Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Advice as to size of vehicle
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:27 am 

Definately!

With my visit to the park in 2009 there was two unimogs that camped in the same camp and that was really nice to see. These guys were rigged and I felt very out as to what my vehicle compared (mine is well kitted) against theirs.

Post subject: Re: Advice as to size of vehicle
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 am 

When driving from Letaba to Satara 3 weeks ago, I was overtaken by a Unimog with a German license plate.
That guy drove all the way from Germany and he had a great view of the surroundings and went on all the roads with it. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Car choice/best vehicle for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:23 am 

We hired a SUV (Daihatsu Terios) for our trip. We had a higher clearance which was really great i a few occasions. We were two people and still had a lot of space left. So i think three adults with luggage and food would easily fit into it. I would always recommend a SUV as do have a higher seating position as well and can overlook bushes and long gras you can´t in a sedan car.

Well............if you don´t have to keep an eye on your budget than i would go for a hilux doublecab or something similar. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 am 

In April 2010 we hired a Renault Koleos (SUV). We were with 2 adults and 2 big suitcases. That fit's, but a third suitcase would had to find place on the backseat next to the third person. This isn't very handy with gamedriving to an other camp when bringing all you stuff. In oktober 2010 my parents joined us, so we hired a Toyota Hilux. All four suitcases easily fit's in the canopy and even my 2 meter long dad fits on the backseat.
In juli 2011 we go with 2 of us, so we hired a Hyundai Tucson or similar.

As you can read, we always take a nice comfortable car, a bit higher for the beter game spotting.
In the period we went, a 4x4 isn't needed. But I don't know how it is in the summer. I think that if roads are a bit uncomfortable, they close it...

And my heart is still in South Africa

http://sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=54927

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The road to Biyamiti is absolutely fine for a sedan whichever side you approach on - no problems at all!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:13 pm 

I'm sure the Honda Accord will do just fine. However I will just add as a fellow auto only driver I always go for the Kia Sportage auto 2x4 - probably a bit more expensive but to me worth it's a bit higher and like the extra clearance.
Whatever you go for have a great trip! I just love Biyamiti...it's a great camp! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:31 am 

I agree with you SusieB. The Kia Sportage or Hyundai ix35 will be my 1st choice. I know that the Land Rovers and Hilux's are great, but for value for money, I would suggest the Hyundai or Kia.

Plenty of legroom, good AC, electric windows all round, cruise control, fair ride height.

For those 1st timers in the Kruger, almost every road in the park is good enough for any car. To be honest, you'll probably be able to drive the entire park with anything from a Picanto to a Gti. Tarred roads or dirt roads, rain or sunshine.....

Post subject: Re: Rent car insurance-decline coverage/use credit card cove
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I just learned some information that I wanted to add to this discussion for US travellers. (maybe it should be in General Advice?? There might be a topic hidden away over there that is more appropriate, but I couldn't find it. :))

I recently applied for a VentureOne Rewards Visa from Capital One, as there is no transaction fee for international purchases. While reading the fine print I also noticed I receive the Visa Signature Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver insurance.

This insurance is secondary in the USA, but is primary for international rentals. :dance: I called to verify whether this applied to SA, and it does! :dance: It also covers theft. :dance:

Visa suggests contacting them prior to renting to make sure all terms & conditions are met, but it just might save travelers to SA some money if they can decline the car rental CDW and theft insurance.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:05 am 

I am curious if any of you who chose to decline insurance coverage because you are covered with your credit cards have run into rental companies that just will NOT let you decline. I wanted to book with one car rental agency (drivesouthafrica) and they said that I HAD to take the insurance.

Also, if I go to the South Africa AVIS website, the quote automatically includes insurance. If I go to the US website for AVIS, it allows me to make a booking without checking the insurance boxes but in big red letters it says, "Additional surcharges (some of which are mandatory) may apply to this booking." I am wondering if that could mean the agent at KMIA might say that I MUST take the insurance. ???

:hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

iLoveMeerkats! wrote:
Also, if I go to the South Africa AVIS website, the quote automatically includes insurance. If I go to the US website for AVIS, it allows me to make a booking without checking the insurance boxes but in big red letters it says, "Additional surcharges (some of which are mandatory) may apply to this booking." I am wondering if that could mean the agent at KMIA might say that I MUST take the insurance. ???

:hmz:

Don't worry, ILM, I've been renting with AVIS (using the US website) for some years and there will be no additional insurance charges. You should have no problems. Enjoy your trip!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:58 am 

Thanks Arks,
I can always count of you to help me out!
Cheers!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Only a pleasure, ILM :D

Post subject: Car rental thoughts
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:13 pm 

Hello Fellow Mites,
I'm looking at rental car options. 4 adults + luggage+ medium cooler.
I'm thinking Nissan X trail,Volkswagen Touran,Toyota Fortuner or the Volkswagen Caravelle.
All are tall .All have ample room ,I think.
Big question ,do the back windows go all the way down in all models?
Any other suggestions?
Last time it was the wife and I in I believe a X Trail.Plenty of room,but add twice the gear twice the people plus a cooler for cold beverages.The rear window situation is also a major concern.

Post subject: Re: Car rental thoughts
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:24 am 

Honda CRV :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Car rental thoughts
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have an X Trail and it is perfect for all the options besides the rear window. They only go down half way. But driving wise X Trail is perfect

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next