SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Car Rental - Need Automatic Intermediate SUV
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I'm glad you found something eventr!

Unfortunately the car hire companies in SA are a bit behind the times when it comes to vehicles with automatic transmission.
I recently wanted to hire a car after my car had to go the "shop" after a fender bender, and I could not find a single car with automatic transmission for hire in Pretoria :evil:
not at a reasonable price at least... large luxury cars, yes... but since I was only planning to travel to and from work (I live quite far away and public transport is not an option, this seemed a bit of a needless extravagance), so I ended up taking a week's leave from work (that I could've spent on a KNP trip if I had a car! :evil: ).
I tried all the major companies (who only had luxury cars with automatic transmission, they don't have a "budget-automatic" group at all) as well as several lesser known private entities (who wanted to be more helpful, but whose "budget-automatic" vehicles were all booked out).
And small SUV's (such as a Terios), only comes in manual transmission according to these companies.
I've never been able to understand why the car hire companies in SA believe there is no market for vehicles with automatic transmission, when many people (especially international tourists) prefer automatic transmission.

Post subject: Which hire car for Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:18 pm 

Hi everyone
Going to Kruger for 6 days in August -I've yet to book a hire car from Jo'burg airport and wondered what I should get: We're 2 adults, 2 kids, we'll be in SA for a month so quite a lot of luggage. How important is it to be "higher up" for gamespotting. How sturdy a car do we need for the type of tracks in the park? What should we avoid as far as attracting possible car jackers (on the way from Jo'burg to Hazyview and back) goes? I don't want to spend a fortune on the car but equally don't want to be stuck for a month in something which is too limiting.
Thanks again to all of you who are giving so much help!
Tim

Post subject: Re: Which hire car for Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:27 pm 

A car with a higher ground clearance is far more prefable for viewing, but not essential. In August the bush has thinned out a bit, so viewing should be easier. You do not need a sturdy car/4X4 as the tracks are well maintained. I have never been subject to a hijacking, but as a precautionary measure I would use the main roads on the way to the park and stop off in areas where there are lots of vehicles. I hope you have a fantastic trip.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
This is very subjective Tim.

I can give you pos & cons

Pro high clearance;
Some sightings in the bush/distance will be better.
Probably more luggage space.
Probably more freedom of movement within the vehicle

Pro sedan
Will handle the tar roads & dirt roads
Cost

I wouldn't worrry about car jackers. You will (presumably) get straight onto the highway from the airport. Carjacking happens mostly at night, or during quiet times, and often in dodgy areas.

Would it maybe be possible to;
Store some luggage until after the Kruger visit or
Hire 2 different cars for 2 different phases of the trip?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Stranger Ranger wrote:
A car with a higher ground clearance is far more prefable for viewing, but not essential. In August the bush has thinned out a bit, so viewing should be easier. You do not need a sturdy car/4X4 as the tracks are well maintained. I have never been subject to a hijacking, but as a precautionary measure I would use the main roads on the way to the park and stop off in areas where there are lots of vehicles. I hope you have a fantastic trip.

I think Stranger Ranger gave excellent advice.

Why not hire a SUV-type of vehicle for your visit to Kruger and another one (sedan) for the rest of your stay in South Africa since hiring the sedan is usually less expensive than a SUV.

I hope you have a fantastic trip - and don't forget the TR :) :)

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
KNP March 2014: Tamboti, Olifants, Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 am 

Hi Tim, we'll be in KNP in September for a week and have booked a Nissan X-Trail manual through Budget. Cost is approx US$70/day incl super insurance and unlimited k's which I think is quite reasonable.
We'll pick the car up from Nelspruit airport, and drop off there as well.
We have the same space problem you'll have i.e. 2 adults and 2 teenagers.
Plus I'll need some room for my cooler for 7 nights worth of chops and wors, plus special refreshments, so it'll be tight!
We had an X-Trail when I last visited 7 years ago and the extra height is certainly an advantage.
Happy travels.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A lot of people say they get good mileage off the Avanza, the fuel consumption is good, its high enough to see over the bush and it has space.
As for hijackings well steer clear of dodgy places, stick to the main highways and if you have to stop to ask someone something, go to a petrol station or a shop, don't ask anyone next to the road.
Yes there are great people in south Africa, we are warm loving, caring and are always willing to help but as much as what their are good as in any country their are bad, so beware, rather be safe than sorry.
Another thing to be wary of is potholes, cattle and sheep and goats walking over the roads and taxi's don't always give warning that they are going to stop nor do they like indicate so keep your eyes open when driving to the park other than that have an absolute BALL the Kruger is one place that you can relax and enjoy !
Hope you and your family have the time of your lives :)

