Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ADDO: A WONDERFUL SURPRISE!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ADDO: A WONDERFUL SURPRISE!!!

We prefer to go to the Kgalagadi during the month of April. This year however we decided to do something different. We visited the Addo Ellephant National Park and Tsitsikamma.
A forumite once wrote that the Addo is a real jewel. We experienced it firsthand! I really did not know what to expect, but we found a very neat camp with a lovely atmosphere.

The first morning when I went to the kitchen to boil water for coffee I was stunned by the most beautiful view …… I had my red coffeepot on the stove to boil water and another camper had his green pot on the stoveplate next to mine. I couldn’t resist taking a photo of this “room with a view”!!!

The best view ever from a kitchen in a camp!!

The campsite

There is a big ellie for the little ones to play on.

The first thing we did after we settled in was to have a look at the waterhole where the Addo cam is. Again a wonderful surprise. You can either sit at the lookout point and watch the animals graze or drink water or you can watch the animals from the underground hide.

These 4 photos were taken from the underground hide looking at the cam waterhole.
I think the most beautiful kudus are in Addo!!!!

This photo was taken from the lookout point in the camp.

The neat path to the hide.

Post subject: Re: ADDO: A WONDERFUL SURPRISE!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

AWOL_loki: this is for you.

The campsite.

The path to the ablution, with a little bushbuck standing in the shade.

The lookout point.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ADDO is all about ellies. We saw many ellies doing what they do best: grazing and walking very fast!!!

The first ellie we saw on our first drive.

We saw the cutest little baby ellies. This little one wanted to drink, but the ellie nearest to our car decided that we might be a threat to the little one and moved closer to the baby to shield it completely from our view. What an amazing family structure. To watch this behaviour was very special. I will always remember this special moment.

Four ellies at Hapoordam

These ellies were in a hurry and definitely on a mission!!!

This mother kept a watchful eye on our car while her baby enjoyed a drink.

(To be continued…….)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have read that the ellies of Addo are more friendly than the ellies in KNP, especially those in the north of KNP. We once had a close encounter with an angry ellie near Letaba. He was charging at our car. We had to reverse for a long distance and had a few scary minutes before he turned away into the bush. In Addo it really seems as if they are more content.

To be so near these special animals ……

I have bigger ears than you!!!!

Ellies always in a hurry.

I almost missed this ellie with a collar. Does he/she have a name?

Unread postPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lionspoon: I keep on looking at the photo of the ellie with the collar. You are right: a collar on a ellie does look funny! Maybe he is one of the KNP elephants.

LarissaVW: Thank you! I am glad your login problems are solved. That can be a frustration!! We stayed 5 nights and it was too short. Camping for 8 days sounds better. I hope you will have a wonderful trip …… and maybe a TR??
Sorry, I do not have more photos, only this one which shows what every individual camping site looks like. As you can see every site is very private. Except for the family photos, I should have taken more! I can only repeat again what we experienced: it is a wonderful place to camp. Everything is kept very clean and very neat.

Salamanda: That photo is also a favourite of mine!

Stark: Well done!! A trip to be planned for Mr and Mrs Stark!!!! :thumbs_up:
Thanks for reading my TR!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have read about the lions of Addo, especially those from the Kalahari. Lions were not really on my wishlist but it is always a bonus to see lions!!!!

About 500 meters from Hapoor Dam is a smaller dam (without a name), so we called it Leeupan. Here we were fortunate to see 3 lions. They were lying in the shade near a carcass of a kudu. They were very lazy. Do they have names? Are they perhaps a group that are always together? It will be interesting to know all the details about these lions.

Early the next morning we heard a lion roaring. We stopped at Domkrag Dam and again we heard a very loud roar. Somewhere, not far away was a lion. We drove around for a while, then went back to Domkrag Dam. A guide from one of the safari jeeps told us where to look for the lion. The lion was very far from the road, but through the binoculars we could see him very clearly. A big male with a beautiful black mane. A dissapointment not to take a photo, but we very happy to see this beautiful lion. I only wish I knew if this was a Kalahari lion. With that big mane he definitely looked like a Kalahari lion.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

One more lion pic!

Salva: You were very lucky to see Tsama and Matt!! In which area of Addo did you see the lions?

Unread postPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The roads in the Addo are good and there are a few very nice lookout points. There are also roadsigns to remind you that there are indeed lions in the park!!!

Jack’s picnic site was another surprise!!

A storm was brewing.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Always remember to be on the lookout for the smaller animals too!!
As this sign says: be on the lookout for the scarce Flightless Dung Beetle.

The Flightless Dung Beetle use the elephant dung for food and reproduction.
Please do not drive over the elephant dung!!

We came across this tortoise drinking water from a waterpuddle on the road.

The remains of this tortoise shell tells a sad story.

The shell of Domkrag, the big leopard tortoise, can be seen at the Main Camp Reception. He used to walked in behind cars and lifted them up with enormous strenth.

A jackal drinking water in Domkrag Dam.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What a pleasure to watch these beautiful kudus!!
Sanparks could not have chosen a better emblem for the Parks.

The ostrich showing off his black feathers.

But the warthog is not so beautiful …….…

Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

HoepHoep wrote:
@ Salamanda:

A "domkrag" is the Afrikaans word for a jack, as a car jack (lifting jack). The tortoise pretend to be a car jack (domkrag) and jacked up the cars. The dam is therefore in his glory, as it was his domain in Addo.
Hope this clarify it for you.

Thanks HoepHoep, very clear and a nice story.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Micetta: Ditto!!! Yes, very handsome Kudu!

Pantera Leo: Thank you. It was a pleasure to write the TR! :D

Lionspoon: The way the elephant dung and the Flightless Dung Beetle work, is like an amazing jigsaw puzzle of nature.
Quote:
That kudu is majestic - I really like them as well!

So do I!! :D

Salamanda: The warthog is not a beauty, but I love to watch them, especially when they run with their little tails upwards. :lol:

Nkumbe: Thanks!! :D

HoepHoep: Thank you for the aditional information!
(Beautiful Stellenbosch was home for 26 years!!)

LarissaVW: Sorry for the delay …….

Spotted Cat: Thank you. I thought that it was an exceptionally beautiful Kudu! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I cannot end this TR without mentioning Hapoor. Hapoor was the legendary leader of the Addo elephants for 24 years. He had a nick or “hap” in his left ear. The Hapoor Dam is named after him.

Hapoor will have a special place in the New Interpretive Centre when it is complete.

Then it was our last night at ADDO. We were treated with an exceptionally beautiful sunset!
We had a wonderful time at Addo and will definitely be back. There is a tranquility about Addo that we enjoyed very much. It was sad to say goodbye to Addo, but the good memories will always be with us.

(Tsitsikamma: to be continued)

Unread postPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Tsitsikamma: Stormrivers Mouth

Camping in ADDO spoiled us!!!! Like ADDO we did not know what to expect at the Stormrivers Mouth. ADDO had a cosy feeling, while at Stormsriver you have a wide open-feeling with the ocean as far as you can see. All the camping sites are on grass. Our camping site had a panoramic view of the ocean. We stayed for 3 days at Stormrivers Mouth.

You can enjoy the view from your chair the whole day. If you do not want to be idle you can walk the first section of the Otter Trail (which also starts at Stormrivers Mouth). You can follow the trail to the first waterfall, a hike of about 6 hours It is not an easy route but very beautiful.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We were surprised to see roadsigns warning us to be on the lookout for dassies. We watched them sittng on the rocks, “sunbathing” on the rocks near the swimmingpool and a few even came close to where we were sitting in front of our tent. There were hundreds of them!!!!!

The walk to the suspension bridges (of which there are 3) is very beautiful. On one side you have the ocean and on the other side the forest. Sometimes you just do not have the words to express the beauty of nature……. If you are very fit you can take the walk to the high lookout point overlooking the bridges.

On our way to the suspension bridge we saw a family of dassies.

We heard and saw a Loerie hidden between the leaves of a tree. The bird flew away before I could take a good photo. I was so excited to have seen a loerie!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next