SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tools (4x4)
A spade, a jack, 3 spare belts, a cross wheel spanner, a complete toolbox, an air pump, a danger triangle, a tow rope, a wooden support block for the jack, a first aid kit, a tyre pressure-gauge, 2 spare tubes, 3 spare fuses, 2 spare wheels, a 60 liter extra fuel tank or a jerry can, (a 220V extension cable for the fridge / freezer), (a hand brush set).

Camping equipment
tent (don't forget the roof), sleeping bags with foam mattresses and pillows, 12V/220V fridge/freezer, table, chairs, gas bottles, gas cooker, 12V rechargeable lantern, BBQ grill, complete kitchen set, a dust-free storage box, water can, towels.

Kitchen box
Bottle opener, Cups, Peeler, Steel mugs, Tin opener, Small plates, BBQ set: fork/ladle/lifter, Large plates, Kettle, Soup bowls, Large pot, Steak knifes, Medium-size pot, Forks, Small pots, Table spoons, Frying pans (large and small), Tea spoons, Gas cooker, Bread knife, Carving knife, Wooden board, saltshaker and peppershaker

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I also have one of those UV insect lights (buy them at any outdoor warehouse)
They have a recharge battery and are great.
Those shade cloth type ground sheets are also a win.
An axe to chop wood is also great to have.
I have one of those braai utensil kits with tongs, fork etc but what it has that is great is a steel brush to clean the braai grid.
I normally take along a few ratchet straps with and use them as a wash line to hang wet towels, cloths etc.
If you are at a electric camp site it is good to take a lead light with a 60w bulb instead of using your gas light (take extra bulbs)

Post subject: Re: Reflective dome tents
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Meg wrote:
I've just bought a little dome tent, it's reflective silver on the inside of the fly sheet, a darker grey/green on the outside. Will this still be effective for reducing heat within the tent, or should I put it inside out over the tent in hot weather?

Thanks campers! :D

LMAO! I have no idea what you talking about, but I reckon you should still not change clothes with a lantern burning @ night inside the tent. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Hookay :?

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words :lol: :

You see the reflective silver bits on that tent? The entire inner of the fly sheet is like that. The entire outer is like that green on that image. I was wondering if the silver will still reflect heat/sun from inside, or should it be inside out in hot weather to reflect the heat, but the right way round (darker grey/green outwards) in cold weather to warm the tent up?

I hope someone here knows what I'm trying to say - I guess I should have taken a photo before packing it away again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I would reason that Meg is correct - put the shiny side towards the direction you wanr the heat to go to ie. outside to coolthe inside and inside to keep warmth inside in cold weather .

Bye the way a tip for those with canvass tents .
In hot weather fine mist spray the outside with a hosepipe - it is almost like a breath of airconditioned air.
I learnt this last week at Sordwana bay when the man cleaning the ski-boat was told to spray us down sitting under one of these 5x5 meter army tents - it was unbelievably cool after this .

Post subject: Where to camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:05 am 

Hi there
We going to KNP in August camping.
I have always loved Skukuza and make it a point of staying there when I go to Kruger.
Can anyone else give me some ideas on other camps where we can camp and experience something a little different. We don't really want to go past Olifants - we prefer the Southern regions.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What not try Balule for a change near Olifants. It is relatively central and a small camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I would say Pretoriuskop and Berg en Dal are nice camps for camping,
Berg en Dal has clean ablutions a lot of fence pitches and a nice camp trail.
If you decide to go to Pretoriuskop also has clean ablutions, and the whole big 5 IS there (seen them several times there) and take the camping ground the furthest from the camp gate, is really a nice spot..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Crocodile bridge , great little camp site , and the viewing is so much different than Skukuza .

Satara has great viewing , but you will experience the "sahara" camp site - few trees and very dusty .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:27 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
The latest Getaway had a little booklet on "the cobb cooker". Has anyone ever tried one?

My in-laws has one and they are full of praise for the Cobb.
Apparently it is also very "fuel" efficient.
They cook a chicken and vegetables with only 6 charcoal briquettes and there is still life left over in those briquettes at the end.
As far as I know you can also get a couple of nifty accessories for it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:11 am 

Quote:
The design of the Cobb originated with safety in mind. An innovation straight out of Africa, the Cobb was initially designed as a cooking system for people in rural areas without access to electricity so they could cook in a safer environment, with less danger of out of control fires. The initial fuel source for the Cobb was dry corn cobs, abundant in rural Africa, hence the grill’s name. The unit has been refined and the result is a small, eco-friendly, portable and incredibly efficient barbecue. Charcoal briquettes, a universal commodity, have replaced the corn cobs.

