Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camping in Kruger - Sleeping Bag recommendations
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The end of March is still quite hot (if its not overcast and raining that is) so dont go too overboard.
We use a duvet and i generally just lay on top of it most if not all of the time. Sometimes I cover myself in the early morning hours but not very often. The only time i really got cold was in July at Satara but then all i had was a duvet to cover myself with (sleeping in shorts and a t-shirt)

Post subject: Re: Camping in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:07 pm 

wheckroodt wrote:
Camping at Satara. Arrived today. Pitched my tent and went for a drive. When we got back a bakkie had parked right by out tent. Asked elderly gent opposite us if it was his bakkie and asked if he would please move it. His response was no as according to him he has been parking there for two months. To futher his case he indicated that our tent was not pitched outside the demarcated area. First time I became aware that Satara camping area had demarcated sites. Sort of marked by paving bricks in a row in the ground. Quick view around camp and most people are not aware of this. Wonder if he is paying for 2 stands as he parks on a different stand from the one he camps?

I feel your pain, last year we arrived at a almost empty Berg en Dal jippy we got a spot next to the fence, the first time in 7 years, by night 3 the pkace was packed and we got parked in if I put my hand out of the caravan window I could touch the next caravan. Thensomeone ssqueezed right in next to us we are parked in a corner with not much space, then they light a fire, our caravan looked like it was burning with all the smoke, husband has health issues and we can't move it was a nightmare. Never again will we park by the fence. The rest of the camp was still empty.

Post subject: Renting Camping Equipement
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:23 pm 

Helloo! I am new to the forum :)

I am planning a South Africa trip next June 2015 with my partner, I've been debating if to camp or rent out the tent camps/bungalows offered by San Parks. Since a lot of people have posted saying that the tents ( in lower sabie specifically are not up to part with spider webs, holes etc) + a lot of the huts/tents with exception to lower sabre do not have utensils or cookware included so I have to bring that myself anyways. I thought it best just to bring our own tent as well.

I'm from Montreal, Canada so ideally I would like to rent camping equipment rather then hauling it over across the world. I've found two companies that do this,

http://www.driveandcamp.com/index_e.html - rents out a whole set at only 120Rand/day but they told me I can only rent it out starting in cape town, the other one is Tony Car but their prices are a little ridiculous with a cutlery set being at 250R/day alone.

Anyone know of where I can rent camping gear for Kruger Park ( close to Johannesburg or on the way to), can you rent camping stuff directly from the camp you stay at? and is it in good condition?

Post subject: Re: Renting Camping Equipement
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:30 am 

Hi Julia.
Welcome to the forum.
You will find that most camps have fully equiped huts/bungalows/tents as well as unequiped ones,just look at the descriptions on the web site.
My advice would be to book the equiped ones ,which are really very nice,and forget about the camping,as this is your first visit.
Although some of the accomodation can seem a bit "tired" I have never found it to be a problem,and most is very good.
One tip is to bring a couple of cooler bags in your luggage or buy a cool box when you arrive.
Kruger is great for camping but it is usually local South Africans ,who bring everything with them.
Enjoy,and remember June is busy with school holidays,so book early.I think the booking opens soon.(see elsewhere in the forum for dates)
Afriphile.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello Julia

Very BIG welcome to the forum. I can imagine your dilemma and have often pondered the obstacle "non-local" visitors must experience when visiting our wonderful country and the equipment they require to brin with them but are limited to bring as a result of the weight limit on luggage. :wall: :wall:

I live in Edenvale (10 minute drive from OR Tambo airport) and I know that I would probably have everything you would need for a visit to KNP - whether you decide to camp or stay in huts/rondawels/bungalow. I would be more than willing to help you out with loaning you the things you need for the duration of your stay. I would just need to know what sort of things you are needing and I can confirm whether or not I have the appropriate equipment to help you out. We have tents, Gazebo, groundsheet, blow up mattresses, stretchers (single duvet and covers) and folding chairs and tables, cooking utensils, cutlery etc, water bottles, gas cylinders and skottel braai gear. The list is endless. I am more than happy to help out. Just shout!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:44 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Oh my word Lesley, that is incredibly generous of you................what a star!!! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Crested Val wrote:
Oh my word Lesley, that is incredibly generous of you................what a star!!! :clap: :clap:

agreed. :thumbs_up:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:58 pm 

Oh my goodness feeling so loved already on this forum haha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lesley, there are no words for your offer, I am so so grateful for the offer! :k

We were thinking of coming in june, between 5th and the 10th, and heading to Kruger right after the weekend 15/16/17/18 perhaps by the time we get used to the time change, and drive up to Nelspruit and then Grascop to explore Blyde River Canyon and Pilgrim’s Rest. I have to see with the airfare how its going to work out exactly still. So I will PM you definitely once I know the exact days, thank so so SOOO much! I have no words for your generosity

I have been researching camps as well and these seem to be the top people have recommended,

