Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:45 pm 

I also prefer air mattress.

I find that with a strecher the cold come from under the bed and you do not sleep as well as on a mattress.

The best will be a strecher with a mattress. There is one on the market but far to expensive for me.

With the air mattress you must just look how you pack it and the there is nothing on the ground to puncture it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

When at Punda there is a section on the far western side that almost looks like it is a private area or something, but it is part of the camp site.
It is very quiet.
You are a fair distance from the hide and the pool but have good privacy and you are on the fence.
Shingwedzi along the fence is great, the pool area is a bit loud so try further down the fence.
PS. I bowl, have a blow up mattress and only pump it up once every 4 days. :D

Post subject: What I learnt on my first camping trip to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:17 am 

1. The ground is hard! Next time take sturdy (like super sturdy superman type) spikes and a really big hammer (take extra spikes to replace the ones that bend.)

2. An inflatable mattress or similar and a puncture repair kit are essential, alternatively lots of Amarula to help you sleep on the hard hard ground. (luckily I had the mattress and the Amarula)

3. Go to bed early, catch the animals in the early morning and sleep in the afternoon heat.

4. Tents are great, but a caravan would be extra nice if you wanted to move from place to place.

5. The shops at Kruger have just about anything you need a tad pricey on the groceries but that what you pay for convenience.

6. If you miss the city - pop in at Skukuza for the Deli and Internet Cafe, very suave.

7. A blue plug adaptor is probably worth the expense because it means you can plug your regular extension cord into one of those blue caravan things.

8. Ice by the packet is really cheap R4.20 or so buy about three or four packs a day for the cooler box. (keep one bag sealed for the Amarula ;).

9. The monkeys are seriously cheeky, they tried to steal stuff from my car even while I was in it and even though there was nothing for them to steal.

10. Take the car with the highest windows for the best view, it was a pleasure being able to look over other cars from my slightly bigger one.

11. Amarula with ice is a brilliant way to end the day at Kruger.

12. Binoculars are also brilliant.

13. A digital camera with lots of zoom in order to prove that you really did see a leopard.

14. Drive slowly and keep your eyes wide open, those animals sure can hide themselves, even an elephant can hide under a leaf.

15. A mammal and a bird book are also must haves.

16. Don't forget to put sunscreen on your arms when driving!

17. When we went at the beginning of September there were hardly any mosquitoes and the game viewing was brilliant. (Saw 4 leopards, and the big five twice in two days.)

18. Most importantly take sturdy spikes and I mean it à a big hammer (sledge hammer type) someone obviously thought it would be really funny to put cement under all the camping spots.

19. Next time I go I will do less driving around and more sitting in one place even Impala are interesting animals. (the official lunch meat of the Kruger Park) and there are loads of amazing birds and bugs and things to see too.

20. Driving the N4 on a Friday night is like racing formula one but the other cars are towing (BIG) trailers, avoid at all costs.

(I will return again as soon as I possibly can - it was wonderful!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We have been camping in Kruger for the past 33 years and leave our tent at the camp site and come back late at night.
You can leave your tent at your chosen camp site and go out the whole day. Just zip up your tent and leave.
We have never lost or had a "robbery" at our tent :wink:
Just leave your food stuff in a trailer or if you do not have a trailer in your boot, because the monkeys and baboons are a problem at certain camps :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Camped next to a family of 4 with a trailer like that.
Has a rooftop tent, a tent next to that reaching to the ground where the teenagers slept and a kitchen on the other side of the trailer. 8)
Would love to have one of those.

Saw in a magazine quite recently you get a 2 man caravan nowadays.
Apparently very popular in Europe.
Inside has only one double bed, rest is outside like the trailer.
You tow it with even the smallest of cars.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:15 pm 

If you wish to camp on the fence at Punda and will need electricity - take a long lead of at least 50m!!!!

Post subject: Re: tent or hut in december in Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:50 pm 

Loams wrote:
We are only two people and I am buying a 6 man tent so we don't have to fall over our bags everytime we get up, we can sit inside (not on the bed) when it rains etc etc.... I think you should get my drift.

One can buy really inexpensive tents at a shop called Game that will be really comfortable. With a little covered area attached that you could sit under if it rained. They are lightweight and easy to erect and pack up small.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Re: tent or hut in december in Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

clautje7 wrote:
Is it a big problem to stay in a little 2 persons-tent in Kruger in December 10 till 22?

Camping in a small tent is fine. Just take a table and chairs.

clautje7 wrote:
Will it rain much at those days normally?
Will we be washed away?
Shall I book a hut instead? (much more expensive)

Don't book a hut. Showers seldom last more than an hour. Things tend to dry out pretty quickly after a shower.

clautje7 wrote:
Is there everywhere cement on campsites for tents?

I have only seen cement strips at Letaba and you aren't going there.

clautje7 wrote:
We are planning to stay in Berg en Dal, Pretoriuskop and Skukuza (because of the swimmingpools there).

Many other camps have pools

clautje7 wrote:
If it rains...can we then sit somewhere inside?

Skukuza has a museum you can go to. Most have a bar that you can use. Either Berg-en-Dal or Skukuza, or both, has a movie house (wildlife movies). There are shops and restaurants to hide out in.

clautje7 wrote:
Can we park our car next to our tent ?

Yes

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:56 pm 

Hi and welcome naomi c!

Have you read through this thread - Punda?

I loved the camping in Punda last month. Granted the sites are not all perfectly level, there are few taps and if you wish to camp close to the fence you must take a long elec lead (50m+). There are shady sites there, no grass. Camp far away from the pool if you are looking for peace and quiet :D
Watch out for the low eves of the ablution block!

There was a constant trickle of game to the waterhole opposite the fence when we were there.

I will go back to Punda many times!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:43 pm 

Snoobab wrote:
Any advice on Camping at L/Sabie. I will be there in Sept for 7 nights. I know the new camp site does not over look the river but does it have fence line site and if so which are the best sites.

No Snoobab LS does not have fence line sites.

I love camping there. The sites are demarkated and some are fairly private with some bush between them. There are a fair amount that are shady. They are all level.

Some pics for you:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Snoobab wrote:
Last question. Based on experience of camping at Punda where you need a 1km long extension cord. How far away are the plug points at LS.

Just take your Punda cord with. :lol:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:05 pm 

Hi Snoobab
The plug points at Lower Sabie are right next to the camp sites. Depending on how you position your caravan, tent, or mobile home etc, you will be no more than about 5-8 meters away from your power point.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:44 pm 

When camping in Satara over December, you cannot be without a fan....there is little shade and it is extremely hot in a tent, especially when trying to take an afternoon nap!

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Post subject: Re: Pretoriuskop camp sites
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:01 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We have been saying for years now that we want to get the camping spot under the biggest tree in Pretoriuskop :!:
But it is always occupied, we come to late :( :D
The spot is on the extreme left hand side in the corner of the camping area at the fence, opposite to the reservoir.
But we found all the sites nice and most had some shade :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am also a caravanner, and there is definitely a couple more around.

There are 3 camping areas in P/kop.
One in the bottom corner of the camp (where the sites on the fence are usually occupied).
The other 2 is between the gate and guest houses also on the fence.
The small one as on the map has no power and is more suitable for tents.

The bottom one is close to ablutions shared with the huts.
The other also has ablutions relatively close by.
The sites are reasonably level at the top area, and most are sand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next