Skip to Content

Best Route to/from Kruger via Swaziland

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Re: Best Route to Kruger via Swaziland

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:29 pm

We have actually just done the stop/goes twice!!
went through all 4 of them and then due to our cars battery becoming more and more dodgy decided to turn around and attempt to return to Komatipoort so went through them again and I don't think we had more than a 5 minute delay and others we were able to drive straight through.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Best Route to Kruger via Swaziland

Unread postby kite » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks Elsa and Bornfree!

Eiger

Durban-Mkuze-Malelane

Unread postby Eiger » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Which is the best route through Swaziland to the KNP? Can we make it in one day to Malelane and enter the park the next day? Thanks for your help!

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Durban-Mkuze-Malelane

Unread postby Hugh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Hello there . If you were leaving Durban it will take about 8 hours travel via Swaziland so you will easily get into the park at latest three if you left early . But it seems you are coming from Mkuze so it will be at least three hours quicker .. even if you travel slowly and leave early you should be in the park by lunch time
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

RogerFraser

Re: Best Route to/from Kruger via Swaziland

Unread postby RogerFraser » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi all

I am trying to plan a route through Swaziland without going through Siteki potholes .I will be pulling a caravan and after doing the route with a trailer in April I am not keen to do the potholes with a caravan . As far as I can see on Google Maps if I stay on the MR8 then go onto the MR3 round it and back onto the MR8 and then the MR24 I will bypass the section .Has anyone else tried to avoid the potholes what is the state of the other roads ?
Camping...

Always planning the next trip......
~ Nothing exists for itself alone, but only in relation to other forms of life ~ Charles Darwin

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:33 am

Hi Roger,
I think the route you are describing is one we tried in June last year.
Unfortunately the map I have doesn't have road numbers on it but if its the one that takes you almost to Manzini and past Mpaka that is correct.
As I recall the road surface was fine up to where you turn off towards Mpaka and then was OK, they were working on it so hopefully by now it will also be good.
But expect to do much more mileage than via the Siteki section.
My son did the Siteki road and waited a good 30 to 40 minutes for us at the join.
In fact if I add up the mileage from my map, the round route is +-108kms compared to about 38 the short route.

RogerFraser

Unread postby RogerFraser » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Elsa

Great thanx for confirming . Yes it is the one where you nearly are at Manzini . I would rather go around that try the potholes with a caravan I dont mind a little bit longer trip as long as its not an 18 Hour ordeal I had on the N11 stop goes about three years ago .I swore never to even attempt that route again until every roadwork was done .

I will go the Siteki road if someone who has been recently can confirm there has been any changes to the road conditions.
Camping...

~ Nothing exists for itself alone, but only in relation to other forms of life ~ Charles Darwin

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:10 am

Not sure when you are planning on going but we will be doing the trip in mid Feb.

Sparrow
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Sparrow » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi Roger
A mate of mine does work in Swazi and we also used to do the Big Bend Siteki road in the past.

He however advises that there are now more craters than potholes and tar and with the rain they have had its almost impossible for the raods department to keep up with repairs.

Going to Shingwedzi this year via Phala and doing the Pongola, Barberton Nelspruit route.
Russel G

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

13/12/15 Satara
14/12/15 Sable Hide
15/12 to 20/12/15 Satara
21/12/15 Lower Sabie
27/02/16 to 01/03/16 Satara
02/03/16 to 05/03/16 Skukuza Cricket.

RogerFraser

Unread postby RogerFraser » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi Sparrow

Thanx for the reply .Am considering changing and going round as well .Have done the Vreiheid Barberton road with a caravan before ,road was not too bad going up .At the time there was Major roadworks on the N2 thats why we went that way .
Camping...

Goggabie

Unread postby Goggabie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:04 pm

We will be traveling from Crocodile Bridge via Swaziland to the north coast of KZN on Sunday, 14 Desember.
1. Roadwork and Stop/Go near Komatipoort still in use?
2. Potholes and road condition between Siteki and Big Bend?
3. The alternative route: Mpaka, Mafutseni, sipofaneni? In what condition?
4. To go round Swaziland from Crocodile Bridge can someone recommend the best route?

We have never used the route through Swaziland and did all the research, but recent reports tell of serious potholes between Siteki and Big Bend. A few years back (3) the roads in the vicinity of PietRetief and Pongola were all difficult to negotiate because of extensive roadworks.

Thank you

Sparrow
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Sparrow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:06 pm

My mate has just returned from Swazi and he tells me that that stretch of dirt being 35 kms between Siteki and Big Bend was travelled at an average of 40 kms per hour without a caravan.
Russel G

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

13/12/15 Satara
14/12/15 Sable Hide
15/12 to 20/12/15 Satara
21/12/15 Lower Sabie
27/02/16 to 01/03/16 Satara
02/03/16 to 05/03/16 Skukuza Cricket.

mh330

Unread postby mh330 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi all -- planning to drive from JNB through Swaziland on to Hoedspruit. Any suggestions on ideal route? Thinking N17 east from JNB and then R40 north through Nelspruit. Border crossing would be Oshoek.

Any issues or concerns with this route? Also, any suggestions on where to stop in Swaziland? Really just going through there for a little adventure. :)

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi mh330, welcome to the forum.

Interesting route indeed. Sorry but I can't be much more help than that.

If you are going to be getting an International Wild Card - there are some Swazi parks where you can use it to offset the conservation fees, might be worth having a look at.

Plea to others - discussing the route here is OK but please PM non-SANParks specific accommodation recommendations :lol:
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

RogerFraser

Unread postby RogerFraser » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi Sparrow

Got back from Park yesterday .We went round there and back Piet Retief ,Amsterdam ,Barberton and Malelane .Found the roads in good nick all round .We met friends of my Daughter in the park and they came through Swaziland with a caravan and said it appeared there has been some repairs done to potholes since their last trip a year ago so we may well go through next time as it is definitely a shorter flatter route .
Camping...

Return to “Kruger National Park”