Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: Camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Then I would start with Letaba over new years, has always been quiet when I have been there and hope it will be again this year when I am there. You will then also miss the public holidays in south with their traffic.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:30 pm 

Returning from an interesting and eventful :big_eyes: sailing trip from Cape Town to Inhaca Mozambique, I wanted to enjoy a more relaxing holiday with my family.
Taking advantage of the mutual renewed appreciation of family :k , I suggested a camping trip which was immediately accepted by all :wink: . Pushing it even further I suggested camping in Kruger which was also accepted without any resistance. :dance:
Short notice, but after offering SO and daughter the opportunity to change their minds for a day or two - which they gladly did not – reservation was made and paid. :thumbs_up:
Not much time to plan and prepare, but what is there to plan and prepare? Just go and enjoy!
Not so easy for SO :naughty: - Caravan needs to be checked and serviced; packing list; groceries list; and ??? lists! :think:
Five days and four nights caravaning @ Skukuza, can`t wait! Apart from the safari tents @ Tamboti and Skukuza, this will be our first camping trip to Kruger after talking and considering it for years. Hope and pray :pray: that all goes well and that it will not be the first and last caravan trip to Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am sure you will all enjoy caravanning in Kruger. And you will be hooked on it as well. Apart from being cheaper to caravan than to stay in safari tents/bungalows the people you meet in the camp grounds are all fantastic. Just enjoy - I predict you will be back for more and for longer stays - I mean if you are towing all the way from Pretoria to Kruger you may as well stay longer. Enjoy :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:15 pm 

Delene D wrote:
Just enjoy

Thank you Delene. I am sure we will enjoy it - everybody is very excited.
Delene D wrote:
I predict you will be back for more and for longer stays

Hopefully, but not convinced. I think I chose the wrong time of the year to convince the family to go caravaning in Kruger. Hopefully the weather-gods will have mercy with some cooler days. Luckily the rest of the family can handle the heat better than me, and then there are cool swimming pools and the museum to go sit and read etc.

Does anybody know if they still show evening films at the amphitheater?Last time i saw one was about 30 years ago! I know times have changed but for me that was part of the excitement and entertainment in the evenings.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

123 wrote:
Does anybody know if they still show evening films at the amphitheater?Last time i saw one was about 30 years ago! I know times have changed but for me that was part of the excitement and entertainment in the evenings.

The amphitheatre seating area now has a road running through it so im not sure about that one :twisted:

Just some advise on where to camp. If you have a choice on the upper or lower level, rather camp on the upper level. The ablutions on the lower level (near the pool area) are disgusting.
Also the lower level tends to flood out if it rains heavily.

Enjoy :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 pm 

GlenD

Thank you for the advice, we will definitely keep that in mind when deciding on a campsite.
Pity about the amphitheater, but like i said, times are changing and we must accept and adapt.

Will enjoy thank you!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 pm 

Hallo again :hello:

Busy planning for the trip and i have a question or two to ask please.
From what i could see on the forums, all camping sites have fixed braai stands. Is this correct, or do sites share braai stands?
What is the condition of the braai grid? Should i take my own portable braai ( i would prefer not to if not really necessary ), or maybe only a braai grid?

Thank you :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Some camping sites have fixed braais others have mobile tripod braais. The grids are variable! I would take a grid with you.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Where will you be 123?

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:35 pm 

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Where will you be 123?
Sorry, we will be camping at Skukuza 20 to 24 October 2014

ecojunkie wrote:
Some camping sites have fixed braais others have mobile tripod braais. The grids are variable! I would take a grid with you.
I would prefer a portable braai- it will allow for more freedom when setting up camp. I will definitely add a grid on the ever growing list :think:

Thank you

Post subject: Camping In summer
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:35 am 

My lady and I are planning a cross country trip from the eastern cape to the KNP after our exams at the end of november, this will be my 15th trip and it has been a long time since i last made use of the camp sites. We are taking her parents Land cruiser motor home and we are planning on staying at various camps starting in the south and finding our way north from there.

A few things that concern me and that i would like to know are listed below and i would appreciate any feedback:

===>Which camps have lots of trees other than lataba, and would be best suited for camping in summer?

===>It will take us 3 days to complete to +-1500km journey to and from KNP, where can we stay over night, which towns have safe camping facilities?

===>What advice should be taken when doing kruger in a motor home?

===>What should i take not of when driving up to kruger in such a big vehicle?

===>As we are both students, when do specials for accommodation get listed?

===> In the south are there any roads that are not motor home friendly, the motor home involved does have 4wd however it is very high?

===> General manners when at a sighting with such a big vehicle that i should take into consideration?

===> Top 10 water holes to visit in the park

Lastly
===> How do i stop myself from spinning out with excitement before and during my exams? :dance:

Any feed back would be appreciate and if someone has more to add i would really appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: Camping In summer
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:36 pm 

Hi Stickman360
I will answer a few of your questions and give some useful links to start you off but otherwise suggest you have a nice browse around the forum, its a mine of info which I am sure will help you and give you loads of info and advice. :thumbs_up:

To start with Index to KNP Topics

Motor Homes

Campsites in Kruger

Waterholes and Dams in Kruger

Have a look through the Camps and Road Forum and also the Activities and Sightings.

That is a good way to help pass the the time till your departure and get the excitement really going! :dance:

Good luck, sure you are going to have a fantastic trip.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:52 pm 

Thanks Elsa, Just had a quick browse though the forums will have a good detailed read and makes some notes later tonight. cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28