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I also had an X-Trail this past December.
There were 2 adults and 2 children and a month's worth of luggage.
And my SO does not pack light! :k

When we went to Kruger, my sister's family came too, and often there were 3/4 adults and 3/4 kids, and it was fine.

Not cheap, but for our purposes, it was well worth it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:08 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Had Nissan Grand Livina a few years ago for 4 adults :thumbs_up:

It has a higher clearance then a ordinary sedan
And more then enough space to travel for a few weeks

And cheaper then a X-trail and with more space

Post subject: Re: Car choice/best vehicle/Insurance for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:18 pm 

This was our solution. We are 4 large people :lol: , with 4 lots of suitcases, hand luggage cool bags and not forgetting the bags of logs for the braai, beer etc etc.
I present the Nissan NP300 Hardbody from Thrifty car hire at Joburg airport.
It is only two wheel drive but gives you so much more confidence fording the streams, and over potholes and rough roads.
The rear windows go ALL the way down so it is easy to take photos and spot from the rear.

P.S. A thousand apologies to the forumette in the little black car who I passed and waved to on the morning of Sat 9th March near Lower Sabie. We were 300m past when my OH said there were ribbons on her car! I wasn't being pig ignorant, just on a different planet! :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I always seem to end up with a polo which is fine, but it would be nice to have something cheapish with slightly higher clearance!

I might look into that Nissan Grand Livina thanks Bert. Our credit card company gives us an Avis discount, but their selection is not great.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
We have rented a Hyundai ix35 for our upcoming trip...last time we had a Renault Koleos which was a perfect car.... 8)

We rented the car at Sunny Cars, the company we used the last time we went to South Africa we had a fantastic experience with this company, cheap, easy and reliable cars. :thumbs_up:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We went with a Kia Sportage this past trip to KNP and really enjoyed it. Comfortable car. :)

As for insurance, I rented the car with my Visa Signature card. If you use this card, it provides primary coverage in SA at no additional cost. :dance: Saved me a bit of money.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:45 am 

Just as Vinkie, we have reserved a Hyundai ix35 this trip. We also had a Renault Koleos last time and LOVED it.

Stark - I spent quite a bit of time with the kind folks at Avis and went through a special Long Term Rentals office (mini-lease). This was through the US Avis office, not the SA one. If you are renting for 30 days or more, the prices are considerably cheaper than going the regular route. Also, they looked up for me the price of no insurance versus full coverage, and because it was a package deal, it was actually cheaper to take the insurance. Go figure. We are getting the Hyundai for 42 days for about $2200 (dollars) which seems great. Unlimited miles, insurance, the whole thing.

I tried to get the Toyota Fortuner which is an AUTOMATIC, but they claimed it was SOLD OUT. Ratz!

This time....Kruger from April 10 - May 21!!!! Be still my heart :D
Biyamiti > Lower Sabie > Skukuza > Satara > Olifants > Letaba > Bateleur > Punda Maria > Mopani > Satara > Skukuza > Lower Sabie > Biyamiti

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Post subject: Rental Car Advise for My Kruger Trip
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:29 pm 

Hello and thank you in advance for your advise.
I have been to Kruger many times and have always rented my (automatic - because I can't drive a stick) vehicle from Avis in Nelspruit at the airport. I am about to book a car for my trip this year and I noticed Europcar is MUCH less expensive than Avis. Have any of you booked with Europcar? And if so, was it a good experience?
Thank you,
Travelstory

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next