 am 

Thanks for the advice....sadly at 6ft 3 and 120kg smaller cars are often not suitable but definitely food for thought

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Samson123 wrote:
ok thanks...

sorry one more question...do you book in advance or last minute?

cheers

Hi, sorry, only saw this now.

I book well in advance (8- 6 months)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8