Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Satara camp-sites
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:37 am 

Gemma T wrote:
The other thing you should try to get hold of for Satara are some very heavy duty tent pegs! Very hard ground! I've even seen some people using cordless electric drills to drill the holes for their tents pegs!!!

Agreed!!!!!
We decided to try be better prepared the last time we went: got hold of thick steel pegs... And we still lost many of them to the hard ground :big_eyes:

Post subject: Re: Camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:32 pm 

Johan N wrote:
I use stainless steel pegs and they don't bend. :wink:

Might be a better bet then for next time

Post subject: Re: 14 Days in Nov. First Time Camping - Advice Please!!!!
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A very warm welcome to you Pasuther :D I do hope that you get all the information that you need.

I am going to briefly comment on the camps that you have chosen. I like them all.

Punda is a small camp and the fence stands are the best in terms of scenery, but not always the best if it rains. The first rains might well have started and I know from experience what it feels like to wake up in a drenched tent :roll: . Do be careful that your tent is well stituated for that eventuality.

I have never camped at Shingwetzi, but I have heard only good reviews.

I love Letaba camp. Its atmosphere is something to be experienced. Last time I was there, I noticed that Wild Dreamer had chosen a camp site to make me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . It was at the fence facing an old gate and road. This meant that she had unobstucted views of any animals using this area. If you can find the site, "go for it".

Satara is your busiest camp and there are many sites along the fence. I did not see all that much available shade, but you might be luckier.

Croc Bridge has become one of my favourite camps. You should have no problem finding a good space. It is small enough to be close to the fence, ablutions and kitchen without too much effort. I prefer it to Berg n Dal, mainly because it is close to some of the best game roads in the Park.

You should be able to find a "blue adaptor" in the Punda shop. I have seen them in camping shops, but I bought mine in Kruger.

Louis Trichard does have great shops for all your needs. If you need to stock up while you are in other camps, I highly recommend Phalaborwa. It has a variety of well stocked shops. I also like the Spar at Komatiepoort, which should be ideal for stocking up while at Croc Bridge.

Its a superb time of the year for Kruger babies. I am sure that you will have great opportunities there.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:47 pm 

Hi Pasuther

First of all, welcome! Two things that springs immediately to mind. A long, long electrical lead/extension cable, 25 meters or more, preferably more... Secondly, you're going to a very warm part of Kruger in a very warm time of the year, so you better make sure you have a proper, good quality, portable fridge that will keep your stuff below 0º Celsius throughout the day. And make sure that what you take is vacuum packed. Expect temperatures of 40º C and upward when in Punda and Shingwedzi region....

Hope you’ll get all the shooting you can handle and more...!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:20 pm 

Also look at this thread. It's advice on different camps concerning camping in Kruger, done by a very knowledgeable mite called Ecojunkie: www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=28185

I used it as reference when I started camping. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pasuther, here is a few photos of the blue plug adapter. I bought one today for R99 and have even put my name on it! :twisted:

Photo of the whole thing with cover(front):

Photo of back:

Photo without cover...you can use it this way as well. The cover is for waterproofing:

Enjoy your trip! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Pasuther

I can not advice on all your camps, as most of the ones your camping in, I have yet to do so.

Satara, though, I have camped at only and never used the bungalows. The camping area is awesome in my opinion, although shade does lack. It does get hot, but there is a very nice pool. The area for game viewing is amazing and I will spent as much time there as possible. Especially the predators and raptors. This is my fav camp so I am bit biased

The Berg and dal area is very special to me, but at croc bridge your sightings will be better in most likelihood. There are more routes within range as well.

Protocol for rain. Good groundsheet, double check yours. I've been washed out before and its not fun, promise. You will have time to spent on your pics, otherwise take along some books or other entertainment. I personally don't mind going for a drive in the rain, as the roads are usually quieter although sightings are less. Then there is also the problem of photography and rain, the light and all, but sounds like you are extremely clued up and am sure you know how to take some awesome photos in the rain. Try taking stretchers as they can keep items high and dry should a leak occur, and you can sleep dry. Make sure youre tent is always zipped up and all food items is safely inside.

Good luck in finding the Pel's while in Punda, that one still eludes me.

Have fun! :thumbs_up:

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Post subject: At what time may I pitch my tent?
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:24 pm 

Hi All

Ive been lucky enough to bag 2 days camping over the long week end ( Sunday and Monday) and I was wondering at what time may I claim a stand and pitch my tent? Of course I know about the new check in and check out times, but do they apply to campers and camping sites too? Do they apply for a Sunday? Ive noticed many a camper "book" their spot WAYYYYYYYY before 2pm.

