Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dreamer..Arrived excited, departed on a high .... .Sep 2009
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The 21 September finally arrived and SO (G), our daughter (M) and I were on our favourite road. We were so happy to notice that the Elephants have been removed from the park :wink:

Caracal and I had seen this new reception in an incomplete state in April but for G & M it was a totally new sight. M grumbled about it and thought it was a waste of money, she far prefers the old reception area. I think she probably takes after me. I not always happy with change and am inclined to reminisce about how things were. I’m sure that will change as the years go by and I’ll get used to it :redface:
Image (remember this pic)
We settled in at about 5pm and decided to do a short drive to Samevloeeing just to get that “we’re finally here feeling” :dance: There were only two other cars parked at the waterhole. Shortly after 6 the first left and then followed by the second and a few minutes later, ourselves.
About half way between Samevloeeing and TR both vehicles had stopped.
On asking what they were looking at the answer we received made us instantly feel :mrgreen: :mrgreen: LEOPARD and we missed it!!
Well, the lovely lady in the second vehicle was feeling more ill than we were, even though she HAD seen the leopard. She had come to the park armed with camera and batteries BUT with no CF cards. None at all!!! Needless to say, I got over my disappointment of not seeing the leopard very quickly. I felt desperate for her :cry:

After handing in our permits we enjoying the first of many beautiful evening skies.

Before bed, we made this very disappointed ‘leopard’ lady very happy … I gave her the spare 4GB CF card that Caracal had kindly lent to me. Caracal, I wish you could have experienced her joy!!
Well, I’m looking forward to receiving it back in the post, she tells me that had an awesome trip and wetoo can enjoy it by seeing all their photos that she will leave on the disc for us to enjoy.

Post subject: Re: Arrived excited, departed on a high .... ...
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you to everyone for your comments and your patience! I thought when I began this report that I was in control of my work load. Well, that’s not how it is…I’m not, so am sorry to have kept you waiting so long :redface:
Our Itinary after TR was Nossob for 3 days, Grootkolk for 3 days, back to Nossob 1 and then off to Urikaruus for 2.
Or stay up north was very quiet sightings wise so I thought I would combine the Nossob days into one episode and the Grootkolk days into another episode.

Before I begin with Nossob I’ll do a little bit on our second day at TR

Woke up to a beautiful sunrise
Image Before Auchterlonie we were very happy to see these cute Suricates except this one definitely put me on ‘ignore’ mode

Then M urgently called “STOP” She amazed us this trip. She found all the gorgoeus little tinycreatures and different birds.
This Violet Eared Waxbill was not easy to photograph. Well, for me it wasn’t . The wind was blowing the branches that it was perched on and the eagerness to get pic did not help.

View from the Auchterlonie Museum (No Lions in sight!!!) I have not seen this Blacksmiths Workshop before :hmz: Is it a new addition to the area?

Image Auchterlonie

Image Baby Ostriches
As everyone has reported, the springbok babies were too gorgeous. Never before have we seen so many.
Image Springbok Baby Bums

I’m prettier than you…..No you’re not..…Yes I am..…No you’re not, you have no tail :huh:

Image Agama on branch

Took this pic of this Ostrich but I must admit…it took me a while to make out what was going on…it looks so funny!!

Image Funny Ostrich

Image Giant Eagle Owl

This last one is for Kamprunner :D They were having a meet in Cape Town at a Gourmet Burger place. We decided that a burger challange seemed like a good idea, so braaied burgers it was to be!! However a yellow mongoose also fancied a burger. G rested the plate of raw burgers on the chair while he re-arranged the hot coals. Next thing we heard him furiously moaning :x The little blighter stole a burger and took off at high speed! None to spare but one each was more than enough and we thoroughly enjoyed them (even though M only did half of job in buttering the rolls :naughty:

Image Burger Bash

A little Amarula for 'pudding' and an early night... looking forward to heading North in the morning.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you for reading and thank you for your encouraging comments :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: I really appreciate them.
Shhh...don't say a word ...G thinks I am working, in the meanwhile...I'm on the forum :naughty:

We left TR excited to be heading for Nossob. I took a stroll past the camping area to meet G&M who had driven to fetch the permit. A vehicle stopped me in my track and one of the occupants said ”Hello…, you must be Dreamer” It was Jo who had spotted our yellow ribbon and G had told her I was walking towards them . Thanks Jo for taking the trouble to drive back to come and find me. Just a pity time was short. I felt sorry for you that your holiday was over.
Image TR Morning Light

Image Shelduck, a first for us in KTP seen at Samevloeeing

Some folk found lions at Auchterlonie….we found PnPay Kids in the Park

ImageKids in Park

This cute little fox seen near Kamqua.
Image Cape Fox

Image Cape Fox

On the dunes road we saw this very calm little Steenbok Image

It was a day to see amimals with deformed horns
ImageGemsbok deformed horns

This beautiful owl seen just before Melkvlei
Image Spotted Eagle Owl

Also, a beautiful mole snake but we were uncertain if it was injured or perhaps dead
Image Mole Snake

We stopped at Melkvlei for our lunch break. I could have stayed there all day. It was cool in the shade, quiet and the surrounds really beautiful.

Sometimes it is far easier to take pics of the game and birds, they seem more obliging. Anyway, at least I got 50 % paying attention to the camera this time!!

ImageMelkvlei Picnic Spot

Something we had noticed this trip was that many, in fact, lots of the waterholes looked like this. A lot of water pumped that overflowed from the actual waterhole to the surrounding area. If my memory does not fail me, this one was Kaspersdraai.

Same with Maries se Draai, water everywhere

We arrived at Nossob and received big welcome from Gert. He sure has a good memory, recalling the previous visits when we met him at Grootkolk.
I was eager to get to the hide and see what was coming and going. For me, there is nothing more pleasant when staying at Nossob to spend time alone in the hide. It’s also a great place to meet up with others and hear what has been going on in and around the area. Must say, I think it is a pity that the new waterhole does not have a more natural look. I know they say they had reasons to build it like this but you can’t compare it to the may other attractive man made waterholes throughout the park (OK, that’s my niggle said and done !!) :redface:

ImageNossob Waterhole

Blackbacked Jackal seen from the hide

ImageBBJ

We took a short drive North to Cubitjie Quap and M spotted this lovely cobra along the side of the road. When we reversed while looking on the ground to see where he had moved to, we got the shock of our lives when we suddenly realised he was eye level!! :shock: :shock:

We made our way back to camp to light the fire and await the delivery of the delicious roostekoek. So delicious they were eaten before I could take a pic to show everyone here what they look like! Not to worry though, we will be back again and will remember to order extra…..just so I can get a picture :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you thank you thank you for your patience!! And, thank you for all the comments, I really do enjoy them AND appreciate them.
Must say, I have not been a very nice person to live with during the past week or so!! Too many things not going my way!! (Gosh..that makes me sound like I’m a spoilt brat :redface: ) Not so, just had a dose of too many things not working and breaking. I’m sure it’s no different in any other normal households.
OK, let me get on with it!! :D I’m now going to give you and overdose of pics from a very special Cheetah sighting. I don’t think I breathed properly for the duration of the sighting and at one stage put the camera down and just enjoyed every moment watching these beautiful Cheetah.*sigh* *sigh**sigh*

We left Nossob at gate opening time and headed North. It was darkish, a bit cloudy and gloomy and one could see the haze from the fires up North.

As we were approaching Cubitjie Quap

We drove on to the waterhole as it seemed obvious that they would be going to drink

The rest, tell the story!!

Mum and her two cubs were constantly on the alert.
As I said, I think I forgot to breath properly. Quite exhausting!! G and M tells me there were probably about 10 cars in the end at this sighting. I didn’t notice them.

The sun tried it’s best to shine through the clouds and at one stage succeeded a tiny bit.

I can post some more but just want to make sure all’s good. Skip the next episode if you have had enough.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I’m happy you enjoyed the Cheetahs. Thanks for the comments. I know from reading everyone else’s reports that if you can’t see it in real, seeing it here on the forum is next best !

