Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: My most memorable moment
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:34 pm 

naomirsa wrote:
Something else that is most memorable is the camp Skukuza way back in the 60's. As we always only camped out in the camping area, at night whilst mom is busy with the cooking, my dad would make friends with the other campers and soon we would all be sitting around a fire talking about the day's sightings. Some of these people remained friends for years to come. After supper, us youngsters would then go to the front of the restaurant at Skukuza and whilst the adults sat and had a cup of coffee on the 'stoep' we would play games on the lawn. Today there is no longer grass, but cement. We used to watch many animals come to drink water right in front of the restaurant. I have never since seen any animal there on the opposite bank of the river. Only baboons now and again on the bridge where the old train used to go over. I must admit that this camp has the most memorable memories for me and it is very hard nowadays to go to the camping site and know my parents are no longer here on earth. They loved the park so much! We were too poor to stay in rondawels in those days, but I had the opportonity to still take my mother to stay over once in a guest house at Skukuza and it was the first time she did not have to sleep in a tent. We were after all 5 kids and there just was no income. I so enjoyed spoiling her with another trip again before she too passed on. It is good memories when I go to Skukuza, but it also saddens me a lot when I go there. It is the only place where I still feel close to them or their presence. Oh, and I also remember the 'old' entrance gate to Skukuza - the big clock (which is still there) but in those days the gate was right there where it is now.

Naomirsa, all I can say to this is “Snap” I can visualize and relive precisely every detail that you describe.
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

As for your mom and dad – I salute them.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am privilege to still have my mom, and take her with me to Kruger whenever possible.
:pray:

[b]Unforgettable Adventures and Memories . . . . Metsi Metsi - March 2011[/b]
[url]http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=51559[/url]

27.12 - 31.12 (Shingwedzi)
01.01 (Tamboti)
02.01 - 03.01 (L.Sabie)
04.01 - 08.01 (Pretoriuskop)

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi DuQues

The Kgalagadi is not as bad as you make it out to be -- you do NOT need to hire a more expensive car -- the cheapest little car can do it. Anybody who is scared of the wilds would feel very safe in Matamata and Nossob camp. I would suggest them for first timers, and perhaps Kgalagadi tented camp...
So winnydp, just come along and enjoy it. Don't choose the hottest months, though!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:21 pm 

well there are so many events which brands in my mind I can´t actually say which one is the most spectacular one or not. In kruger my highlight were my first Cheetah sithging. Actually i firgott where I saw it :redface: . But we drove for hours we saw nothing not even one Impie. It was round about 9.00 in the morning, we were all grumpy because we hadn´t breakfast and therefor were hungry. After 4 hours drive (it was dec 2002), we decided to make a breakfast break and hope for more luck. Lets say round about 3 Km for the picnic spot I had my Cheetah sighting which will never been toped. This cat was so close to our car it was amazing. And we could watch this cat very very long. Round about 30 minutes + x. The cat strawl around and wasn´t bosthered by us at all. we were the only car. this one was very special. It wasn´t spectacular but it was long and close and on top of it my first Cheetah sighting... . And till now in RSA my only one. I saw Cheetahs in Serengeti but not in Southern Africa.

@ all indeed you all have very intresting Stories I really enjoy reading it.

Post subject: Re: My most memorable moment and first times to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My first memory of Kruger was the Letaba Camp and the river in front of the restaurant as a child with my parents. I remember the restaurant was a very special place and the atmosphere was good - in a very Kruger kind of way. I am glad that I can still return to the Letaba camp and find it almost the same that it was in my childhood days.

Post subject: Re: My most memorable moment and first times to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:51 pm 

Playing under the sprinklers at lower sabie under the trees

Sitting at Orpen dam at night watching the stars and Satellites.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19