Or should all the campers wait outside the camping area behind the stop signs white line and wait for the stroke of two bells to rush out and claim our "spots"? :hmz:

Some light on this would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: At what time may I pitch my tent?
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

African Lynx, we "booked in" at Skukuza last week at approximately 11:30 - 12:00 and I was told that they don't have issues with campers booking in early. However they did confirm that visitors staying in bungalows are only allowed to book in at 14:00.

The same at Berg en Dal last month...we booked in at 12:00 with no issues!!

Camping rocks!! :dance: :lol:

Enjoy your trip! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm 

We are in the park at the mo, and are camping and have booked in to each camp between 9.30 - 11am and gone and selected our site right away and pitched camp. It really seems that as far as camping goes there are no rules as to what time you can go and select a site and pitch camp. I am sure the rule of leaving the camping area by 10am will apply tho.

If I can give you a tip, rather try and arrive close to after 9am if you would like a nice site. It seems most campers pack up and leave fairly early.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:56 pm 

ecojunkie wrote:
One rule is that you must check in before setting up camp - the rule is clear on the permit. There are some camps eg here at Malelane, where it is difficult to turn a caravan/trailer at the gate/reception area and then you may leave your trailer/caravan on a site and go and check in. But you must still actually check in before you start to set up camp. Otherwise, yes, time is difficult to enforce.

This is really important in Punda Maria, there is no place to turn a caravan or trailer near reception and it just causes chaos. But is highly amusing to the bystanders. :D

Post subject: Re: Camping Necessities
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:44 am 

Hi Kirsty

Good choice of camps. You can do all your grocery shopping in Komatipoort - there is a nice Spar there. If you are camping then will need some of the following:
tent
tentpegs + hammer
groundsheet to protect the tent
mattress, pillows & duvet / sleeping bag
table to prepare food
fold up closet to store clothes in / food in
insect deterrent
clothes
sunblock
hats
birdbook
cellphone charger
adaptor
deck chairs
blue plug
extension cord
torch
matches
lighting
cooler box
freezer
icepacks
charcoal & firelighters
braai tongs
food
plates & cups
flask
picnic bag

At the camps there are hotplates and boiling water so you don't need a kettle. Note the above list is not a complete list but also you don't need to take along all of the above! Half the stuff you don't really need although if you have the space then sure, why not! Also don't forget cameras / binos!

Have a great trip!

Post subject: Re: Deepfreeze facilities for campers
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi LyndaK. Welcome to the forum.
Sorry none of the three camps have deep freezers or fridges.
I was caught short last year as when I enquired from Sanparks they said they had freezers in the kitchens, only to find there were none.
The shop keeper at Shingwedzi kindly allowed me to store my stack of meat in his coldroom, for which I was truly grateful, as we had brought a lot of meat to last a week or two seeing that our children and grandchildren were camping with us.

Post subject: Re: Deepfreeze facilities for campers
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ProtZkroG wrote:
ah sorry, forgot to specify - campsites in KNP with fridges

Only those camps offering camping exclusively as well as being without a shop within the camp perimeter fence , thus Marula, Tsendze and Balule (which has very basic huts as well as camping) have communal refrigeration facilities .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: Camping Necessities
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:44 pm 

We've just finished 14 days camping in Kruger! Ok we do it a little less sparcely than you're planning, but the best necessitiies we came up with are the following:

Tent, poles, hard ground pegs and ground sheet
Metal hammer - the ground in Kruger is really really hard
Bedding of some sort
Chairs - our neighbours just had little three legged stools, we have big racing chairs, but you need something.
Flask - this comes in handy for a lot of things
Cooler box - we just bought 2 bags of ice every day to fill it up - keep a fair amount of water in the cooler box to keep everything cool
Ziplock bags - keeps the packaging away from the water in the cooler box
Can opener, bottle opener and wine bottle opener (very very important)
Salt and pepper - it's expensive in the park
Canned goods are quite a bit more expensive than outside
We loved our Just Juice cans, but packing lots of juice help with the heat!
Buy meat, brickets, wood and coal in the park (it's not too expensive than outside)

Our best luxuries were the gazebo, for shade outside of the tent. And our big plastic bucket that we used for a lot: dirty dishes, washing veg, soaking feet in ice water in the heat.

We've seen it done well on a budget, and we had a ball with all our extra bits and bobs.

Bianca

2013: Dates TBC - Three weeks from Durban to Addo, Mountain Zebra, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mokala & Golden Gate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 35  Next