Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Your best night in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:48 am 

Hello to all :) .

Firstly, before i continue, i know that every night in kruger is special in one way or another :D , but there just has to be that one night that is so stigmatic that it will stay with you forever and ever :hmz: . I have had the privilege of having approximately 350 Kruger night's under my belt and it was really difficult to narrow it down to just 1. So i've bent the rules a little to describe 2 of my very stigmatic African Kruger night's. I've decided to do it alphabetically :) .

1. SABLE HIDE:.

Sable Hide is a bird hide during the day which transforms into a very primitive dwelling by nightfall. Situated in the North of Kruger approx 55km from Letaba towards the Phalabhorwa gate.
you are in the middle of no mans land, it's a fenced off hide that sleeps 9. No water. No electricity. No guard or ranger. nearest help is @ Letaba :big_eyes:. All this overlooking the sable dam. Brilliant :dance:.
Not for the feint hearted :tongue:.

Arrived at the hide @ 17:30 and started to unpack the vehicle.
As we entered the hide we forgot all about the vehicle and the unpacking as we all just grabed our benches to view a mating pair of ellies in the dam.It was trully an awesome sight, then from the corner of my eye i spotted a single buffalo who wonderd down to have a last minuite drink before nightfall, not realizing that that was the pathfinder to a 500 strong heard. within 15 min the dam was swamped with buffalo.
About 5 min later a noise that will send any heard into a frenzy flee.
yup you got it, a Majestic Lion ROARRR!!!!. We could'nt see him but boy oh boy he must have been no more than 30 meters from us. we all sat in awe to witness the 500 strong heard stampede their way towards safer ground. The lion's ROARR sent pulsating shivers through our bodies whilst the hide vibrated :big_eyes: . To discribe it in one word (AWESOME). The ellies multiplied very quickly and before you knew it there must of been some 30 to 40 of them at the water. Some of them drinking and some of them bathing. The ellies and the lion stayed with us throughout our overnight stay @ Sable Hide. Got to see a Serval at around 23:00. It came down to have a quick drink and dissapeared. (WOW) :dance:
Unfortunately we did not get to see the lion, but i think it was for the better. Reason being that he kept us in suspense the entire night.
where is he? what's he gonna do? hehehe. then he gave us a last ROARR at 5:00 in the morning.
We then made some breakfast while watching a stretch of gireffe drinkink water. Sadly it was time to depart and move on. It is a night that i will never forget.
Many people have seen lion, wildogs, cheetah and leopard to name a few, at Sable hide. In May this year there was a kill @ sable hide.
Give it a try. worth it.

Gotta run. Second best night to follow shortly.
If you have a special Kruger night, than share it with us.
PLEASE :pray:.

Post subject: Re: Your best night in KRUGER. !!!!!!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WOW !! I shall immediately look where SABLE HIDE is and how to stay a night. And then I thought the night at Tambotie when a pack of lions killed a buffalo in the dry riverbed could not be more spectacular :? Can't wait for episode 2 :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:09 pm 

Hello Leanawel.

Wow pride of lions with buffalo kill @ Tamboti is a great sight :thumbs_up: .
As it is my other best kruger night is believe it or not a night in TAMBOTI. I will have to get back to the story because i have some erands to take care of.
But don't stray to far away from your computer. Will be back shortly with story. Just keep in mind that all KRUGER stories does'nt have to include animals in it. My next experience does not include animals.
It is a unique experience that us city sleekers don't appreciate much back home.
Chat later.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
It was at Biyamiti.... well mostly just outside.

