Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: kids in kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Always the kids and malaria debate! My friend stayed away from KNP since she got pregnant until now... the kid is 4 years old. We're talking serious withdrawal symptoms here! :lol: So I convinced her to call the pediatrician for advice... his words: "The experience is too valuable to the child to not take her!" and "Take the child, take some sensible precautions, and I'll prescribe save prophylaxis". Needless to say, the trip is booked...

Of course, if everyone did what Wildtuinman advises, childfree me could have looked forward to blissfully childfree holidays as well :hmz: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :tongue:

Now, back to the original question. While I love the northern parts of Kruger, the picnic spots are few and far in between, the vegetation monotonous, and the best part of the wildlife is the bird life! So, I suggest you stay south, where there are more animals, more places for pitstops, and larger, more child-friendly camps. It is probably also a good thing that you are not allowed get out of the car on the southern bridges like on most of the northern bridges... so less chance for the child to get him/herself into trouble.... Allow play and running time at camps and picnic spots, play games with the kids, such as: "first one to spot a ....., gets a .....", and with really young kids (<5 or 6 yrs), I'd say, take a portable DVD player along so that they can watch their favourite cartoons in the evenings (only inside the bungalows! - we don't want the mozzies to get to them or the neighbours to complain...), so that the parents can get some rest too :tongue: -- board games work well for older kids. (O yes, and close the windows when your at a predator or baboon sighting... young children loose in the back of a car are very attractive prey...)

:whistle:

Last edited by Dabchick on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have cancelled one holiday in Kruger and that was due to pregnancy.

I do understand Wildtuinman's concern, but September is a low risk month and the Park is very dry.

I think Pretorius Kop is one of the lowest risk camps, if I remember correctly. It also has a lovely pool with lots of place to run for little people.

When my children were very young, the biggest problem we had was getting them to take the meds. It was bitter, horrible and often came straight back up. Because of the change in maleria sensitivity, other meds are now given. In those days it was Cloroquin.

Doxy tabs, as we call them, do have side effects. Never to be taken on an empty stomach and to be cautious about the sun. They do increase sun sensitivity.

Swimming pools are essential. Breaking for swims was always an important part of the day. Even September can bring sweltering hot days.

Vitamin B, thiamine has been shown to be an effective repellant and it also seems to reduce the intensity of the illness, if infected. It is worth giving some extra.

Sweat attracts mozzies, so again, swims and cool baths will help.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
MM, Pretoriuskop might be saved by altitude, but I am always worried about Pretoriuskop and Punda Maria because of their higher rainfall which creates suitable breeding habitats for mosquitoes.

One of the high risk places to get bitten are in communal bathrooms. It is a magnificent hiding place for mosquitoes and it is also the place where you are at your most vulnerable, without clothes and without mosquito repellant.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:55 am 

I have two children, our first went to kruger at 4 months old and has been 3 times since, and our second went last year for the first time at 6 months with our oldest having just turned 2.
When we returned home our oldest had suspected malaria...and although it turned out after tests that it was not, it was a very scary time...however we are returning again in November :)
Don't be put off. Just make sure you take the correct precautions, stop at picnic spots to let them stretch their legs, get them their own binos, map, books etc, get some snap cards and get them to chhose the card of the animal they can see etc...just make it fun and enjoy the amazing experience with your kids!

2 Nights Bergendal
3 Nights Pretoriuskop
1 EXTRA night Skukuza

3 nights sabie river bungalows

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Doxycycline IS prescribed as a chemoprophylaxis for malaria prevention.

See here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/malaria.htm
or: http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/tables.htm
or:http://www.malariasite.com/malaria/Prophylaxis.htm

Use of other types of antibiotics not recognised as a preventative measure against malaria is not advised. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Any children activities in camps?
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:46 pm 

Hi to all wildlife lovers..
As I am travelling with my 5 1/2 year old son to Kruger for 3 weeks, I would like to know whether there are some children playgrounds or any interesting activities in any camps to liven up long stay in park for a child?
Thank you and have a nice day WD

Post subject: Re: Any children activities in camps?
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:38 pm 

Hi!

