Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Yummy dessert
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:01 pm 

I've read with interest the menu items people have suggested for braaing but one thing that we do in Canada for dessert is something called s'mores. After the fire is down to coals you toast marshmallows (skewering them on a long stick) to a golden brown then sandwich one between 2 graham wafers and add a piece of chocolate. Let it sit awhile to melt the chocolate and also to cool the marshmallow and voila! a yummy dessert. :D I've seen marshmallows in your stores but didn't notice graham wafers, but any type of sweet cracker would work. We'll be in Kruger in October so undoubtedly will be having this for dessert. I can hardly wait.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sounds really good and easy..., thank you :D :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:11 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Sounds lekker, must give it a try :)
We do braai marshmallows on skewers but usually just roll them in crushed Cadbury's flakes and eat them, also yummy.

Post subject: Condiments and recipes
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am not some one who spends too much time in the kitchen, but I do enjoy a tasty meal.
When I go with my family, I have a few "must takes" into Kruger. It makes my braai and sundowners just that much more interesting.
I often wonder how our overseas folks cope.
I also have one vegetarian in my family, so I have to be inventive there.
I would love others to add to this list or benefit from this list and a couple of easy recipes.

Condiments that make a difference
Mrs Balls chutney (must be Mrs Balls)
Nandos Perinase (I like the extra strong)
Sweet and sour gherkins
Bottled peppadews
onions and tomatoes
Tinned beans, peas and Chakalaka.
I also take putu pap and good washed potatoes.
Tin foil.
Box wine.

With these ingredients anything can be done.

Vegetarians options.
Meat is never an issue for carnivores. We
could even use road kill if desperate.
This is dedicated to non meat eaters, that is when meals become a challenge.

If possible I buy avos
A great meal is avo with pappadew and bread.

Bean or pea salad
a tin of bean, peas r lentils.
Nando's perinase
chopped cheese bought anywhere
chopped gherkins
finely chopped onions
chopped tomatoes

MM's spicy tomato sauce
Chop two tomatoes for one onion.
Add a tin of Chakalaka
a turn over of chutney
wine to taste
can be used with putu or braaied potatoes.

Braaied potatoes
Wrap in tin foil. Throw on braai about 45 minutes before braaing meat. Do the same with onions. Ignore and sip copious amounts of wine.
Take off braai and eat with garlic butter (if available) or Chakalaka.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:33 pm 

Oy, I can't wait!! I haven't been to Kruger in 5 years, so everything on my daily menu is probably on the extinct list!!

Breakfast of Rooibos tea and rusks eaten the moment we are awake enough to pour out of the vacumn flask without spilling - it is a signal to animals that they should now jump onto road and cause chaos in car. We don't stop for proper breakfast as the roads are empty when everyone else stops to braai!

Snack of biltong on the road, buffalo meat pie, gravy and a GREEN cream soda and ice cream float the moment we hit a camp or picnic site late morning. In Canada, cream soda is colorless, and in the UK it is pink and it just does not taste the same.

If staying overnight in camp (Orpen our favourite) rapidly (you don't want to waste time in camp) grab any available meat, any frozen veg, tho the cheap mixed veg works best and one large packet old fashioned soup mix, prefferably noodle, to suit meat i.e. chicken noodle for chicken, beef noodle for beef or lamb or mutton, and one large can baked beans from camp shop. Cheap cuts work REAL well as they have a lot of flavour. Now, read closely folks, it's a really complicated recipe. In the bottom of an old pot (the one you have been meaning to throw away, but it's lid still works and it goes in the oven), put a layer of veg, then a layer of meat, then a layer of beans, repeat till pot almost full or ingredients finished. Pour soup mix over top. Pour water (my mother said boiling, but I'm not fussy) into pot till ingredients covered. Do not stir. Cover with lid and put in old black camp oven - any temperature other than cold. Climb in car and do what you are meant to do in Kruger - find those animals! When you get back to camp, pour yourself a castle lager and ginger ale shandy and wander over to the camp kitchen. Poke at meat to check doneness. Decide on level of energy. If energetic, cook rice, otherwise use bread - any level of staleness is hidden by the food. (Generally the smell defeats the rice plan, because everyone is suddenly starving when they smell the food) Serve. This recipe freezes well, and you do not need any other condiments other than the four ingredients mentioned. It is great cold for breakfast, but if all the meat is gone, heat and add and egg on top.

No room for dessert, but I always find room for a small piece (not so small piece) of biltong or droe wors before bed!!

I will definitely be trying the tip of using tinned potatoes! Can't wait!! October 19th is just around the corner!!

Post subject: Re: Condiments and recipes
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

macho mouse wrote:
I am not some one who spends too much time in the kitchen, but I do enjoy a tasty meal.
I also have one vegetarian in my family, so I have to be inventive there.
I would love others to add to this list or benefit from this list and a couple of easy recipes.

