Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tent
Decent stretchers
Comfy chairs
Table
Plastic boxes that clip closed to store food etc
a electric cooler

Thats about it to start with, a trailer is good for leaving the fridge and foodstuffs in .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

- Groundsheet (or one of those nice plastic-backed picnic blankets - I got my from an AA shop). Useful for packing/unpacking the car if the ground is wet/sandy, and for creating extra sitting space and play space for the kids
- TIN OPENER (I always forget this, hence the caps)
- Plastic bakkie for putting dirty dishes in, washing, etc. Although you could also use one of the plastic boxes bucky mentions for this.
- Pegs (for pegging washing, pegging open bags of rice/pasta closed etc)
- Sleeping bags. I've always gone for hollowfill. If you get two bags of the same type, then you can zip them together to create a double-bag for you and your SO.
- Pillows - unless you're a really serious camper...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Egg lifters, tongs, mozzie repellant, toilet roll

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:55 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Long extension lead, blue plug, and multiplug to charge all the cam batteries etc. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On our last trip we bought one of those fold-up camping cupboards - they are a win. I hated living out a suitcase for a week or so.
If you have the space a gazebo is also great and very easy to put up.
I always take a fold up table.
Mattress and PUMP. (I have a small foot one and it works great)
When camping you always end up with odd pieces of equipment (torches, medical bag, candles etc) and not having a hut with cupboards to srore them they can become a pain in the Butt. We bought one of those plastic container with the clip on lid (60cm/75cm/55cm) They are wonderful for dumping odd things in and don't mess the place up.
I also have a rather extensive picnic basket with everything in it.
A small brush to sweep tent out is also handy.
Tents don't come with mallets, I can't tell you how many times i've helped people out who were trying to wack the pegs in with rocks or logs.
Will as I think of handy things.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:38 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I can see you are all serious campers. :D

I bought a 2-person inflatable bed, with internal pump. Just stick the plug into an outlet and 70 seconds later the bed is full. Or empty (nearly vacuum) the following morning, easy to stow then. That cost R375.

And I miss the folding chairs, with the very handy net in the arms for your beer, wine, amarula or whatever your poison is. Only Bucky mentioned it? :wink:

Next I miss a stormlamp or the big outdoor candles for the bit of light you need.

A (hand) broom to sweep the tent clean before folding it up, inside and outside.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tools (4x4)
A spade, a jack, 3 spare belts, a cross wheel spanner, a complete toolbox, an air pump, a danger triangle, a tow rope, a wooden support block for the jack, a first aid kit, a tyre pressure-gauge, 2 spare tubes, 3 spare fuses, 2 spare wheels, a 60 liter extra fuel tank or a jerry can, (a 220V extension cable for the fridge / freezer), (a hand brush set).

Camping equipment
tent (don't forget the roof), sleeping bags with foam mattresses and pillows, 12V/220V fridge/freezer, table, chairs, gas bottles, gas cooker, 12V rechargeable lantern, BBQ grill, complete kitchen set, a dust-free storage box, water can, towels.

Kitchen box
Bottle opener, Cups, Peeler, Steel mugs, Tin opener, Small plates, BBQ set: fork/ladle/lifter, Large plates, Kettle, Soup bowls, Large pot, Steak knifes, Medium-size pot, Forks, Small pots, Table spoons, Frying pans (large and small), Tea spoons, Gas cooker, Bread knife, Carving knife, Wooden board, saltshaker and peppershaker

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I also have one of those UV insect lights (buy them at any outdoor warehouse)
They have a recharge battery and are great.
Those shade cloth type ground sheets are also a win.
An axe to chop wood is also great to have.
I have one of those braai utensil kits with tongs, fork etc but what it has that is great is a steel brush to clean the braai grid.
I normally take along a few ratchet straps with and use them as a wash line to hang wet towels, cloths etc.
If you are at a electric camp site it is good to take a lead light with a 60w bulb instead of using your gas light (take extra bulbs)

Post subject: Re: Reflective dome tents
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Meg wrote:
I've just bought a little dome tent, it's reflective silver on the inside of the fly sheet, a darker grey/green on the outside. Will this still be effective for reducing heat within the tent, or should I put it inside out over the tent in hot weather?

Thanks campers! :D

LMAO! I have no idea what you talking about, but I reckon you should still not change clothes with a lantern burning @ night inside the tent. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Hookay :?

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words :lol: :

You see the reflective silver bits on that tent? The entire inner of the fly sheet is like that. The entire outer is like that green on that image. I was wondering if the silver will still reflect heat/sun from inside, or should it be inside out in hot weather to reflect the heat, but the right way round (darker grey/green outwards) in cold weather to warm the tent up?

I hope someone here knows what I'm trying to say - I guess I should have taken a photo before packing it away again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I would reason that Meg is correct - put the shiny side towards the direction you wanr the heat to go to ie. outside to coolthe inside and inside to keep warmth inside in cold weather .

Bye the way a tip for those with canvass tents .
In hot weather fine mist spray the outside with a hosepipe - it is almost like a breath of airconditioned air.
I learnt this last week at Sordwana bay when the man cleaning the ski-boat was told to spray us down sitting under one of these 5x5 meter army tents - it was unbelievably cool after this .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:59 am 

DinkyBird wrote:
Hi Hibiscus,
Do you mean actual camps to stay in or just camp sites within camps you have booked?
If you have not booked camps you really do need to do as Gwen says and book before you go.
With regard to camp sites, one cannot book a particular camp site - it is a first come first serve basis of where you pitch camp.
I always find the camping areas are at the most 'empty' at about 9am, so that is the best time to get there and try and secure oneself a nice camp site.

I meant a camp site within a camp (a place to put the camper van).
But I didn't book any camps so far.
When we were in KNP in November 2006 we didn't book anything and never had any problem finding a camp site.
In fact, everything was quite empty.
I thought beginning of June would be low season as well, as there are no school holidays (as far as I know), but maybe I am wrong...

Post subject: Where to camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:05 am 

Hi there
We going to KNP in August camping.
I have always loved Skukuza and make it a point of staying there when I go to Kruger.
Can anyone else give me some ideas on other camps where we can camp and experience something a little different. We don't really want to go past Olifants - we prefer the Southern regions.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What not try Balule for a change near Olifants. It is relatively central and a small camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I would say Pretoriuskop and Berg en Dal are nice camps for camping,
Berg en Dal has clean ablutions a lot of fence pitches and a nice camp trail.
If you decide to go to Pretoriuskop also has clean ablutions, and the whole big 5 IS there (seen them several times there) and take the camping ground the furthest from the camp gate, is really a nice spot..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next