I started organizing annual NP visits for our church in 2000 with a trip to Kgalagadi. It was enjoyed so much that I was 'coerced' into organizing one to Kruger in 2001. The night before we arrived at Biyamiti, a giraffe had died 1 km from camp just off the road and had been found by a leopard that had been chased off by a pride of about 13 lions. This was great for me, because my 'customers' were happy at being able to see lions first every day.
On our third and last day there, we met at Nkuhlu for brunch, and 3 groups decided to do a loop via Tshokwane. We had had some quite good sightings, including lions south of LS that put us under time pressure. It was 18h00 as we turned into the Biyamiti road, 4 km to go, and the first time ever I was not going to make it in time. When we got to the carcass site, the road was full of buffalo millimg around and a bit agitated. WooHoo! a godsend. I immediately rang the camp and told them that we were stranded and couldn't get past the buffs. What I didn't know was the staff member put out an APB, and soon we saw lights on the other side of the buffs. For the next hour amazing scenes played out. The lions tried, and succeeded in isolating a buff, but the herd charged and rescued it. We had lions sneaking round our cars to try to outflank the buffs, and suddenly the road would be full of lions, and then buffs again. It was regular chaos. There were also opportunistic hyenas going for the carcass and being chased off. At last the buffs retreated and the lions retired to the carcass and traffic could get through. Some of our party were on the night ride and were watching from the other side of the drama.
Much later, a few of us were gathered discussing the events, and the camp manager, who is now a good friend, came to join us and informed me that there was a fine for being late. This impressed the gallery, but he added that under the citcumstances, he would waive it, seeing that all had been so royally entertained.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@BB If they insisted on a fine, it would have been worth every cent. Great stuff!!! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks BB - the Biyamiti-story is great :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:51 pm 

Hello to all.

Wow Bush Baptist :big_eyes:. must of been a great sight for you and your guests :thumbs_up:.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Without doubt my best night in Kruger so far was the night that I spent on my own at Sable Dam.

Unfortunately I am blessed with a vivid imagination, and I think it must have been the nervous chattering of my teeth which scared away the residents as, apart from a herd of ellies who popped down for a sundowner at dusk, nobody - absolutely nobody - disturbed my night.

Never mind - the experience of being all on my own in the bush was absolutely magical :D

Thinking about it, there was one owl who must have been thoroughly fed up with me as I kept forgetting about it and caught it several times in the beam of my spotlight whilst vainly scanning the dam banks for visitors :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MY Best Night in Kruger ( copied from my TR Rusky's Kruger Ramble)

[i]“Oooonnnggghhh! Oooooonnnnngggghhhhhh! Oooonnggghhh! Oooonnnngggghhh! Ooonnggghhh1 ooonnngghh! Oonngghh! Oongh!” [/i]
LIONS, followed by
“Haaarrrr! Haaarrrrrhh! Haar! Haarrrr! Harrr! Hrrrr!”(I first thought) Hyena (but now know it’s Impala. Bucks protecting their territory)
Suddenly there’s something in my bed! No, not hyena. Maria! She’s cold too. We pull out extra blankets from the cupboard and cover the kids then hop in under the covers together in my single bed.
“I love Tamboti” she whispers
“Me too” I reply
“I don’t want to leave Tamboti” she continues.
“Haaarrrr! Haarrrr! Harrr! Hrrrr!” No, not me. Hyena!
“Should I check if I can get us another night here?” I offer.
There’s a pregnant pause.
“Nah! One night will not be enough. Let’s come back again” she says.
“Ooooonnngggghh! Ooonnnggghh! Ooonnggh!Oonngh!” No, not lions, ME.!
“When the kids are older and we can come alone, just you and me” she suggests.
“How about for our 50th birthday year – 2017” Me.
“Okay. It’s a deal” she agrees.
“Ooooonnngggghh! Ooonnnggghh! Ooonnggh!Oonngh!” No, not me, Lions!
“Haaarrrr! Haarrrr! Harrr! Hrrrr!” Yep, definitely me.

At 5am we go outside and light the braai and sit together as the forest awakens. The day is looking so much brighter already………for we are coming back to Kruger, again! Once the Bass has decided its set in triple strength concrete.

We’re definitely coming back! Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:45 am 

Hi Leanewal.
Here is the second night as i promised
Great stuff Rusky, Simonb 6.

Like i mentioned previously that all experiences in Kruger does'nt have to always include animals or for that matter the big five.
Lets keep in mind that a story can never reflect the true magnitude of an experience. Those of you who appreciates Kruger for what it is will understand my next experience sincerly.

My other best Kruger night happened at Tamboti.
It was a normal summers evening. Got to our camp @ 18:30 and as usual we had some fantastic sightings for the day. We got to see two nomad lions approx 50 meters from the Tamboti gate, a leopard with kill on the S36 about 5KM before Muzandzeni picnic site, and two bull ellies fighting at Muzandzeni picnic site.
The first thing we did upon arrival @ Tamboti camp was lit the fire for our evening Braai (Barbeque).
What did we hear next? :big_eyes:.