We especially love the Cobb because it allows us to BBQ on campings where open fires aren't allowed. We tried this recipe, it is lekker! You need to buy the wok (or the frying pan, but the wok is better)

Potato, bacon and egg breakfast

2-3 potatoes
10 rashers of bacon
150g mushrooms
30ml olive oil
4 eggs
twig of fresh rosemary

Cut the potatoes in cubes and parboil for a few minutes. Cut the bacon and slice the mushrooms. Prepare the Cobb and when it's ready fit the wok or frying pan on. Heat the oil and fry the potatoes for about 15 min. Add the bacon and fry until crisp. Add the mushrooms, sprinkle over the rosemary and some salt & pepper. Cook for a few minutes. Then make 4 spaces in the pan. Crack the eggs into the spaces, cover the pan with the lid for 4-5 minutes until the eggs are set.

The Cobbglobal website has lots of info.

Post subject: Re: 1st time campers & 1st visit for fiancee
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JB wrote:
Hello forumites,
It's my 1st time camping in the Kruger, have decided on Skukuza as it might be "easier", also it's my fiancee's first time in the park. Do you have general tips for us?
Were planning making it a longish w/end out of it, starting from the 1'st of July.
Any tips, ideas would be awesome ! Being proactive I would like all the info I can get my hands on before venturing out :dance:

Kudos for showing the SO where it (KNP, SANParks in general) all began.

But live a little, and get to other camps for a more bushveldy type experience.
Skuk is very mod and busy with tourists.

You can get electrified camp sites at most of the camps and depending on how well kitted out you are, will be just as comfortable as the chalet-dwellers.
I'd happily recommend LS, BnD and Croc Bridge as good camping sites in the southern park, in addition to Skukuza.

The basics are...
- Shelter - decent tent that you can put up or break down in minutes.
Canvas for the win, but decent nylon is lighter and takes less space.
A separate gazebo or umbrella in case you get no trees, and it's hot.

- Clothing - you're more exposed, take warm and cool clothes.

- Warmth - you want your bum off the cold earth at night.
So decent mattress.
The blow up jobs are pretty impressive IMO.
Similarly, decent sleeping bags, duvets and blankets.

- Food - goes without saying, plan your meals, buy your groceries accordingly.
A good coolerbox (Coleman if budget permits) to keep your frozen and cold chain goods cold as long as possible.
If you know you're in for three days and your food will all be defrosted by the second afternoon, that evening you braai your last meat and the last day you operate out of tins, boxes and packets.
If you really get into camping, and buy a trailer, a small bar fridge is superb.

- Equipment - you need light (torches, plus gas, stick light that operates off 12V, or a 220V light for in the tent),
you need gas cooking equipment (Cadac plus budget cooker, skottel if funds permit),
you need work and eating surfaces (table),
you need seating (the twin bag of fold up chairs available from Makro for about R180, for the win), a tub to collect up your dirty dishes to take to the wash up (if you get into the camping, you buy the whole stand / tub / drying rack arrangement to do it at your site),
you need storage boxes for your kit and food,
you need kitchen utensils, a braai grid and brush if you're squeamish about braaing on the previous occupant's leftover grease, crockery and cutlery (picnic basket makes a good starter pack), a metal kettle for the gas stove, or take the electric from home, and to top it all off,
a utility type tool (Leatherman or similar) that can do various things if you forgot XXX widget at home

- Park-related stuff - map, binocs, camera, bird book, notepad

- Entertainment - portable radio to catch the test match, cards, books

- Electrics - extension to reach central electricity supplies, blue plug, multiplug
- Beer - forget this at your peril!

The camp shops stock most of the camping gear you might need, if you've left something at home, but the prices will make Mastercard weep.

Added: here be my humble refrigerator...

Fits in the Venter, and I take a duck board along, so that the door is raised a bit and doesn't foul the tent's built-in groundsheet.
Set to 3 it will keep anything in the ice box and immediately below, frozen.
Set to 5, it's basically a freezer.
it's really done mileage.
But it really is a winner.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi JB,

Just want to add the following..

If I may advice you, when going there in june/july/august, SERIOUSLY take the cold nights in consideration when camping, take WINTER sleepingbags with, and the most important to take with you are extra cloths or groundsheets to put underneath your mattress, eventhough you have those on stands, as we learned it the hard way......

Furthermore, Skukuza is a nice camp and a perfect gaming area, but the camp and camping can get very crowded in July, and I personally had some bad experiences with the (dirty)abolution blocks of Skukuza, so I would advice you consider other camps aswell, such as Croc bridge, Lower Sabie and Berg-en-Dal or Pretoriuskop. (For Pkop take the camping furthers from the gate)

Furthermore you will need a REALLY BIG HAMMER and extra strong pegs, as the soil is like concrete in July.. :wink:

Hope you will consider my opinion and enjoy it, I'll follow your tracks in KNP a week later! :D

Post subject: Monkeys and camping
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:38 pm 

Hello Forumites,

I'll be camping for the first time at Kruger (LS Sept).
In Jan this year we had baboons in the cottage at Talamati, they opened the screen door entered the kitchen and ransacked the cupboards while we were napping.

What sort of precautions should we be taking to protect our food from monkeys while camping? I don't fancy packing everything up and taking it in the car while we are out. Will they rip open a closed and locked tent if they can smell food in it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
We keep all our food in a big camping box and put it into the Hilux when we go out, just to be safe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next