Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Breakdowns, car problems, flat tyres
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 pm 

Thanks Sheenaugh-Lee. Actually, we won't be going to Nelspruit. We head straight from the airport to Malelane and do all of our shopping there. I am wondering if there is a place in Malelane where I might find a can or two.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Malelane has a Midas on the same side of the road as Pick and Pay, and quite a few tyre repair outlets in the same area, so you will definitely get something there.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject: Breakdown with electronic problem
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:01 am 

We broke down between Letaba and Satara on a public holiday.
Towed to Satara camp where we were fortunately staying for 5 days.
Suspected an electronic problem causing no fuel to get through, but had a big struggle finding someone willing and who had the diagnostic machine required to come out to Satara.
Roadside assistance near Letaba as well as the autoelec in Skukuza has no machine to diagnose problems.
As so many cars today are filled to the brim with electronic components, that seemed very odd.
Hoedspruit autoelec was not willing to come out, mechanics on call wanted more than R4000 just to come to Satara!
Finally found Jaques Mouton from K & S autoelec in Phalaborwa that was willing to really go the extra mile (literally) to help.
We were so grateful that through his help we were able to continue our long awaited holiday!
Wanted to post this as there was very little info available here when we broke down and though the staff at Satara was Very kind and did their best to assist, it seems that if you have an electronic problem everyone just wants to tow you at great expense and then you are left with no vehicle to enjoy fabulous Kruger!

Post subject: Getting a flat wheel - what to do???
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:05 pm 

Hi

I have been pondering on what the best steps are to follow when you get a flat wheel in the Kruger Park. I've not seen any rules mentioning this scenario except that you are not allowed to get out of your car.

So what do you do? The worst case is that you have less than an hour to get to the camp and you are driving on a road with no traffic and there is no cell phone signal. Then the unexpected happens. Bang - a flat. (A few years ago, young lions near Satara loved biting cars tyres) Eish.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Anton

Post subject: Re: Getting a flat wheel - what to do???
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:28 pm 

Antong, just get out and change the wheel. What else can one do?

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:39 pm 

We had the misfortune of a flat on the Punda to Shingwedzi road, this trip just finished.

It was too far to limp to Babalala the closest get out point. So we scanned the area for a few minutes, read the manual and then proceeded to change the tyre (one of us keeping a constant watch and listen and making noise any animals would hear). It was around 15 minutes before the first vehicle arrived. He helped keep watch and sped up the task.

Anyway ... the key point I wanted to make was something I then learned. We only get one spare with our hire car, and that was used up! Happily, Shingwedzi have a vehicle workshop and were happy to fix the puncture in our (now) flat spare ... it took about 10 minutes the next day. We simply went to the petrol station and the attendant gave us directions to the workshop. It was such a relief to have a viable spare again!!

Post subject: Vehicle trouble
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:29 pm 

I am not sure where this should be placed
Today my wife asked a question of me and I didn't know how to answer it.
She asked what do you do if you get a flat tyre of car break down in the park.
You can't just stop get out and open the boot to start the repairs.
What is the procedure?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:53 am 

Had a flat in Letaba camp luckily, so easy to take care. Had the tyre repaired in the staff village of Olifants. Great service there.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:44 pm 

I would either wait for another car to keep watch for me or ask my wife (or whoever) to keep a very beady eye out for me while I changed the tyre !!!

I'm sure it would be done pretty fast as well !!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:27 pm 

We had a puncture in the KTP in a hire car.(Nissan 4x4).
I changed the wheel,while my wife kept lookout but found that the spare had no tread on it.When we got to Nossob I asked if the original could be repaired,but it was useless because it also had no tread left and had split!
As we were going up to Grootkolk we luckily borrowed a spare from a trailer in camp.
We then dropped it off at Nossob on the way back,but had to drive to Uppington with no spare,where I bought a new tyre.
I managed to get a refund from the hire company at Jo'berg airport,but they we unconcerned about the state off the tyres.Needless to say I have learnt several lessons.
1. Not to use that company again.!
2.No matter how tired you are after an overnight flight,check all tyres,including the spare,and all the tools are present.
The laws regarding tyres do not seem to be as stringent in SA as they are in the UK and it seems as though the tyres are used until they are virtually bald.
My friend also had a puncture just after he had driven past a "Highjacking Hotspot" sign on the motorway!
Needless to say the wheel was changed in super fast time but the spare was one of those temporary things,so he had a slow 60kph drive to the Kruger,then the next day he went to the depot in Nelspruit and got a proper spare.
To overseas visitors,check your tyres!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I have said many times that it is a disgrace that motor companies, and prestigious ones at that, compromise your safety for a few centimetres of space, by giving an inferior spare.

Bald spares on the other hand, are a disgrace to the hire company, who should be named so that forumites can make informed decisions.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:45 pm 

This is a fun thread!
Thought I'd share my personal experience.

We had been driving a long long time and my wife's high water mark was almost reached. We got to the pick nick spot. The map said it had toilets. There were none. Forgot exactly where it was. Somewhere not far from Moz border.

We decided to drive on, see if we could make it to the next toilets (a rest camp). About 30 minutes later we hear a loud "CLING!" My wife said "that was a big rock". And I said "that didn't sound like a rock at all". Luckily I looked in my rear view mirror; my spare tyre had come off from the back of the car! (this was a rental 4x4 double cab bakkie)

So I drive back a bit, look around carefully, hop out, throw the tire into the booth (luckily the vehicle was unequipped - we had rented bungalows), and got back in the car. Then I noticed my wife was gone and her door was open. Huh?

She had just opened both doors on her side, for a bit of privacy, to have a quick whizz. She couldn't hold it any longer. As I said; this was a long road next to Moz border. Not very popular I think. We hadn't seen anyone in at least an hour. So it wasn't exactly the worst decision. But she did scare me for a second.

The number 2 done, I started the car, drove 50m further around a corner, and ran into three big male lions lying next to the road. I must have been almost on top of them when I looked into my rear view mirror and reversed the car. They must have been looking at us the whole time.

We can laugh with it now, and make plenty of jokes about it. Like "lions enter their way into a prey via the softest parts, you know that right?" . But at that moment we were quite spooked.

Here's one of the males;

http://safaris.marulacamp.com/temp/ST/SA2014/225.jpg
(sorry pic is a bit too big to add to thread, so I decided to link to it)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Heard a strange sound coming from the front end of car :hmz: stuck my head out the window :big_eyes: flat tyre :roll:
And on closer inspection I discovered it was not that bad because the tyre was only flat on the bottomImage
What a relief

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8