Tssssss .............no thats not a snake that's me putting some red meat on the hot braai grid :lol:. After we had our fill, we sat around the fire reflecting on the days sightings underneath a clear and beautiful Africa Sky. We marveled at the bright and shiny stars, something that we don't get to do back home for some reason or the other.

We then called it the night at 22:30 so we could have an early start the next morning.We stayed in a luxury safari tent that had no airconditioner. As i got inside the tent i rolled up the side screens and wished that we could get a natural breeze passing through the tent.

Then the moment that i will never forget. A slight wind and a rumble from the sky. The moon soon disappeared behind the cloud cover. Lightning and thunder brightened up the sky. Then the heavens opened it's doors and showered Tamboti with some much needed rain.
This came as some relieve from the sweltering heat of the day. The slight wind pushed the raindrops against the side screen creating a light spray on my face. The smell of moist sand and rain together with the light spray on my face (AWESOME). I thought of the others and got up to close the side screens. (DON'T YOU DARE)! were the words that i heared from the others.

ANYTHING IN KRUGER IS GREAT :thumbs_up:.

Last edited by TINY on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:16 pm 

WOW Tiny! :D

You've just just brought back 2 very special memories for me, of 2 very similar experineces to your Tamboti one! Enjoyed the most amazing thunder storms, in tents too, at Tamboti & Skukuza. 2 Nights I'll definitley not forget!

Thanks for that!! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:59 pm 

Hi In My Blood.

Is'nt that an amazing experience :thumbs_up:.

I will be visiting Kruger next week with RV :tongue: .

09. Lower sabie :dance:
10. Skukuza :dance:
11. Berg-en-dal :dance:
12. Bush walk @ Berg-en-dal. :dance:
Then we leave for home :cry: .

Will keep you guys in touch with Kruger gossip and sightings :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:16 pm 

Best night would have to be about 4 years ago.
Took my girlfriend to the Kruger, it was her first night in the kruger since she was 3 years old.

We were at Tamboti in one of the done-up tents.
After a great braai we headed for bed.
The tent 'blinds' were down and, as most of you know, its like there is no mesh, you can see straight out the 'windows' and door. Lying in bed we could see straight out onto the riverbed. It was full moon (or close).

shortly after we hit the lights, i heard the unmistakable rasping call of a leopard, which sounded like it was coming from between the fence and riverbed. i told my girlfriend what that sound was and she immediatly was eyes-wide-open!
A minute later the baboons roosting in one of the large trees on the bank next to the fence went beserk.
Not just the usual screams and howls... between the chaos we could hear them running through the bush (all this must have been 3/4 meteres from the fence). it was a mad panic.

after about 3 minutes of this, things settled down. Shortly after the chaos, we heard the leopard again.
My girlfriend asked if i thought the leopard might have caught one the baboons.
Seconds later a hyean's excitable chatter, squeal and whoop came blaring through our tent.
Heard a cat-fight (literally) with growls and snarls, from what was probably 15 meters away from us in our bed.

Not too sure, but i reckon a leopard might have caught a baboon and was discovered by a hyeana and most probably chased off.

Awesome experience :D

p.s
Next morning we left the camp as the gates opened and came across plus/minus 15-20 wild dogs fast asleep 1 km down the road.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:25 pm 

You guys are bad, I'm suppose to work but I can not tear myself away from this forum. Reading about your nights almost makes my heart break with all the longing. One of my fav nights was a warm summer night in the brand new tents @ Punda. We had pizza the night before we left for the Park and took the leftovers with. The travelling was far and hot (38+degrees) and when we finally sat on our deck, fire going nicely, sunsetting, francolins greeting the night, pizza on the fire (njam) and bubbly in glass, it started to rain! A soft misty type of rain that was not uncomfortable to sit in. You could smell AFRICA at its best. All the little ones came out to enjoy, even a family of cane-rats. And best of all - grannies were babysitting and it was only hubby and I @ Punda before we went on one of our best trails ever: Nyalaland.

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:05 pm 

Hello LeeLee and Davegrohl :D

Great stuff :clap:.

Those baboons screaming must be a sound that you will never forget :big_eyes: .

Keep them coming :popcorn: