Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: My most memorable moment
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have unfortunately not been to Twanana , I know someone who has been there !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:24 pm 

I cannot define a moment but several. It all started with my dad. As a child we would leave home (Pretoria) in the early hours of the morning. Arrive at one of the gates at KNP way before it even opens. Even then the anticipation was exciting. Once the gate opened, we leave behind a world with all it's problems. My dad used to say, you leave your problems at the gate when you enter and pick them up again when you leave. Now, what I am about to write is not to be 'repeated' today in camps, but my dad used to set himself 'up' in front of our tent/caravan covered with a blanket except for his eyes to 'see through his camera'. Paid a 'tiekie' to one of the workers in the late afternoon to put all the rubbish in a bin right in front of our 'tent'. Then my dad would also set up his camera ready and waiting. Waiting was never too long for the hyeanas that used to come into Skukuza tented area. At 9pm sharp, they would come in, then move towards the dustbin, tip the lid off, at which point my dad would take a picture of the animal. Once the flash went off the hyeana would make a run for it! This was definately a highlight for me. A memory of which to tell my grand children about some day. Another most memorable moment was when we were driving on a road which had a sign that read 'no entry', but as my dad was an honorary ranger, he wanted to do some checking on this road. We came across an elephant who was very irritable and saw a car pulling away just before we got to the scene. They were throwing the elephant with oranges! Needless to say, when we stopped, the elephant was raging mad already so we had to just drive on. About 1 kilometer further we got a flat tyre. Being on this road first of all was dangerous as no other cars except officials will be driving. So, we were stuck. My dad put a knive in my 17 year old brother's hand and told him to walk towards the main road and flag down a car. Needless to say this never happened as my brother was scared and so would I have been. We drove the car with the flat wheel and made it to Tshokwane around 7pm. The ranger there didn't have another spare wheel and told us to drive to camp (Skukuza), but to be careful not to switch on lights in the road if there are animals like Giraffe in the road (apparently, they tend to kick car thinking it is fire)...we set off eventually to camp driving with one wheel that was on the rim. It was an adventure of note especially for me at age 10. When we got to camp we discovered a hyaena had chewed on the spare wheel which my dad took out that morning. What a day it was!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here I go , bragging again , but this I have to share , yet again .
I was very fortunate to be invited to a function in Sept 2008 at Berg en Dal to celebrate the 30 th anniversary of wilderness trails .
I camped with the trails rangers on the banks of the Crocodile river near Malelane , and while packing up to leave we were treated to a breeding herd of elephants whose regular path to the river we were obstructing .
They casually observed us for a good 5 minutes , and then moved off , apparently unpeterbed ....
This was surely the best short animal interaction experiences of all my most memorable KNP experiences ...

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:33 pm 

naomirsa wrote:
My dad used to say, you leave your problems at the gate when you enter and pick them up again when you leave.

My dad also said that every time we went to the KNP (well not this exact phrase but very similar)
He had a stressful job back home in germany but totally forgot about his "normal daily world" when in the KNP

One of my most memorable moments was back in 1993 - the first time I saw a male lion walking right next to our car on the road! Then I realized how BIG they actually are - what a sight! When you see them lying somewhere further away, they don`t look nearly as big and strong as they actually are!

Another memorable moment was at my recent visit. We stayed at Balule and several hyenas were running around right next to the fence and made their typical, giggling sounds full of excitement - 2 m away from us and at full moon!

KNP-trip No. 8: 2014!
30 November: Pretoriuskop
1-2 December: Lower Sabie
3-4 December: Satara
5-6 December: Balule
7-8 December: Letaba
9-10 December: Tamboti

1993, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2013. Next trip coming up!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:24 pm 

