Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:01 pm 

Carmencheetah, if I fly on those aircraft, then you have no need to worry, as I am one of the very nervous passengers who tend to amuse the whole aircraft with my spontaneous remarks whenever we hit the tiniest bump, never mind take offs and landings. :roll:
But I always see it as a means to an end, getting to Kruger and I will put up with almost anything under those conditions. :D

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:50 pm 

Thanks sooo much everyone !

fannymays great info and wow what pictures! You make the flight sound soo easy and one thing for sure I will not enjoy every minute as you do - but I will try :hmz:

Elsa thanks for your comfort and you are soooo right - Kruger is my aim and I will do almost anything for that!

Simonb6 wow you wrote the manual - well maybe you are the one to tell me I will live to tell the tale lol.

Post subject: Skukuza Airport
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi guys,
We cant drive to Kruger this year, so my mom and I are considering flying over from Cape Town. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fly from Cape Town to Skukuza, if not we can always fly to Joburg international airport and from their fly to Skukuza.

I have searched but I mite of missed something, maby someone can give me a link to more info.

Any information regarding the flights will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:03 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi LS,

Here's some info:
Quote:
There are daily flights from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa Airport, Hoedspruit Airport and the new Kruger/Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA) located between Nelspruit and White River.
KMIA also receives daily flights from Durban and Cape Town, while there is also a flight from Cape Town to Hoedspruit.
The Skukuza Airfield, formerly used for daily commercial flights from Johannesburg is no longer open for commercial flights.
No aircraft may land at Skukuza or any other landing strip within the park without prior permission from the Park Director.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Advantages of KMIA: several cheap airlines fly into it.
Links to several other places in SA. Talk of (?already happening) direct flights from Europe.

Disadvantage: quite a way from the park, not the most convenient if you only want to visit central or northern areas.

Phalaborwa: I think only one airline flies into here so it is not cheap.
The airport is mostly for the mining industry - they try to push the tourist bit!
Talk of a cheap airline flying into here but as far as I know they have not yet got permission.
Having said that, very close to the park (Phalaborwa gate!) and excellent starting point for Olifants northwards.
Timing of flights not ideal - the second flight of the day arrives too late to get into the Park - but is ideal to fly back on.

Hoedspruit: not many flights - though from previous comments this seems to be increasing.
Fairly close to Orpen gate (Satara) and Phalaborwa 60 minutes.
Note this is a private airfield and they charge you to land there (before they let you drive out!)

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:44 pm 

I'm doing some "pre-planning" checks for a possible birding trip to Mozambique next year. We plan on spending a day or so in Kruger before we enter MOZ via Giriyondo.

I found that you can get to Nelspruit/KMP or Phalaborwa cheaper by flying 1Time to Oliver Thambo Int and then take the SAA Airlink flight to Nelspruit or Phalaborwa. You can save about R800 per return ticket compared to taking the direct flight from Cape Town.

I suggest you do some "shopping around" on the net leopardspotter. Just make sure when looking at the schedules that your allow enough time to get off the plain, check-in again and board.

Saving R1600 is worth the little extra effort in my book as you can then use it fo some nice activities in Kruger or some thing else

Post subject: Best way to Kruger from KMIA airport
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:14 pm 

I return to Kruger next June, this time from KMIA airport and a rented car.
Somebody can inform me about the closest (in time, not distance) gate ?
Better the short distance to Numbi but with populated areas to traverse or more far Malelane with maybe higher speed ?
No preference for the roads inside the park, just be there in the quickest time!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:52 am 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Hi acquavi,
You definately DO NOT have to go through Nelspruit.
If you do go through Nelspruit you are definitely going well out of your way.
If you opt to go through Numbi Gate, then turn right out of KMIA and follow the signs to WHITERIVER, you will make a few turns this way and that but it is sign posted and you will come in the back of Whiteriver, then just take the road to Hazyview and just outside White River the road turns off to Numbi Gate.

However I would opt for Malelane Gate, the road is much nicer and although might be further it would be my option.
Then you would turn left out of KMIA and just keep going till you hit a T Junction and you are on the N4 to Malelane.

Which ever way, enjoy.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Post subject: Connection Flights - Travel time etc
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:24 am 

We are flying from London to Joberg, with a scheduled landing of 9:15 AM (on a Sunday). I am trying to decide what time to book a flight to Kruger International. For those who fly in from afar, how much time do you give yourself to clear customs, run from the International to the National side of the airport, check in, run, etc???
Also, how do you compare flying Nationwide vs. SAA for the flight to Kruger? There is only one flight on Nationwide on Sunday and I am wondering what would happen if we were late. Also, do those flights often get cancelled???
If I book SAA, there is always another later flight, but it would mean not leaving until 1.
Once at Kruger International we have to pick up our rental car, get some food, and get to Biyamiti before 5:30.

Yeah, I know, I know....life IS tough, but I tend to get nervous when it comes to catching planes. No fears of flying, just catching. :D

Somewhere I read that there is now a good market in Malelane so I am thinking (hoping) we can avoid going in to Nelspruit. Can you get things like a cold box, fresh fruits and veggies, and meat there?????

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this forum and how very nice you people are??? I am sooooooooooo impressed. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Connection Flights - Travel time etc
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:34 pm 

iLoveMeerkats! wrote:
Somewhere I read that there is now a good market in Malelane so I am thinking (hoping) we can avoid going in to Nelspruit. Can you get things like a cold box, fresh fruits and veggies, and meat there?????

There is a very good and large Spar supermarket in Malelane, which have everything you will require, we have used it before and found it perfectedly fine.

:D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:23 am 

iLoveMeerkats! wrote:
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from the shopping area at Malelane to the Malelane camp?

If I remember correctly, it takes approx. 15 to 20 minutes, driving time, plus the time taken to get through the Malelane entrance gate.

Post subject: Directions from Numbi Gate to KMIA?
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Can someone please confirm/advise on the best route from Numbi Gate to KMIA and perhaps also how long this drive should take?
From the map I have it looks like the 569 road from the gate meets up with the 538, which goes to KMIA.
Does the 538 go through White River, or does it go around the town?

Last edited by arks on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Numbi Gate to KMIA
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:22 pm 

arks wrote:

The road goes into White River Arks, and the Pick & Pay centre is quite handy there if you need to stock up on any provisions first.
Then just follow the Numbi Gate signposts carefully and you shouldn't have a problem.
If I remember correctly the whole trip to the gate takes around 45 minutes. :D

Post subject: Re: Numbi Gate to KMIA
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Elsa wrote:
arks wrote:

The road goes into White River Arks, and the Pick & Pay centre is quite handy there if you need to stock up on any provisions first.
Then just follow the Numbi Gate signposts carefully and you shouldn't have a problem.
If I remember correctly the whole trip to the gate takes around 45 minutes. :D

Thanks Elsa, that's the info I needed. However, I'm heading TO KMIA, not from, so won't need the PnP. Is KMIA well signposted in that direction going from KNP/Witrivier?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:47 pm 

Arks, from what I recall doing the route to and from twice in February this year, it is easier to go from Numbi to KMIA.
It was sign posted.
We just found it slow going, and took us an hour at least.
The return route is sign posted so it does not take one through White River, so takes a bit less time to do.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next