Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Boorgatspook-Camel Thorn Dreams...June 2011
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:35 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Over the next couple of nights, a invitation to all to pull up a chair and enjoy with me the warmth of a fire, while enjoying a glass of cape red or old brown sherry. Let me take you away to a magical place of camel thorn trees, where antelope roam free and where each day is a pure blessing. Fill your lungs with the crisp cool air, watch with me the sunrise over the bush when a new day is born and in the evenings when the moon and stars announce the end of the day.

It's here, Mokala National Park, where I want you to enjoy my stories still to be written.....

Post subject: Re: A Winters Tale...
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:45 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
11 June 2011

We left Bloemfontein just after 08:30. Petrusburg, Kimberley - almost there ! Evidence of the resent heavy rains were everywhere to be seen (at some places even flooding the tarr road). Left Kimberley and only 60 odd kilometers to go. And at last, the turn off to Mokala, only 21 km's to go. Dirt road, but no problems at all, and in a very good condition after the rains, and not corrigated that much as a few years ago on my day visit to the park.

At last we reached the gate, and a new journey has started. Home sweet Home !!

Elsa Heyns, the receptonist, was just awesome. Soon we were allocated Bungalow # 15 called "Zebra". The unpacking was done in quick time, and only because of the "trolies" available to transport all your stuff in one go.

Settled in, it was time to relax! But soon that exploring itching feeling took over, time for a walk around the camp. We met this little guy along the way...

Post subject: Re: A Winters Tale...
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:07 am 

FAC Member (2012)
11 June 2011 - contunue...

He / She seemed iritated by my presence and disturbing lunch hour, so give me "the eye"

Back at the bungalow, mother decided to have a siesta, while for me, time to explore Matopi and Tsessebe Loops ! Plenty of mammals on the first drive in the park. (Tsessebe, Springbok, Impala, Wildebeest, Giraffe, Ostrich, Warthog, Zebra, Gemsbok, Kudu)

The new picnic spot on the Matopi Loop road ask for relaxation ! Ablution facilities which are kept clean, and very nice sites where one can have a braai!

After a most enjoyable drive and day, it was time to lit the braai fire and the little stove.

Post subject: Re: A Winters Tale and Camel Thorn Trees...
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:03 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
12 June 2011

Good afternoon from Mosu Lodge :yaya:

We woke up this morning to the most beautiful sunrise. For once I didn't took any photo's, I just wanted to enjoy every second of it. After breakfast we drove again the Matopi and Tsessebe loops. The road to Doornlaagte is still closed after the heavy rains. We were told upon returning that it might open later in the week after the scrapers has repaired the road.

It's not just a beautiful day (a few clouds around at the moment) but quite warm too! Where has the winter gone to? :hmz:
Plenty of antelope again, and two species could be added to the list, namely - Mountain Reedbuck and Red Hartebeest.
No rhino or Eland as yet, wonder where they are hiding??

Some photo's from the morning drive...

Going to head out again in a few minutes, and hopefully something to report back later tonight !
The connection here are really really bad and it takes ages to just upload a few photo's but hey it's the bush after all !! :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:30 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
12 June 2011 Continue...

The afternoon drive weren't that productive in sightings but still a relaxing drive. Two more species were added to the list, Eland (from far) and Buffalo (no photo, with the sun setting in the back).

And with the sun disappearing, all is well at Mokala!

Wishing all a good nights sleep :yaya:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:29 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
13 June 2011

We woke up again to the most beautiful morning as the sun announced a new day...

It was a bit cooler than the previous mornings, but now the weather is perfect ! The morning drive were relatively quiet, with most sightings far from the roads. And still it seems that most antelope are still not very relaxed with the sound and presence of cars.Each time they would flee, which make photographing them very difficult.

A new addition to the list is suricates :dance: although taken from a distance so just photo proof...

The "vlakkies" (warthogs) are always giving some entertainment, and wonderful to watch them running with their tails in the air.

And just before the camp....

Almost lunch time now, and with a little siesta, we will be on the search again. So till later this evening, we wish everyone a wonderful day!

Post subject: Re: Camel Thorn Dreams...
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:48 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
13 June 2011 - Continue...

