Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:48 pm 

I too miss the old days, eating at the old style restaurants with their delicious meals, friendly service and real Kruger atmosphere and of course, the drum call at meal times.

Having said that.......I am really excited about all the new restaurants opening up. :dance: :dance: I travel alone and spend most of my day out of camp, so it will be a real treat to, once again, have a decent affordable meal available on the nights I don't feel like cooking..........which will definitely be more often now. :D :D

Well done Sanparks!

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Last edited by Mauxie on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:20 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Another point is that each venue has been awarded separately. So if one restaurant fails to maintain the standards that restaurant may be penalised or even closed and replaced with another operator. Previously one large multi-national ran all the restaurants and very little could be done to address problems if they were not interested.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:31 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I'm still dreaming about that Mugg & Bean Chicken and Avo Wrap at Letaba, while looking out over the river bed..............roll on March!!!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

As Carol said, all camps currently have a restaurant, so the buildings are already there.
Whether it's a Wooden Banana, a Wimpy, a Mugg & Bean or a Cattle Baron, should make no difference, other than the food will be better than is currently being offered!!!

Each franchise will have it's own indoor décor, menus etc, but it is my understanding that the outside areas have to be in keeping with the park, so there will be no flashing neon signs!!!!

This a done deal, so no amount of negativity will alter things.

Please lets give them a chance, and if people really object to these changes, they have the option to stay away. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 pm 

Dabchick wrote:
I never understand H. e.'s posts, but I think this time he is referring to Punda, Shingwedzi & Mopani (these camp names have been left out of the quote) seemingly being "neglected" -- by not getting new restaurants....

Dabchick, Mopani doesn't need to change, it already has a newish contractor and the food is excellent, plus the feeling seems to be that Punda is also not too bad currently.
Shingwedzi was most likely still closed and under repairs when the tenders went out so if no one tendered for it at the time then that might explain why, but I'm sure it will be rectified soon. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:37 pm 

As old Abe Lincoln said "You can please some of the people some of the time. You can please most of the people most of the time. But, you can't please all of the people all of the time!" So please let's wait and see what the new franchises are going to dish up.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I know I don't visit nearly as often as most mites, and not nearly as often as I want to, but my perspective is that we should give these franchises a chance. What I want is something good, hot, clean, and prompt. A nice SA beer to go along with lunch is a bonus. :thumbs_up:

I love to try local foods when I travel, but honestly I'm going to KNP for KNP and not the KNP restaurants.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
WildThing wrote:
To all the people complaining about the Wimpey and M & B - have you seen the menus that they will be offering in the KNP ? How do you know that it is going to be exactly the same as what is on offer at the big malls, etc. For all we know they could be offering traditional South African food. Lets at least give them a chance to start operating and see what they have to offer.

Well said WildThing :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Really doubt they will be changing the menu's, these are franchises, so what you get in 1 you get in all.
It is how their recipe works and how they manage to keep costs down.
Am not sure the other branches of Wimpy/ M&B would be happy if one franchise gets preferential treatment over another.

I am happy they are here, the quality of food has been poor for ages.
I just want a quick meal at a reasonable price when I need it, most of time I self cater.
The traffic should be no more than is current, a vehicle services the existing restaurant and a vehicle will service these.
Littering is a people problem not a restaurant/ take away problem.
I have always seen enough bins in camps.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 am 

Okay maybe I shouldn’t have, but I couldn’t resist :think:

I got the following of Mugg & Bean’s website relating to Franchising
(Mods, please remove if inappropriate)

http://www.themugg.com/franchising.php#18

Do I have to purchase my product supplies from specified suppliers?
Certain licensed products are compulsory from specified suppliers.

What control do I have over my menu?
The concept of Mugg & Bean and its specialty items allows no discretion to franchisees in determining the menu for a restaurant.
Menus are updated at least twice per annum and menu items are reviewed and prices re-evaluated by the Mugg & Bean brand team prior to new menu implementation.

As per earlier post, there is no point in speculating weather they will alter the menu for Kruger or not
(I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they don’t change a thing)

January/February 2015
Olifants Camp-5 nights (BBD2V), Lower Sabie-5 nights (LST2U), Lodge on banks of Crocodile River 5-nights
And still planning.............

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

But M&B franchise success is due to the consumer being able to go into any branch and know what to expect. Hence if I am in Kruger, I know that I will get the same product from this M&B as the one I have around the corner from my house. The consumer has made this brand a success, it does not help the fanchise if they get a different product at one place to what they get at another.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:15 am 

Safari Gal wrote:
No Cattle Baron in Nelspruit or anywhere else in Mpumalanga or Limpopo

This is more worrying :o

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:26 am 

I don't find it worrying at all,
they are a well established name in many other parts of the country. :thumbs_up:

Cattle Baron

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:12 pm 

Elsa wrote:
No, I really can't imagine that there would be too many folk who would consider driving into the park, paying the conservation fees just to eat at a specific restaurant chain.

Yup, maybe a few people who live in Hazyview would want to go and check it out in the beginning, but I really don't see enough people being willing to pay conservation fees on top of their lunch, often enoush, to make a difference to the ambiance in the park. I'm sure there are other good steakhouses in Hazyview - ones where you don't have to leave before sunset!

But I guess if you look hard enough, you will always find something negative...

Koen wrote:
Indeed given the excitement on this thread about something as ordinary as a wrap I just hope people wont be seeing Skakusa as a "strip mall"*** ignoring the park and its function completely bringing with it the usual problems of irresponsible visitors.

Assuming that I DID take it out of context, please put it in context and explain the statement I quoted above. Especially clarify who, if not the people who express excitement about these restaurants on this thread or their children, do you think will start seeing Skukuza as a strip mall?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Koen wrote:
Im not entirely sure these franchises are even going to do well enough to be around very long.

Ermm... :| :hmz:

I see many posters stating they long for the old days of good food and full restaurants. Now SANParks are trying to return to the days of good food. Once that is in place it is logical to expect the full restaurants to return as well. When you factor in that more international visitors are visiting than in the past, that would surely mean that the potential foot traffic for these establishments are there.

Regarding the local suppliers, whilst it would be wonderful for SANParks to help every local supplier, it is not feasible. Sometimes the produce might not be up to standard, it might be too expensive. I think SANParks is trying to learn from past mistakes it has made. Give them a chance.

With regards to the menus, as per this draft document, here (page 77), the menu has to be at least 90% similar to the outside franchises. So this would leave some wiggle room for new items, but when you see Wimpy at Satara, you can expect Wimpy. Same goes for Mugg and Bean and the rest. This is only a draft agreement and the final agreements might be different for each different restaurant.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:50 am 

I think we've all had our say and we know where we all stand on the issue. There is really nothing more to be gained by repeating the same old stuff.

As Les's post indicates, SANParks are monitoring the comments made and I'm sure they are going to be monitoring the transition to the new structure very closely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next