Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:23 pm 

Breakfast:
Coffee to go with rusks till we reach the picnic spot.
Tomato, onion, and bacon mixed grill with chillies for skop, or bacon, banna on toast with eggs on the side. Complimented with some fruit and juice/coffee.
Lunch:
Leftovers, sandwiches and junk food (chips,Biltong, etc)
Dinner:
Lamb ribs/steak/pork rashers or tjops whatever floats our boat that evening. Also braai broodjies with tomato/onion and cheese as well as apricot jam. These are the bestest toasted brootjies ever. Lots of obies if its cold as well as Amarulla, windhoek largers and a Johny Walker black as a nightcap.
Plenty of fruit all day to keep the vegetairians happy.
But the most important food item for the trip is to ensure a good supply of Biltong & droewors 24/7

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

timbo wrote:
This is not really for everyone but here's an awesome treat for the kids and adults alike.

You know the cherries that go onto cakes. Those cherries rapped in bacon.Held together with toothpicks. Cooked on the braai. Easy to pack. Bloody fantastic. Excuse me.

You can do that with dried plums or apricots as well - tastes fantastic! :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WHAT AN EXPERIENCE TO READ ALL THE MENU's. Are you guys in the Park to eat or to do game watching? :lol: Don't worry, we are exactly the same. For me a trip to any National Park is an adventure in keeping the menu interesting.

Morning Rusks and Coffee

Brunch at our favourite picnic spot (Babalala, Pafuri or Timbavati). This will consist of bacon, eggs, crumpets, pancakes or Mieliekoekies with cheese and honey. (Have had many people commenting on my ability to make crumpets/pancakes in the middle of the bush.) Breakfast is often served with a bottle of bubbly - there is always something to celebrate!

Lunch - a snack and a few Windhoeks, G&T's (for the mozzies) or a spritzer.

Supper - An elaborate colonial spread of sosaties / grilled chicken / fillet / pork chops. With at least 2 fresh salads, potatoes in all forms and shapes (married to an Irishman). Or an Oxtail / lamb or chicken potjie with rice and salad.
This is all consumed with copious amounts of red wine.

Dessert is usually Amarula, Frangelico or more red wine.

I strongly believe that a trip to the Park cannot really be enjoyed without making a real wood-fire for braaing and looking into (to find your soul again) EVERY night.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:24 am 

For my brother and I, a day usually consists of the following:

~cup of coffee and rusks before heading out on our morning drive
~Skottel breakfast, with bacon, eggs, mushrooms, fried banana, toast, and fruit juice
~A stop at a camp for a Buffalo pie, chips and gravy (mmmm)
~Dinner is always a braai, with jaffles made on the fire.

And of course, in between all of this, loads of biltong, beer and other snacks.
:dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

For those of you with a sweet tooth, try this on your next braai for dessert

Banana splits
Slice banan lenghtways in half. Put a few marshmallows and 2 or 3 squares of chocolate in the centre. Wrap in tin foil and place on the fire, just long enough for the marshmallows and choclate to melt. Yummy :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pjw sounds delicious!!! Will surely try it out next time I'm in KNP.

For those who love their veggies try:
I always take a cup of mixed veggies and then put it in foil with a block of butter and then put it on the coals(cause a braai is in order every night!!!) and wait till its done!! Quick, nice and easy!!!

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jaffles are kinda like toasted sandwiches, but made on a jaffle iron on the fire. A jaffle iron is like a snackwich on a long handle so you can put it on the fire

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

kathy sa jaffles are bread usually filled with mince and stuff and then put in a mold in a circle and then clamp it together, the edges cut off and then onto the stove of coals and then when the bread turns brown or the way you like it you take it off and eat!!! Very nice!!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:05 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
louis scheepers wrote:
Prawns, and lots of it.

Prawns.... you say..... :hmz: ... Yip, I can do prawns in KNP.