Good evening everyone :yaya:

Before we set out for our afternoon drive, I thought to give you all a glimpse of our bungalow...

Mother enjoying her afternoon tea with rusks...

Main bedroom...

and finally the bathroom...

Finally we set out on the afternoon drive. A slow drive that too us more than 3 hours, returning 30 minutes before gate closing time. First Antelope was plenty again to be seen, but for the first time some close up opportunities...

The braai fire is lit and all is "quiet" except for the Jackals having conversations! If I have to translate what they say, I think it would be something like this:

Jack: "Hey Fred, found something yet to eat?"

Fred: "Nothing yet, Jack! And you?"

Jack: "Nothing either! Let me know if you find something, pretty please!"

Fred: "Will do Jack! Maybe we should go and look at Haak en Steek Camp, nothing here at Mosu."

Jack: "Great idea Fred! Not even a braaivleissie here it seems :sad: Lets meet under our usual tree on the hill before going to Haak en Steek!"

Fred: "See you soon, Fred !" :thumbs_up:

And so another great day ends in paradise. Sleep well everyone :yaya:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:57 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
14 June 2011

Afternoon forumites from a rather windy Mokala :yaya:

Mokala became alive with activity this morning ! Just after sunrise I could here a bird of a different kind :wink: Soon all was revealed, it's the game capture unit that will have a difficult task to do, capturing buffalo. We haven't gone out for our usual morning drive, but decided to stay at camp and wait for the Rock Engraving Drive to departure at 11:00.

At R150.00 per person, including 3 hours drive to two sites, and parts of the park that the normal tourist don't have access to, it was worthwhile and I would recommend it to any one thats interested. Our guide was Stefan, very friendly, knowledgable and we had a chat along the way that I have very much enjoyed.

And at last a sighting which have eluded me for many years! Roan :dance: :dance:

Along the way to the first site, we encountered plenty of antelopes (including Njala), some giraffe, warthogs, yellow hornbill, ect. A short walk up the little hill took as at where the engravings on the rocks can be seen. Can you identify the following animals??

1 Image

2 Image

3 Image

4 Image

Met this poser on our way to the second egraving site...

Now site # 2 aren't that easily accessable for persons that have problems climbing a hill. Very rocky and boulders ect. We headed home past the game capture unit and got a close glimpse of the operation. And a final sighting of secretary birds...

In all, a awesome experience, and we are glad that we did do the rock engraving drive. It's worthwhile doing it, but hey, it up to you to decide when you staying at Mokala in the future... :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:48 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
14 June 2011 - Continue..

Good evening everyone ! :yaya:

Since the time it took to upload the photo's of our morning, the evening turned out to be heavenly quiet. We haven't gone out on a afternoon drive, but rather relaxed in camp. I took a stroll along the little fence down towards the waterhole to be seen from the camp.

Firstly a "sighting" of the the "early bird" of this morning, which I believe had done hard work during the day.. :clap:

A surprise visitor at the waterhole :dance: .....

And lastly a magical end to the day over the bush....

Life is GREAT!!! :mrgreen:

Till tomorrow, it's good night to all from a peacefull Spook :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:00 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
15 June 2011

Good evening everyone :yaya:

Another great day in paradise has ended! The most of the day it was very windy. We only went out for a drive after 10:00. Nornal sightings than the previous days was at order, but a new addition...

A sighting which I could not identify but confirmed to be a Koper Springbok (Coper Springbuck??)..

After our drive we relaxed, and while mother stayed behind, I went on a sunset drive. Depature at 16:00 it combines a day and a night drive. Again I a worthwhile drive with Stefan as guide! Plenty of game we saw, this kudu bull posed I couldn't resist taking a photo of him...

Plenty of other antelope were seen, njala, gemsbok, kudu, Tsessebe, Red Hartebeest, springbok, duiker, steenbok, some scrub hares, spring hares ect...

But the most two sightings that will ever stand out for me are the following:

Firstly an another antelope that I was seeking all the years visiting SANParks - Sable !! :dance: :dance: :mrgreen:

And a bit further, White Rhino...