Something else that is most memorable is the camp Skukuza way back in the 60's. As we always only camped out in the camping area, at night whilst mom is busy with the cooking, my dad would make friends with the other campers and soon we would all be sitting around a fire talking about the day's sightings. Some of these people remained friends for years to come. After supper, us youngsters would then go to the front of the restaurant at Skukuza and whilst the adults sat and had a cup of coffee on the 'stoep' we would play games on the lawn. Today there is no longer grass, but cement. We used to watch many animals come to drink water right in front of the restaurant. I have never since seen any animal there on the opposite bank of the river. Only baboons now and again on the bridge where the old train used to go over. I must admit that this camp has the most memorable memories for me and it is very hard nowadays to go to the camping site and know my parents are no longer here on earth. They loved the park so much! We were too poor to stay in rondawels in those days, but I had the opportonity to still take my mother to stay over once in a guest house at Skukuza and it was the first time she did not have to sleep in a tent. We were after all 5 kids and there just was no income. I so enjoyed spoiling her with another trip again before she too passed on. It is good memories when I go to Skukuza, but it also saddens me a lot when I go there. It is the only place where I still feel close to them or their presence. Oh, and I also remember the 'old' entrance gate to Skukuza - the big clock (which is still there) but in those days the gate was right there where it is now.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

naomirsa , I yearn for those days .

Post subject: Re: First Time to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:47 am 

Wow so many lovely memories guys! The Kruger is definitely a memory making machine

My first visit to Kruger was when I was a baby so I dont remember 'my first time' but I can recall a memory of when I was very young and we were having lunch at the Tshokwane picnic spot when all of a sudden a huge male baboon came running towards our table. My father almost died as he saw the baboon coming towards us at full speed and it appeared to him as if the baboon was gunning straight for me!

My dad ran and swooped me up in his arms as the baboon reached the table only to steal the plastic packet of bread rolls!!!! That was a 'phew!' moment....

December KNP:
16 - 18: Punda Maria
19: Shingwedzi
20 - 23: Mopani

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Probably the most memorable moment (there are many) that we had in Kruger was a very large herd of buffalo one chilly evening close to the fence at the Talamati Camp while we were sitting around the braai fire. What made it really special was that it was full moon and the buffaloes against the African moonlit winter veld were just great.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:30 pm 

those who do not like snakes!!

Some years ago on a family tip to Kruger, in-laws the works, we stopped at the lookout at Orpen Dam about noon, the others went into the lookout, while I filled water/juice bottles at the back of the Landy, from our fridge, we were parked about halfway down the car park area. I was wearing sandals as all day drive when a large black mamba whose body was about as thick as my wrist went over my feet, no doubt it had been sunning somewhere and had been disturbed, it was the most off sensation but I very heroically managed to keep both feet on the ground, SO by this stage had seen the episode from the entrance to the lookout and thought it very funny :sniper:

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Wow bbz,

I bet it was funny afterwards, not during.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:54 pm 

BB

up until then the only snakes I had seen in Kruger were on Wilderness Trails Live but fleeting) or as road kill, so to have such a large very much alive snake was something of a surprise :)

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My latest memorable moment .

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 am 

Eish A.
You only need a loincloth and you look like Johnny Weismuller in "Tarzan and the Apes". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:27 pm 

It may sound silly to those of you who grew up going to the park, but I remember the electric thrill when I found sanparks.org and this forum and realized that I actually could go to Africa on my own.

Early in 2007 I was on the computer late at night, with my wife asleep in the other room. From my place in Chicago I watched zebra at the Satara webcam, read a bunch of trip reports, and realized that there was enough information in the forums for me to put together my own trip. Before, Kruger was just a name, like the other major parks in Africa. I knew I would never be able to take one of those "luxury safari trips"- that was for other people. I went from not even knowing that there was a place like this, where you could drive your own car around the bush, to having the basic outline of a trip organized in about 3 hours. Then of course came months of trying to convince my wife to go, or let me go alone.

I went alone in 2007, I took a friend in 2009, and finally my wife and two year old child will be with me on a two week trip this September (177 days to be exact)! I know she will fall in love with Kruger as I did, and that will make it much easier to talk her into KTP next year...

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:36 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

winnydpu wrote:
I know she will fall in love with Kruger as I did, and that will make it much easier to talk her into KTP next year...

The first bit is easy, and you don't even have to point out anything, Kruger will take care of it. 8)

KTP will be more difficult. More expensive car, no fence of note around some camps, sand...
If you know a sure way talk to my wife please? :lol:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next