The shops also have a big selection of books, toys and games for kids. So you could buy your son his own kiddies book about kruger and he can look up the animals you see.
Teaching kids about the bush and wildlife is so much fun!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I found a fun thing to do was to make an album. After a drive we would go and see if we could find any post cards of the animals seen and stick them in with the names of the different animals.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:32 am 

Thanks for good news :) I have never seen any public children playground anywhere in South Africa, but I was there just many years ago 2003 and 2006

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi wilddog.prg,
Most of the camps you have booked at have a swimming pool.
At Berg en Dal you will find the pool to be child friendly and certain areas not to deep for them to play him. What I liked about Berg en Dal is the walking trail around the camp tha'ts on the inside of the fence.
There are a lot of interactive display for the kids to look at and you will find a small jungle gym near reception for the children to play on.
Just reminder do not let them walk on their own or after dark.
A leopard have been seen frequently near the fence.

Letaba is also great for kids and during holiday they have treasure hunts and other activities.
The elephant museum is a must to visit.
The school holiday is from 29 Sept - 7 October so you might be at that time at Letaba.

Punda Maria does not have too many activities, but there is a walking trail and swimming plus bird hide.
My child visited the hides from a young age and maybe not always quiet, but often not as loud as some adults.
The camps are not child friendly and a snake might be hiding in a tree or bush, therefore when they want to go for a walk always go along.

My child is again a curio freak and we started off buying a soft animal toy during each visit resulting in a zoo of animals at home.
There is a Kruger Passport you can buy (saw it at Afsaal) where you mark off the camps you have visited and if not wrong you can add other info like sightings.
The five year old might be a bit young for it, but get one for yourself.
We found a lovely activity book for kids in Kgalagadi and I am sure you will find something similar in Kruger.

Also try to planning visits to picnic areas where possible so that you can get out of the car more often and even hides are nice places to stop to show kids whats happening around them well staying in one place and not driving around.

Great stops are Pafuri, Babalala and Kaniedood hide far north, Shipandani and Mooiplaas near Mopani, etc.

Buy a Kruger map when you arrive and you will know where to find all these spots and more.

Post subject: New parents in the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:12 am 

Hi guys,

Let me state very quickly that this isn't a topic to moan about kids or have a "go" about children in the KNP. This is a topic to help me learn as to when is the best time to take a child, what age is the best age and what camps are the best to stay in the KNP.

I have been going to the Kruger since before I can remember and go religiously 3times a year, but my wife and I are now expecting our first child (which ironically was conceived in the park :redface: ) and this now opens a whole new experience for us. We are really excited to see the KNP through her eyes as she will create a whole new world for us. We realize that this wont happen when she is first born but over time.

But since my wife and I are new to this I really would appreciate constructive and informative comments from parents on the forum who have had experience with this and can educate a father-to-be with their wisdom.

Post subject: Re: New parents in the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Congratulations on your soon to be born girl! I hope you are planning to name her Sabie or perhaps a similar Kruger-related name?!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Schooms, how wonderful :D congratulations.

You are going to get all kinds of advice. My concern would be maleria. I would sterr clear of high malaria seasons until you can take the proper precautions for the little one.

When my children were very young, Skuks was probably our favourite camp. Lets see what other mites say.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Schooms, you may miss you wife for the first few trips, but it does get better, just hang in there. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:49 am 

Schooms, when my wife was expecting our 2nd child we wanted to go to the park and our doctor recommended that we stay away from the malaria areas while she is pregnant, congrats on the baby and by the way my 2nd child was also concieved in the Kruger at Shingwedzi which is awesome.

The first time we took our 2 boys to the Kruger, our oldest was 3 and our youngest was 2, this is very young for the kids but they seemed to enjoy it a lot. We found that they were not really a problem for other campers and did not bother anybody.

the only slight problem was that we went to Shingwedzi and Letaba with our caravan in december and the heat at times was maybe a little to much for them although they absolutely loved the swimming pools at both camps.

We also made a effort not to drive around all day every day as they used to get tired and miserable if they were stuck in a car all day so we tended to spend a lot of time in the camps and drove around early morning and late afternoon.

The boys are now 8 and 7 years old and we are taking them to Shingwedzi this December and I am really excited to see how they react to the animal sightings as they are now old enough to really enjoy and appreciate that part of the world, they are looking so forward to it and are already nagging me to go. I remember going as a kid and I loved every minute of my trips with my parents there.

I think kids should go from a young age so that they can learn to preserve and appreciate what we have because it might not be there one day. It is by far the best place in the world. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next