I bought myself a cheep little sandwich toaster for camping. Before we leave I prepare some ready samies with ham and cheese and chicken mayo, wrap them individually in gladwrap and stash them on the fridge. Before we leave camp in the morning, I pop a few into the toaster, fill our traveling cups with coffee and then we hit the road. Nice hot samies and coffee while cruzing KNP...... what a life! It's also a great inbetweener for those "Ma, I'm hungry" times when you get back to camp. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Best Kruger food Ideas
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

have to agree wachinda there are a few hot tempered people right now so the meals should be done in a japtrap! :lol:

Breakfast- the leftovers of the previos nights braai, meaning the wors and meat go down very smooth with a cup of coffee! and then i found some 'stuff' at the local spar which i thing will go down good aswell as an brekkie. Its an already mixed pancake(pannekoek) mix so you just ad water and then you make your pancake and then filled with mince or sugar wont be bad i think. Still have to try in KNP!!

Lunch- for me lunch usually is non existend as i eat biltong and dried fruits while driving and maby a self made sarmie.

dinner- potjie go down well but it take a while to make but if going for more than a week i dont mind coming in to camp a little earlier than usual to start the potjie. otherwise it depends on if you have pots and stuff to make pasta or kerrie en rys.

how hungry i am now!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:53 am 

wachinda wrote:
What besides dry wors and biltong are good snack ideas

Chips, nuts, biscuits, we often stop and have cheese and biscuits (excellent with a glass of wine :wink: )
Make toasties on the braai, cheese, onion and tomatoes or whatever you like, butter both sides of the bread and sprinkle the outside with Aromat. If there are any left they are also good a padkos :)
Have a great trip!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:50 am 

As great as a good braai is, it does take time if done properly. we will pack a couple of home cooked meals that we can just heat and eat, especially on the night we will be doing the star gazing .

2 days and counting.......

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:49 pm 

If you are like me and feel like a pig after spending some time in the park, from all the rusks, biltong, chips etc... A healthier option we have started now is the fruit & nut mix from f & v. These are great for car snacks!

For me, the braai is half of the experience and I can spend AGES around the fire. But, if I feel like an easy cooking night, NOTHING beats the ribs from a little secret in honeydew! (pm me if you want the details, their chicken & lamb are fantastic too) A bit pricey but pre-cooked, pre-marinated and DELICIOUS! Just toss on the braai & brown them!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:04 pm 

Hi all,

Food in the park is part of the fun - we visit two or three times a year staying at Ngweya at least once, sometimes in different camps or even camping.

If you are fortunate to have an Engles type fridge/freezer the "parks your oyster" becasue you can prepare several frozen meals before you leave.

Breakfast: to be different try making Eggs Benedict - use one of those Chinese gas cookers to poach your eggs, use Woolies' hollandaise sauce toast the buns on a skottle and use smoked trout/salmon or kassler ham - we have done this several times and have had compliments from many fellow breakfasters.

Lunch: "Sarel sammies" over the coals, toasted cheese, onion and tomato sandwiches or just biltong and dried fruit.

Dinner: any of your pre frozen meals - curry or chili con carne (always taste better several days older), beef guiness stew, chicken a la king or whatever takes your fancy. The braai/potjie still remain the best in the bush even if it's just for the atmosphere.

Plenty of good wine and good company - what a holiday!!

Cheers,

Pete Phillips

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:20 pm 

breakfast: you guys eat breakfast? hey there is wildlife to be seen, eat breakfast when you get home from holiday :lol:

lunch: i always take our left over braai stuff and make lunch the night before we go out the next morning. braai chicken = great chicken mayo sammies for the next day, beef braai, slice it put it in a container throw in the fridge, then on your way out the door in the morning pick it up and sometime during the day you have yourself a sammie. easy peasy.

dinner: amarula, amarula, amarula or wild turkey bourbon (sorry klippy lovers). we are veggie fanatics here so we always have frozen bags of veggies with us in the park. pap is great but it is not something i can bear eating for a week or more every night. i also make stuff like curry and the tomato braai then freeze it to take with when we go.

snacks: biltong and cashew nuts together are amazing! i know, maybe not the most healthy thing you can eat but hey you are on holiday :dance:
have fun though, very jealous of you! enjoy your trip!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next