I have truely loved the drive, with a sundowner (cherry and packet of biltong) and good company in Stefan, together with unforgettable sightings, it's what dreams are made of.

It's been another awesome day, as I'm sitting here outside typing this installment for you all, it has quiet down, and the moon is shining so brightly at the moment! I don't want to be at any other place than here tonight.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:30 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
And if that rock engraving was of an elephant... does that mean that there used to be elephants in the `Kalahari'?
I don't think Sanparks will bring them back in a hurry -- you would need a vast area so that they would not cause too much damage to those beautiful camelthorn tree -- maybe they were only passing through that area in the rainy season...
God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Very good question Friedrich! One that I also posed at our guide. Were elephants naturally found in the area? The answer that I got was to remember that 100's of years ago there were free movement of animals. So the guess is that elephants were seen by the bushman here, but as you rightly said just passing through. I also can't foresee in the very soon future that Mokala will introduce elephants ! Although now with the fences down between Mosu (the main part of the park) and Lilydale, the park is only about 27,000 hectares. So in comparison with other parks relative small, and can't control the impact at this stage that elephants will have on the park. There are talks to introduce other species that roam this area, but lots of study have to be done still. :wink:

Thanks for everyone reading and commenting on the TR! Much appreciated ! :thumbs_up:

Once i'm back with a better connection I'll try to answer some questions been asked ect :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
16 June 2011

We woke up this morning to a cold and very windy Mokala! We just returned from our morning drive, and sitting here outside now to give a update what we saw. Think once I'm finished I will lit the stove and relax in front of it :wink:

Sadly I don't have any photo's of sightings, we did see Tsessebe, Giraffe, Red Hartebeest and a mongoose but that was that. And to far away as well for decent photo's. Think all the animals have gone in hiding as well from this terrible wind and cold.

We will try again later this afternoon, and just maybe something more exciting to report back on.

Till then, have a wonderful day :yaya:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:08 am 

FAC Member (2012)
16 June 2011 - Continue...

Good evening everyone from a still very windy Mokala! :yaya:

The afternoon drive haven't produced much in respect of sightings but still a very relaxed one. Giraffe, Gemsbok, Tsessebe, Ostrich were to be seen from far away.

I would like to leave you all with some scenery photo's of the drive though...

Our time at Mokala is coming to a end. :( Still one day left though, and we hope for a another great day. The stove has been burning gently since 14:00 this afternoon and it's very cousy inside at the moment. Mother decided to seek the warmth of the bed while I'm uploading the photo's.

For now it's good night from a special place, until tomorrow! Happy dreams all! :yaya:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:50 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
17 June 2011

Our last day in the park has came as a bit of a shocker ! How is it possible that 7 days can fly by so quicky :huh: I was sitting outside enjoying a cup of coffee when snapping this one..

I decided for the last day, not to drive myself, but rather book a day drive for three hours which would took me away from the normal tourist routes. Mother decided to stay behind at the end, something I think she regrets now :whistle: Stefan was the guide, and yet again we could share and chat all the way. I have never enjoyed on all the drives in all the parks I have done previously as I did on the last few with him as quide.

Plenty of antelope were seen again and a large herd of buffalo as well. This Nyala asked for it's photo to be taken..

And a blue wildebeest who warmed itself in the sun, until he noticed us and stood up...

We stopped at the new hide at Stofdam which were sponsered by the West Rand HR's

Further these Zebra's...

and plenty of Tsessebe, Red Hartebeest, Springbok and Roan again :cool:

I wasn't alone though, I also met two forumites who I haven't seen since the cricket weekend in 2008 ! I'm not going to reveal their identity but it was a real lovely surprise :wink:

The drive ended at 14:00 and soon it was time to lit the braai fire. A last image as the sun set is this..,

I'm sitting outside, having a look at the moon and the stars. All is so peaceful and quiet at the moment, and yet I do feel so empty inside! I had such a wonderful blessed time, but yet I don't feel ready to leave this wonderful magical place. I have made a wish, to return soon.
I'm leaving my heart behind under the moon, the stars, even on a windy day.... hopefully one day to be found under a Camel Thorn Tree where I'm still Dreaming.....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]