SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Car problems, flat tyres
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:27 pm 

My dad was an honorary ranger.
He was one of the first 9.
It was in the early eighties.
He left the spare wheel in camp (Skukuza) that morning for some unknown reason.
Then, he took a road which states 'no entry' and said he was allowed to go on it just to check if all is ok.
We came across some young people throwing oranges and irritating an ellie.
My dad tried to catch up to them as they quickly took off when we arrived on the 'scene'.
The ellie was so mad and promptly chased us instead!
Just after 'losing' the ellie, we got a flat.
My dad then instructed my brother who at the time was only 17 at the time to take a knife and walk to the main road to 'flag' down any vehicle for assistance.
He wouldn't of course and dad decided to drive with wheel as is.
We were way past Tshokwane at the time and still had some way to drive to camp (Skukuza).
The guy at Tshokwane wrote a note and told us to switch off lights in main road if encountering any animals in road.
It was scary to drive through the Park in the dark.
We eventually got to the gate and once inside my dad found that a hyena had been chewing on the spare wheel.
We arrived way after 10pm.
Phew! Those were the days.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Flat Tyres!!!
We are the experts.. somehow everytime we travel to a game reserve we have a flat tyre or two or maybe three.
The first time we had a flat, the tyre was stripped so it had to be changed.
and it took a long time as we weren't sure where everything was but now after at least 10 in Kruger alone we have it down to a fine art.
Puncture.. Check ashtray for allan key .
Look outside and see if there is anything moving..
I slip out my side and undo the hubcap with the allan key while the SO removes the spare from under the Venture..
I in the meantime take out the jack and the Sasol bird book ( very Important)
We then undo the nuts and pump up jack with birdbook underneath as the Jack is too short.
Check if anything is moving in the bush ..twice
Remove flat and replace with spare.
Throw flat in back of van and tighten nuts ..time taken less than 10 minutes.
We have even driven to Komatipoort to replace all tyres with "Commercial " tyres and some how we have had a flat .. ( we always carry two spare tyres with us and we have used both.
We are two old pensioners and drive very sedately.....

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A tip I would like to share.

When you are travelling to the park, your car tyres are I would presume inflated for a heavier load (ave 220kpa or sometimes more?)
When you arrive at the park, deflate them a little (within specified limits for your car of course).

An overhard tyre going over a sharp stone/object will puncture a lot easier than a softer tyre which can 'mould' itself over the stone/object, especially the wider tyres.

Food for thought.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Senyetse wrote:
I've got a small 12 v compressor and tyre repair kit in my car. I also feel very uneasy driving around with no spare.

Why no spare?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Why no spare wheel ?
Some crafty manufacturers make cars without sparewheels , they supply the car with these double the price runflat tyres , with it you get a tin of puncture repair goo and a compressor .
Usually sufficient , unless the tyre is very badly dmaged .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Over and above Ndloti's comment (where manufacturers are now providing an "emergency" wheel only - or a repair kit) the original comment was a statement that once you have a puncture you no longer have a spare. :big_eyes:

When I'm bush here in my own vehicle I carry two spares, a puncture repair kit and a compressor.
This is tough to organise when traveling and I take what I can get but this time I am definitely getting a repair kit and compressor.

In my previous life traveling in SA and Botswana I ALWAYS carried tyre irons, major repair kit, 2 spare tubes and a large footpump and compressor.
Driving from Selebi Phikwe to Maun on one occasion I had 3 punctures going and 4 coming back.
Back then this was not an extensively traveled road at that time of year and I would have been really stuffed without the gear!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:07 am 

The gearstick snapped off in our Series III land rover in Kruger a couple of years ago.
This, as I have learned, is a common problem in old landies.

I'd only ever had good experiences with the breakdown services in the park in the past, but when I called the emergency number listed on the park permit for the new service I had a very frustrating time.

I was put through to an operator in Pretoria or Joburg or somewhere and try as I might I could not explain to her where Skukuza or Pretoriuskop were (I was half way between the two camps).
She didn't have a map of the Kruger on her computer, apparently.

I gave up, got a pair of cheap vice grips out of my tool box, managed (eventually) to attach them to the tiny nub that was left where my gearstick had been - rammed the truck into 2nd and drove to Pretoriuskop at 10kph.

The workshop manager at Pretoriuskop had a welding machine, but no one who knew how to use it (I didn't know either).
Eventually a mechanic friend from White River drove out to the park two days later and fixed it!!!

I hope the breakdown service operators are better prepared these days.

