Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Plans for August 2015 - Advice much appreciated
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 pm 

Dear forumites,
My family of 4 (3 adults, 1 teenager) is currently planning another trip to KNP in August 2015 (been there in 1995, 2002 and 2011). We want to spend 8 nights in the park - 3 in Skukuza, 3 in Letaba and 2 in Lower Sabie. We've got a couple of questions and would really appreciate the opinion and suggestions of experienced forumites. Here we go:

- We plan to stay in 4-bed safari tents in Skukuza and Letaba but are not really sure about Lower Sabie. In 2011 we had 2 safari tents, which we really enjoyed although we couldn't get the river view ones. We've heard that the tents are not in a very good condition right now, so we're wondering if we should try to get one of the river view family units, although there seem to be only two of them so our chances are pretty slim anyway ... What do you think?

- If we understand the rules correctly, bookings for August 2015 should open on September 1. Is this true for all booking methods, i.e. online as well as e-mail/phone? And what booking method would you recommend - online or should I call at 7.30 on September 1 (quite expensive from Germany ...) or send an e-mail? In 2011 we sent an e-mail on the second day of the month in which bookings opened and did not get our first choice accommodation, so I really want to make sure we get in touch with reservations earlier this time.

- We've never done any activities in the more northern parts of the park, so what is your opinion on morning walks and sunset drives from Letaba? We thought that Olifants river might provide a great setting for interesting drives/walks ... Any experiences? Our sunset drive from LS wasn't really great, we did enjoy the morning walk from Skukuza, though.

Thank you so much in advance for your help :clap:

Post subject: Re: Plans for August 2015 - Advice much appreciated
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thalie, I am not sure when in August you are wanting to go. If it is early August be aware that the Skukuza half marathon takes place then and it is very busy. I usually advise people to keep away from that area if at all possible on the first weekend. Letaba would be fine though.

I hope that the safari tents at Lower Sabie are rennovated by then, but the bungalows are really very lovely.

This might help in terms of advice about booking.

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=74&t=80484

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:15 am 

Thank you, Meandering Mouse!
We plan to be in the park from August 15 to 23, by then we should no longer be affected by the marathon...?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
You should be fine. The marathon is always the first Saturday in August and I think it must be the busiest day in the Park.

Good luck with your bookings. :thumbs_up:

I must say that the tents are by far my favorite accommodation.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:06 am 

I think so, too, we absolutely loved them. They make you feel so much closer to nature.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:56 pm 

Thalie, we are also thinking of 14-22 Aug 2015 for our stay, could someone confirm if there are any controlled burns etc that normally happy during that period that would impact a stay during that period ?