Berg-En-Dal, Biamiti, Lower Sabie , Olifants, Letaba, Mopani

What would be a good route? I was going to enter by the Phabeni Gate as we will be close to Hazyview, or should I enter my crocodile bridge and make my way up. I was thinking of 4 days or so in Kruger Park maybe a mix of 2 days inside the park and two days just doing half days and exiting the park to refuel/restock on food. If we will be camping and brining in a cooler I will need to put a fresh supply of ice in it,
What does everyone think about time spent for first time in Kruger/routes/camps? ( I realize not all these camps have camping grounds available). I was trying to avoid the most crowded camps

these are distances I have

Paul Kruger Gate
· 108km from Nelspruit on R40
· 87km from White River on R40
· 41km from Hazyview on R536
Phabeni Gate
· 67km from Nelspruit on R40
· 46km from White River on R40
· 10km from Hazyview on R536
Numbi Gate
· 31km from White River on R40
· 52km from Nelspruit on R40
Malelane Gate
· 64km from Nelspruit on N4
Crocodile Bridge
· 125km from Nelspruit on N4 / R571

thanks again for everyone's advice on this

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Julia, Biyamiti, Olifants and Mopani do not have camping sites.

The closest camping areas are:
Biyamiti-Croc Bridge
Olifants-Balule
Mopani-Tzendze

If you want rustic, I would include Maroela. It is in the central Park and really a lovely little camp.

Croc Bridge is one of my favorite camps for intimacy and sightings.

Balule is great, but it is difficult to get bookings. Tzendze is way north and it would be impossible to travel that distance if you plan on entering via Phabeni. Letaba would also be a bit far if you plan on staying in the southern/central area.

My choice, given the shortness of time, would be Croc Bridge or Maroela. Lower Sabie is the best option of the bigger camps because of its diversity of roads and sightings.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As an alternative, you could enter at Orpen (108 km from Hazyview) which gives you access to Maroela (close to the Orpen Gate) or Satara (about 50 km from the gate, and you can camp there as well). You could also travel south from that area (even Crocodile Bridge is only 127 km from Satara, easily doable in a day) or north (Letaba is only 69 km from Satara, and Balule only about 40-odd km).

The options are plentiful... :D

Post subject: Re: CAMPERS - show us your camp setup
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:37 pm 

We (my wife & I ) are thinking about doing this whole "camping " thing next year September in Kruger. We normally stay in chalets but have heard about the "perks" of camping so have decided to give it a bash before we rush out & buy all the goodies. Any advice as to which camps & why would be appreciated. It seems that Maroela is very popular with campers as well as Croc Bridge camp ??? Lower Sabie doesn't seem too popular. We have stayed in the tents at LS & thoroughly enjoyed the noises at night. Also any camping tips that would make life more comfortable would also be appreciated as its a long drive from East London only to get there & not be prepared. (although any time in Kruger is enjoyable )

Look forward to some responses

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:10 pm 

There are quite a few topics that should be able to help you Fuzzy.

Camping in Kruger with a link in there to another one.

Another big one Camping Equipment Owned By Serious Outdoor Wildlife Lovers

and another biggie Camping in Kruger Info

Happy reading!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:11 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Fuzzy,

We love Maroela and Croc Bridge. In fact we love most of the camps in Kruger but unfortunately I'll give LS a miss if I can. We love the area around LS and that sometimes lands us up in the campsite but you get no "bush feel" from there.

My advise to new campers would be to keep it simple. Take everything you need but no more! There is nothing worse than spending hours putting up camp and another few hours packing it all up again. Invest in an easy to pitch tent, we have a dome tent that served us well for 25 years and I still prefer that to anything else. Don't go big on lighting, one headlamp for each person and a small lamp or light that you can move to where you need it is enough. I love my Amarula candle lamp and take it on every trip!

On the last trip we did with the ground tent we only unpacked, the tent, the camping bed, 2 chairs and a table, the gas bottle and single cooking ring. I packed all the kitchen goodies in one crate (2 plates, 2 mugs, an tiny kettle and such) and took only essential groceries. You can get almost anything in Kruger should you run short.
We left the bags with our clothes, the fridge and the kitchen goodies in the Pajero and used it from there so no unnecessary packing up of everything when we moved camp.
You must have gathered by now that we are very lazy campers! :lol:

One thing you should never short change yourself on is the bed. If you don't sleep well, you'll hate the experience, even if you stay in a 5 star hotel! Sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags is not camping, it's torture! :twisted:

Don't stress too much about doing it right! Go out and enjoy the trip, hopefully you'll also fall in love with the bush from under canvas the way we did! :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:59 pm 

Thanks jenb & elsa. Ya I think we would fall into the "less is easier" campers. I just don't see the point in spending hours packing & unpacking. Our whole day is normally spent out the camps so basics it will be. I will definitely check out the lists you supplied Elsa. Much appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I agree 100% with JenB.

I used blow up mattresses, until I found that fixing leaks was no fun. I am a very small person, so it is not a weight issue. I now use a proper stretcher and camping mattress and it makes all the difference.

I am also going to add that you take good lighting with you. I had very inadequate lighting on my first trip with disastrous consequences. I also enjoy reading at night and good rechargeable lamps have made all the difference. they have also proved to be invaluable when ESKOM switches the lights off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next