Needless to say, we left that sighting feeling very very happy that we had finally seen cats! :D :D :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Oh dear :redface: :redface: :redface:
Yes, I embarrassed that I abandoned this report.

Sorry :( that I was so rude to ignore you all. Did not intend to be but I'm sure that's how it looked!!
I do want to thank you all for the prompts and the kind encouraging comments and feel I should at least end off in a mannerly way. So, here are a couple of pics that tell their own story and perhaps give you a feel of KTP.
I have a few more but think I should wait a bit as I could be over the limit for this page. (How's that for a good excuse :wink: :wink: )

Image Grootkolk Sunrise

ImageSunset

ImageCape Hare

Image We stayed at Grootkolk for 3 days and for 3 days, morning and evening we scanned this tree at Kannagaus Waterhole for the resident Leopard. She had been seen nearly every day in the week leading up to our stay, BUT no luck :( We had heard that she was pregnant so we assumed she had gone off and had her cub :huh:

Image A first for us :dance: Just before Geinab waterhole we were lucky to see this Warthog

ImageWarthog

ImageLijersdraai

Image These two were very obliging :D

ImageMole Snake

ImageSand Snake

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you, I'm pleased I'm back too :wink:
a couple of pics from Nossob and surrounds

Image Is this a Greater Kestrel ?

ImageWe did not camp but I just love this pic of the camping area, makes me want to be there NOW. It was really hot this day and I think all the campers wished they had this spot under this shady tree. (I believe these trees to be one of the alien species called Honey Mosquite) May be alien but still a very beautiful tree.

Image Juvenile PCG

Image For those of you who have not been to Nossob, this is a typical pic of Wildebeest heading towards the Nossob waterhole.

Image Always a bit of hurry scurry at the waterhole :D

Image Oh dear :( This is not one of the areas you want to spend any time in at all. However, for us it was part of our journey so I took the pic non the less. After all, all aspects of the holiday make up memories :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments :thumbs_up:
:wall: Micetta, the last pic of the very 'un-bush' like place was the workshop area at Nossob. Unfortunately we had vehicle problems....we broke a steering arm which needed to be fixed or else our holiday would come to an abrupt end :evil:
Aubrey, the technician at Nossob was absolutely fantastic. Even though he was under huge pressure to leave Nossob for TR , he managed to help by doing a quick welding job which enabled us to leave the following morning for Urikaruus.
M certainly had her eyes well tuned in.Just after Maries Draai she spotted this scorpion crossing the road.

As we reached the end of the dunes road we saw this cheetah at Kamqua waterhole. Seems that she had been watching an ostrich but soon lost interest.

Oh dear....this is what welcomed us at Kamqua picnic spot. What a disaster. There had been an accident on the dunes road. Both vehicles needed to be towed away on a flat bed trailer. Unfortunately, the one flat bed needed to be towed itself as it broke down on route to the recovery place :shock:

It was once again our turn for needing assistance!! The welding job did not do the trick and we once again had to make a decision. Should we just call it a day and organize ourselves a lift with the flat bed? The answer was NO!! These kind folk who we had crossed paths with a few times during our stay helped us with that decision :thumbs_up: After they noticed that I was not coping well with the worry and stress due to our car problems, they soon sorted me out with a MUG of Amarula!! Thank you thank you thank you is all I can say. It's so heartwarming to realise just how helpful people are and just how much they care.

They encouraged us to keep our bookings at Urikaruus. They even gave us some novels to read in the case of us been stranded there for 2 days without a vehicle.