Have you tried stuffed peppers, MM, they can be cooked on an open flame, and you can use many of the ingredients you take along.
Feta cheese(crumbled) or chopped cheese, tomato, onion, what ever you fancy placed in the halves of the pepper.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I love stuffed peppers, Bouf.
The yellow ones are sweetest.
Thing is, they just add to the evening... almost as well as a good wine.
almost...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Breakfast is normally coffee and toasted "braaibroodjies" from the previous evenings braai, in the car, early in the morning.

inbetween snacks will concist of billies, droewors, crisps and LOTS of ice cold water

Brunch MUST be a traditional, "worsie,spek en eiers" at a picnic-spot on the cadac.With a cold one to prepare yourself before eating, and another one when you light the cadac, and then a last one before hitting the road again.

Lunch doesnt happen everytime, but we normally like to stop at a restcamp and get a toasted sarmie.

Dinner will normally start off with a traditional beer or two when we arrive back at camp, whilst I'll start prepping the fire for the braai. The wife will normally dish-up something easy like a green salad, and the famous "braai broodjies". We normally make a couple extra, for the next mornings brekkie on the road.

Meat is a definite! We both like our red meat, so their is no way that a dinner will not include some form of meat.

We normally braai easy eating things like ribs, chicken wings, and make sure that we braai AT LEAST every second night a nice, juice, thick, lazy aged piece of Rump/Sirlion.

What I will normally do (The house belongs to the wife, but the kitchen is mine! I do all the cooking at home), when vacuuming the daily dinner meats, I make sure that they are marinated as well, insuring a tasty piece of meat at night on the hot coles

Try and keep things as minimalistic as possible, so that you don't wase precious nocternal game-viewing with washing dishes! :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi mgrantx
Many thanks for that great recipe. Yesterday i had an ostrich neck that i wanted to try a new recipe on and used yours but added garlic and onion as well. The soup mix was the dregs of a packet ox tail and brown onion and half a packet of chicken. (55 ks to the nearest super market so had to "do" with what was around). All of this i dumped into the slow cooker and 7 hours later had a delicious lunch. Thank goodness i was not in the park as i had to have a sleep after all that food. All you guys can try this recipe -- i can recommend it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It sounds really good.

I think we miss the magic of slow cooking.
My ever best is ox tail, cooked over 36 hours at a low temp.

You have no idea of the flavours and extacy.

Post subject: Re: Our menu
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:36 pm 

eladn wrote:
Braai with breezers (don't want to start a world war but I wasn't too fond of SA beers, I like Belgian, Scottish and Australian beers)

Windhoek is quite a good lager (but Namibian/German ;-) ) and Black Label is good too. Wine's are very good :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Amstel, but now its gone, :evil: so we started up with Heineken. But the favourite remains AMARULA. Image

Braai, nothing like watching the fire under the star-filled sky and listening to the bush.

Rolls with Simba chips on them for padkos. Fast, easy and filling.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Cool thread! :D

First thing in the morning

Coffee, sliced rusks (I don't do Oumas). When it's cold, hot chocolate is also uber yummy

Breakfast

Lite: yoghurt, cereals, juice

Full: eggs, bacon, mushrooms (SO only, the only fungi I ingest are the yeast in my Castle!), tomato, bread (fried, toasted, plain), occasionally sausages.

Lunch

Mix and match: last night's braai leftovers, cold meats, cheese, sliced tomato, bread / rolls, pickled onions, peppadews, hotdogs etc.

Kid-friendly: toasted sandwiches.... winner! Took our sandwich maker with on the last trip, bought a loaf of bread, made up cheese / ham toasties for the kids, we added tomato to the above to ours. Eat yourself dik, and have a few left over for kids to snack on during the afternoon or on game drive.

Dinner

Braai: again, we cater for kids first and foremost, so it's either chicken drumsticks or pork rashers, stuff they can eat without too much trouble, with some thin wors. For the adults we'll alternate the chicken with lamb chops or if we're feeling particularly flush, porterhouse or T-bone steaks. With this we'll do some potato (in jackets, or as salad, if we remembered to pack the mayo!), three-bean salad (easiest salad to make, ever: one tin baked beans, one tin butter beans, one tin green beans, lob the whole lot into a bowl, mix, done), bread or rolls.

Other: if we have a long drive from home and then have to do setup, say when we're camping, and we'll run out of time to do a fire and all the side stuff, we'll often pre-cook the first meal at home, for heating on the Cadac... Mince Mate is superb for this. Otherwise, some pasta (shells or fusilli, mixed with macaroni) and packet sauce, with some grated cheese, and Mexican spice, makes a perfectly acceptable light evening meal. We try to alternate our braai nights, so we're not ingesting huge volumes of red meat all the time.

Dop

Me: beer (not fussy, but Castle she numbah won!), red wine (Shiraz FTW).
SO: Amarula + XXXX, whisky and Sprite Zero, cold drinks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I would like to start the day with a serval then a caracal, followed by a pangolin.
Mid morning a pack of wild dogs would do.
For lunch, carmine bee eaters hunting would be nice.
Afternoon tea would be great at Letaba or Olifants seeing a leopard come down to drink.
Sundowners would be a narina trogon and Pel's fishing owl.
The Kudu steak braai and the Amarula coffee would complete a perfect day for me :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Now that's my kind of menu, BB! 8) :dance:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next