Post subject: Re: BREAKDOWN IN THE PARK
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:57 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

And if like me you travel alone, wait for another car to come along so there is someone to keep watch.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:18 pm 

I know somebody who was unfortunate enough to get stuck in a pool of water on a dirt road one afternoon. Unfortunately as it was getting late and nobody came by and they had no cell-phone reception.
He did try to free the car from the mud but to no avail.
All he managed to do was get himself and his partner covered in mud!
They were not too far from camp but it was getting dark, so a walk to the main road was out of the question!! They spent the night in the car, cold and wet from the mud, with biscuits and beer as their only food and beverage.
In the middle of the night they were woken by an elephant that was drinking from the same pool of water that they were stuck in!!

The next morning they waited and waited for somebody to come by but nobody ever did.
He then decided to take a walk back to the main road (about a kilometer or so) and found that the road had been closed.
After they had driven onto the dirt road the previous evening, it must have been closed due to the heavy rain.
He managed to wave down a car and get a lift with them back to camp to get help.

What would you have done in that situation???
If they had decided to wait in the car for somebody, it may have been a day or two that they were stuck before a park official discovered them!

Olifants - 4 nights
Biyamiti - 3 nights
Skukuza - 3 nights

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:07 pm 

This is something that I've always wondered about.
If you go out and get into some kind of trouble and cannot get back to camp, it will only come to light that you are missing I suppose once your family at home start wondering where you are, I mean, the park or the camp you are staying in at that moment obviously does not keep track of who leaves the camp and don't return. Another question I think of is if you accidentally were to drive into one of these dirt roads that clearly states 'no entry' - how often does rangers or whomever go on that road to check it out and for what reason are those roads marked 'no entry' anyway?
Is it just for fire prevention?
I went on a tour bus once - slept outside Kruger in some lodge and the next day up early to go into Phalaborwa gate, not long after entering the bus driver decided to take one of the short (in Afrikaans we call it 'inham' road) and got stuck (apparently he was NOT supposed to go on this road).
We were stuck there from 10am until 2pm in the hot sun with hardly any food and water.
At 2pm someone came past and they said they will report the incident at the gate.
At around 4pm a ranger with his bakkie and a dog on the back of it pulled this bus out of a dip where it was stuck.
After we thanked the ranger, got on the main road, traveled for about 5 minutes the bus just died - no petrol.
The driver left it on all this time to keep the elderly cool in the bus.
It was now getting dark.
At around 7 pm someone came past and alerted someone at the gate.
At around 8pm a tractor with trailer came past, picked some of us up in turns until we were all back at the lodge at around 10pm!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
This all goes to show that even when going out on a trivial drive, you should take A LOT MORE food and drink than you need. Under sod's law, that will probably ensure you get back to camp safely.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:33 pm 

Had a flat in November 2008 whilst driving from Satara about 12 kms to Tshokwane on some dirt road.
Was with SO and 2 infants who were all asleep. (we had been driving since sunrise and the midday sun took it's toll).
Was contemplating stopping, but chances were that 18 month old would have gotten up in the midday sun and created a real commotion.
So drove on rather gingerly and managed to change tyre at the Tshokwane picnic spot.
Luckily for me no damage to wheel rim but tyre had to be thrown.

Roads were rather quiet and changing the tyre was risky especially since I had nobody alert enough to look over me. :hmz:

2014 Kgalagadi
21/04/2014 to 23/04/2014 - Rooiputs
24/04 to 26/04 Mata Mata
26/04 to 29/04 Nossob
29/04 to 01/05 -Kalahari Tented Camp

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:30 pm 

Much safer to change a tyre inside the park than it is outside the park! No doubt the same applies if circumstances force one to spend the night in a car.

Post subject: Re: Beakdowns, car problems, flat tyres
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:14 pm 

That's what's so nice about camping.
When you pitch your tent you always make friends with the neighbours and have a chat about the park and what you saw.
If you not back after the gates close, they will know something is wrong and report it.
If you aren't camping it will be a problem.

Post subject: Re: Breakdowns, car problems, flat tyres
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On our 2008 trip we were in a borrowed vehicle that was supposed to have a puncture repair kit and compressor in it.
We managed to get two punctures - and no gear available :big_eyes:

The first was a slow puncture on the way into Shingwedzi so did not have to stop.
Changed the wheel in camp in the morning and the garage fixed the puncture for us.
The second we were stopped on the S106 and went over a devil thorns and had an instant flat - not a car in sight.
Not the first time I've had to change a tyre in the bush so got straight to it asking the SO to keep her eyes open.
After getting the tyre out from under the bakkie I looked up and the SO was busy watching a couple of nesting vultures in a tree :big_eyes: :wall:
After some serious words including a line about backside being bitten :wink:
I eventually got the tyre changed and managed to get back to Shingwedzi without another puncture.

This year - went out and bought a decent compressor and tyre repair kit - not a puncture happened :doh:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next