Marius, the camp attendant at Urikaruus, in his true helpful manner soon had us sorted!! He chatted with the other guests and soon we discovered more wonderful people :clap: :clap: :clap: Occupying the other 2 units were a retired couple from Cape Town and a young couple from the Transvaal.
Our next two days we were spoilt rotten!! Between these two couples we were taken on game drives and SO was taken to Mata Mata to make the necessary car arrangements. With their help and that of Marius, we made all the neccessary plans and ended up spending 2 fantastic days at Urikaruus.
So, once again we were thanking people for the kindness :clap:

Soon after the initial welcome Marius looked at me with a huge smile and said " Kom mevrou, ek wil vir jou iets wys wat vir jou baie gelukkig sal maak". ( I want to show you something that will make you very happy) "Ons het besoekers." (We have visitors)

These two were lying sleeping just across the riverbed on the other side of the waterhole. It was not long before they were joined by another :D

We were entertained for a couple of hours. A perfect way to end a day that was very stressful for us all. (If my SO could comment here, he would tell you that I am a huge worry pot!!)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Once again, thank you all, for your compliments :D
@ fenwickh...yes, a small world it is!! I met your daughter and it was not long while chatting that we discovered you also LOVE our National Parks :thumbs_up: Maybe one day well meet up at one of out CT meets :D

Right, back to our wonderful stay at Urikaruus

It's always so entertaining watching the ground squirrels. These were to cute. Mommy was nurturing and cleaning her little one who very often was not appreciative of her efforts

Oh well, just like us human beings, we are not always satisfied with what we have. These naughty lions have all the freedom they could possibly want...BUT were not satisfied :? They wanted to be caged in like poor animals in a zoo :huh:
They were quite a problem for the rangers who had to shoo them out and away from the water tank. They had broken the pump behind and it needed to be fixed!

A few more snakes seen along the way

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the comments. Sure seems that those gorgeous ground squirrels creep into many hearts :D

Just a couple more pics from Urikaruus and its surrounds

This is me trying to be clever like Caracal :wink: She once posted a great pic taken at Grootkolk and so I thought I'd give it a bash. A bit busy but if you look carefully you can see the cabins at Urikaruus :D

This is how it looked in the direction in front of the units

and this is what we saw looking out behind Marius cabin

Tomorrow you will see why we left KTP on a high :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

OK, on to our last day :( :( As you all know, leaving the KTP is always difficult and for many of us quite sad and this time was to be just that!!
We woke up early as we needed to get on the move earlier than usual. We had been granted permission to do so due to our vehicle problem.
The beautiful clouds the night before led to this as we were packing up to leave. How I wished that we were not leaving!! :evil: All I wanted to do was set up the tripod and capture some of this magnificent storm on camera. That was not to be so I had to be satisfied with these 2 very quickly taken hand held shots

Beautiful morning skies as the sun rose to wish us farewell.

The strangest sighting we had. The light was still low and we did not stop either because we needed to get to TR by a certain time, however I still wanted a record of this rare animal , the SpringJackalbok :D

As we neared Houmoed a car passed us and told us that 4 Cheetahs were drinking at the waterhole. Well, we could not travel faster than we were and I think that was probably 25km's per hour so buy the time we got there they were already on the top of the ridge. I could not get all 4 in one pic :(

What a fantastic sighting to bring our holiday to an end :D

I was determined to try get all 4 in one pic. I eventually managed. Not close by I got it :D

Sitting on the side of the road at this Cheetah sighting , wondering what all the excitement was about.

The last mileage stone that we would see in KTP for many many months :( :(
So now you are probably thinking that the cheetah sighting was why we left on a high..... Well no......., this will show you why :wall:

We travelled in our own vehicle on top of this flatbed to Upington where Hyundai were waiting for us. They were incredible :clap: :clap: :clap: The part had not arrived in time from Jhb so they took what was required from a demo model and within an hour we were on our way back to CT. Yet again we were so thankful and reminded just how many wonderful friendly helpful people we met on this holiday!!

The many many months that I mentioned we would have to wait before we would see those wonderful milestones again has turned out to be only 5 months.
Now I only have 4 more sleeps :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
We're on our way again on Thursday to spend 8 days in KTP.
1TR, 3 Nossob, 2 KTC ,1 New Chalet in Mata Mata ( just so we can let you know what they are like :wink: ) and the last in TR.

Thank you for being so patient while I have taken so long (5 months :redface: :redface: ) to complete this report. And thank you for all the wonderful comments you made. So much appreciated :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]