Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Priveliged sightings
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wow people you all have priveliged sightings!!!

Mine happend last year when my brother and I went to the park on our own. And on the 28th of December I couldnt sleep as I was awaiting my matric results and were a little bit stressed!!!! :redface:

So as soon as the gates opened of LS i were out of the camp not planning to go to far to be back at the camp when the shop opens to get the Beeld to look for my name. So i decided to take the H-10. Just after i crossed the bridge I came apon a few giraffs and stopped to have a look at them. after a few minutes I saw the one cow stepping wide and the next moment she went into labour!!! I watched this AMAZING scene unfold untill the little calf stood on his/her feet.

And you know what: All the other cars saw the giraffs and drived on not seeing what i was seeing!!!

Needless to say I forgot about my results and when I entered the camp I got a call from my dad congratulating me on my results. Only then i remembered about it and hurried to the shop to get the beeld. I couldnt have asked for better day!!!!

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

More to life than exam results, gerharddb :lol:
What a great sighting :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I saw a birth in Addo last year gerharddb, and it was far more awe inspiring than any of the kills I have seen. I have reported on it here. Check out the photos on the following post.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

BB and GerardB Both very special sightings :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

p@m wrote:
More to life than exam results, gerharddb :lol:

I agree P@m. But on that morning the stress levels were on a all time high!! eish not a nice feeling!!!!!!

But indeed that was an AMAZING sighting!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Found the story! linked on my previous post. Check out the pics also.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

BB truly amazing sightings!!!!

Unfortunatly no pics from the giraffe birth I saw as i forgot the camera at camp!!!
:redface: :redface:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My most priveliged sighting was a lion kill unfold before my eyes. We had spotted some lions at N'waswitshaka waterhole, just down the road from Skukuza, and had been with them for about an hour. They were just sitting under a tree, about 13 of them, when one from under a bush we couldn't see mock charges the impala there. The place was PACKED with impala. Really. There were increadible numbers. Then we see her sister an her forming an ambush.

She sat in a stalking position for ages, watching the clueless impala wandering right past her. Then, in the blink of an eye, she lifted her body and sent a terrified impala hurling towards her sister, a bite to the neck later, the entire pride began to make its way to the kill and feed mercilessly for 5 minutes, bloody faces snarling everywhere. The meat began to run out, males running off with legs, vicious cat fights ensueing, when about five little ones appeared to eat the scraps. WOW. In 15 minutes the enire event was over, nothing left but a pile of bloody skin and bones, and of course the fat, lazy lions, now cleaning their faces and dozing in the sun. Cubs gone.

Unforgettable experience.

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject: Re: My most memorable moment
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I could one day write a book about mine , here is another one :
In 1991 I visited a friend who at the time was based at Orpen . Being attached to the conservation division , as trails rangers were at that time , he had access to areas out of bounds to the rest of the staff , and I was lucky to enjoy a few special times with him . Bear in mind that at that time night drives were in their infancy , not to mention bush braais and day walks and open safari vehicles , even the trails vehicles were of the closed-invariety .
Precisely where Tambotis borehole is now (behind the ablutions around tent 20) there was a fenced off area with a diesel engine and pump to supply water to Orpen and Morula . I was treated to a night braai there , a herd of buffalo passed by , just visible in the torchlight , there was much anticipation that there would be some special activity from the ever present lions around the buffalos , but none were seen .
Indeed a special experience for the time .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lovely memory Ndloti....I think that keeping certain things "out of bounds" added to the sense of privilege that should come with being in a place like KNP....

Another one of mine: I took a midday walk along the Biyamiti fence as I usually do. In the river bed and just 5 - 8 metres from the fence was a family of Ellies. I walked very quietly and slowly and stood still. They were not threatened by my presence....they did know I was there. I felt vulnerable, yet they were clearly at ease.

This was as close to walking "among" wild Elephants as one can safely get....the only thing separating us was a mere wire fence.

I watched in silence and listened to their soft footsteps, the sound of the grass being pulled from the ground, watched as they shook off the sand from the grass before eating it. I listened to their breathing....I was completely at ease (yet on guard not to upset them at the same time) and felt a deep sense of awe at being in the presence of these powerful yet gentle creatures......yet another moment I will always remember.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

11 July 2008 in KRUGER driving along the S125 N'waswitsonto loop . We hear the cry "we are . . . . . from AFRICA " and again " we are . . . . .from AFRICA " Then we see them high in the sky , diving and dancing and swirling and twisting and turning trusting with talons holding on tight , while in their courtship embrace ,telling the whole world "we are . . . . . from AFRICA " , a pair of African Fish Eagles . How fortunate the two of us were ,to share this with them - "we are . . . . . also from AFRICA ".

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:36 pm 

We visited Twanana a few times. We always made it a family-get-together with the youngest cousins 3 and 7.

We were warned on our first stay that an old male lion might pay us a visit. This meant that we had to be on guard at all times.
Getting the 'donkey' up and running for hot water was a bit of a problem as it is quite a distance away from the lapa or huts. The water pump was also down the road from the huts but out of bounds at night so it could only be started in the mornings.

One evening we were a bit late in starting up the donkey, so we had to make it a team effort to walk up to the donkey and light it up. Talking about a donkey it is quite a difficult concept for little 3 year olds to grasp for the simple reason that they always want look inside to see if he can find the donkey :roll:.

On this particular evening with the donkey team effort my one aunt was clutching the small little hand of this 3 year old boy. With everything dead quiet because no electricity and no people around but us, the tension is running high. Suddenly a soft little voice pierces through the silence: “Tannie, jy maak my hand seer” (Auntie, you’re hurting my hand). Little did she release that because she was so scared she didn’t realize that she was squeezing the life out of this poor little boy’s hand.

On another visit, we went to bed early as usual. Suddenly we woke up in the early morning hours by a rumble in the kitchen. Too scared to go out, we opened the door of the hut and switched the spotlights on.... LEOPARD!!!!!! :big_eyes:

It jumped through a big opening from the lapa's side into the kitchen as the door was closed.
Just pots and pans everywhere...

The next morning we went to look for spoor and walking down the road towards the water pump we found a torn-up spiderman fluffy toy. Thinking that the 3 year old would be heartbroken about his toy, the opposite happend. He wanted to show everybody that the leopard tried to eat his spiderman.

The smell was horrible!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This is a secret place on Pioneer dam that only the very well connected (even those in Sanparks staff) get to see .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:19 pm 

That's correct.
Had my last visit there about 2 years + ago :cry:.
Very sad but memories lasts forever!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quit bragging you 2... :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next