[ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Safari Vehicle Operators
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

So sad to read Robmeister
Luckily i have never seen this kind of behaviour
Many times i even get tips from OSV drivers
And also share because they to have people onboard who want to see something special

As more have said, please report

Post subject: Open Game Drive Vehicles from Outside the Park
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:45 am 

We spent the past weekend in Hazyview and on Saturday me and my brother-in-law went into the park for the day to see what we could find....

At 5:00 we are at Phabeni Gate and patiently waited for officials to open the gate, we had about 4 Open Game Drive Vehicles in front of us, and about another 6 or so behind us.

As officials opened the gate these vehicles went crazy, overtaking each other and pushing in front of other self-drivers to get in first.

We entered at about 6:00 and headed for Pretoriuskop via the S1 and S7, beautiful scenery, my first time I drove this road.

From there we went up again to Skukuza, we had something to eat there and stretched our legs, from Skukuza we set off to Lower Sabie. As soon as we got on the H4-1 there were some Lions in a riverbed. Once again these Open Game Drive vehicles went ballistic, pushing through cars and going off the road to get their guests to see the lions, obstructing other peoples view and causing huge traffic jams, while others patiently wait in a que, by the time three of them had passed, the lions had left.

We carried on towards Lower Sabie and from there turned to back to Paul Kruger gate. Coming closer to Paul Kruger Gate pass the turn off to Phabeni, there was another big sighting(no sure if it was lion or leopard), these guys took over again and made havoc, the same as at the other sightings, giving no one else chance but them selves.

Between sightings they drive at high speeds, my guess is higher than the speed limit, from sighting to sighting. At sightings they drive off the roads and push other cars out the way.

I am very disgusted in their behavior when in the park, they take over and are destroying the habitat of the animals we love so much. I understand that they also want to give their guests the best they can, but is it worth making the park unpleasant for self-drive visitors?

Has anyone else had this experience or am I just being difficult?

*9-11 May Satara Camping
*12-13 May Balule Camping
*14 May Satara Camping
*15-17 May Pretoriuskop Camping

Trip Report to follow

___________________________________________________________________________________________

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Post subject: Re: Open Game Drive Vehicles from Outside the Park
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 am 

Hi NJVermaak,

You are not being difficult at all, they think they own the place and can do what ever they want.
This one of the reasons I don't like going to the south. We had the best time in Kruger this weekend keeping on the less traveled roads. It is a real pity to plan your trips to avoid these guys.

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 24 September 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:18 am 

A long time complaint!
The thing is where you see them blatantly breaking the rules is to take photos and report them to SANParks and to the company with as many details, time, road, number of vehicle etc as possible.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Agree with Elsa. If you take photos and note time and place and send it to the KNP officials they will act. The number is on your permit to check contact details.

Increasingly it seems that the operators themselves are also keen to have this information. They want to work more closely with KNP to sort out this problem so also contact the operator with the details

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It is always best to report them - those jeep jockeys who disrupt and create a commotion. I am glad the Operators are co-operative to ensure that their employees who misbehave in Kruger are called to order. Their company names are clearly displayed on the vehicles, so their reputation and credibility are at stake.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:39 am 

In January we were traveling from Pretoriuskop to Skukuza via the H1-1. We were about 3km out from Skukuza gate when a hyena popped into the road right in front of us so we stopped to get some awesome photos and as he walked we would follow, always keeping about 30 - 40 meters between us. We spent a good 15 minutes without a single vehicle (which was surprising on a tar road that close to Skukuza!).

And in rushed one of the inconsiderate game vehicles, sped right up to the hyena with it trying to run away from the vehicle, and all the tourists snapping away. It darted into the bush and the vehicle sped off again without even taking a second look. I was so mad! Everyone could have enjoyed the company of that hyena without having it ruined for all.

Apr/May: 28 - 1

Short trips are all I can fit in, but it's better than no trips at all!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
When we were in Kruger in October we came across lions lying in the road between Skukuza and LS, we stopped giving them plenty of space and what happened, a safari vehicle pushed in between our car and the lions totally blocking our view, he was so close to the lions that they got up and disappeared into the bush :evil: :sniper:

We were so astounded by this behavior, couldn't believe they could be so inconsiderate and just plain rude. :doh:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: Watch out "Safari Vehicle Operators", see you soon!!! :twisted:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Philip1 wrote:
:hmz: Watch out "Safari Vehicle Operators", see you soon!!! :twisted:

Yes Philip, you sort them out please :gflower:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This problem would not be there if there was no radio contact between the vehicles. They are racing to sightings at excessive speeds and in vast numbers. We were in the Park in January and there were two very sleepy male lions at the waterhole on the S21. The portion of road leading to this waterhole had taken serious strain with the rains but the OSV's just poured down there at huge speed and in such numbers that we gave up counting when we got to nearly 20. This is absolutely insane - I was under the impression that the calling in of sightings had been stopped by Sanparks but it appears to have crept back in and is becoming a major issue again. We were originally told that they require their radios for operational emergencies. Well the average tourist does not have access to any kind of emergency radio on the roads so why should they be any different? Its one thing to report a single OSV company for extremely bad behaviour but when you have 20 vehicles heading to a sighting at high speed on a gravel road it is virtually impossible to even recognise which company is driving which vehicle. Interesting that on a number of occasions - maybe attributable to the signage on our bus and the yellow and green ribbon we have been mistaken for an official Sanparks vehicle and have even had an OSV almost apologising to us for forcing us on to the verge on a narrow gravel road.

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I actually find that obviously pointing a camera in their direction so that they notice it is often sufficient!!!! And that is even when I am not in uniform with decals on the car.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It makes you wonder if they just take their bad behavior down the road in that case, EJ.

Agreed with what is said above, let SANParks and the company know. They can't fix a problem if we don't bring it to their attention.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:13 am 

My question to SanParks is this.

How often and how many complaints do you have to get before you take some SERIOUS and PERMANENT ACTION to curb this behaviour????????. It does seem evident from the amount of complaints that these are on the increase and little seems to be done about it.

Mike Goss
International Visitor ( 9 years and counting )

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:14 am 

Think they should bring in the more control over these guys, have had where they push in at the gate when I was first, they don't wear the guide badges(I am a guide as well but stay in the park for 7 days at a time).

All the vehicles should have id numbers on all 4 sides of the vehicles. Nice and big then we could easily report them. They give guides a bad name.

Satara 25 & 26 April 2014
Mopani 27 & 28 April 2014
Punda Maria 29 & 30 April 2014

11-13 May 2014 Kruger lodge

Satara 15-18 June 2014
Lower Sabie 19 - 22 June 2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next