Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Kalahari Skylines
Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:47 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
Following our recent trip up to the KTP and as a prelude to our trip report which is still in the making, I thought I would do a "mini trip report" to show a few of the Kalahari vistas we encountered.
(all pics were taken by Wannabe nerd unless stated)

On the way there! ( Hoping to see elephants! :shock: :D )

A Mata Mata sunset

Seen around Nossob:

And at Grootkolk

More to follow later

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Last edited by GavinW on Tue May 26, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Kalahari Skylines
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Well here goes....... Thanks again for all your expectant comments. I hope we live up to your expectations with this report.

Friday 1st May 2009
Awoke at 1.30am to leave home by 2.30am. Debbie started driving and we are on our way to our favourite place at long last. We stopped in Calvinia for breakfast and arrived at Skaapland in Upington at about 12noon. Met with Adele who kindly sorted us out and we were on our way to KTP. ....................... :D :D :D

Debbie worked out the riddle of the elephants..... They actually represent us as we like elephants keep returning to the same place :thumbs_up:

We arrived TR just after 3pm .
(Pic of the new entrance being built)

We were given chalet no 27 although we had hoped for number 1. We learned that all our other bookings were as we requested for our future bookings :clap: :clap: and at least we were placed in an OK position at TR . Our chalet was clean and very pleasant.

We decided to go out at about 4, stopped at Samevloeiing and then went on to Munro. Saw the usual plus Greater Kestral posing on the side of the road.
We also saw this chap along the dune road on the way back to camp
Once back in camp we had our first braai in the Kalahari…………..it was sooooo good to be back.
Image (My pic)

After our meal we went for a short walkabout around the camp in search of anything :redface: and saw a really big songololo

as well as our first Gemsbok of the trip!!!! :lol:

We both then went to bed very happy and excited about being back "home"

and

Last edited by GavinW on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Saturday 2nd May 2009

We awoke at 6am and were first in the queue to receive our permit.

Had a quick peek at Samevloeiing and then drove through the dunes and onto Kamfersboom. We saw the all the old favourites , but otherwise it was a pretty quiet drive. I was just so good to be bumping along a KTP road again.Once past Kamfersboom we then had to turn around as we needed to get back to the chalet to be out by 9am as we only had the one night at Twee Riveeren .
Just after Munro we happened upon these two chaps. WOW……. :dance: :dance:

Our first alone sighting. :D We stayed with them for quite a while, and enjoyed seeing the two cheetahs marking their territory. Eventually we had to leave as we where breaking the “leave chalet by 9am rule”………
On the dune road we were told of another cheetah sighting. Five cats including a few naughty cubs. All I saw was the end of a tail flying away over a dune so it couldn’t really be counted as a sighting. Still we we more than happy with what we had seen earlier.

Once back in camp we packed and then couldn’t resist phoning Dreamer to make her jealous whilst we still had cellphone coverage :twisted:
We then filled up the Jap, checked tyres and were off on our way to Urikaruus for one night.
On the way back over the dune road we came upon our first ever puffadder in the park:

We got to Urikaruus at about 2pm loaded with a few extra things for Marius. We booked into no. 1 and as we were only staying the one night we decided to make the most of it and spent the rest of the day in camp. Love the renovations and still think that this is an amazing camp. Life was very quiet but maybe this is just what we needed to help us wind down after a stressful working year.
Some of my pics of the camp:

(WN's pic of a happy SO)

That evening whilst waiting for the braai, we had to check the “Pink Box” survival kit which Wannabe Nerd had cleverly secured at our last Christmas forum meet. Luckily it was all still intact. 8)

and

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sunday 3rd May 2009

We woke bright and early and left at 7am ( We still think that the gate times should only change half way through the month as it was already quite light, but this is just our opinion). We were full of expectations after our experiences at Urikaruus last year where we had a wonderful leopard sighting, but as we all know you never can expect repeat performances in the wild

After a while I spotted a honey badger in the road just after the Urikaruus lookout. There was great excitement in the car as it was another first for both of us. However the ratel was moving fast and the grass was pretty long in places which resulted in limited photo opportunities. At least we have proof.

Just after that we spotted a large Kudu Bull on the other side of the river……(another proof pic )…………

As well as this giraffe

Went back packed, and after watching the comings and goings at the waterhole for a while said cheers to Marius, we started a very slow trip to Mata Mata.
Scenes at the waterhole:

Just after we entered 13th borehole loop we experienced our first KTP traffic jam (4 cars). A lioness who appeared to be lactating and also trying to hunt (a few springbok around).

She then proceeded to the upper road and disappeared over the dunes.

We went onto Mata Mata and setup camp.

That evening we went for a drive as far as Dalkeith and saw :
Image a Marika Flycatcher
Image a crimson boubou
as well as the usual culprits

(Note the gemsbok without horns in the background. I am sure that she has been seen there before! She looks a bit like a donkey - poor thing!)

On the way back we stopped at Craig Lockhart and as we were leaving spotted some very well hidden bat eared foxes.

Back at camp we experienced yet another spectacular Kalahari sunset and enjoyed a braai at our new campsite happy that we had seen the lioness, a ratel as well as bat eared foxes during the day.

and

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Monday 4th May 2009

We woke early and went up to reception to get our permit, where we met up with two other couples who we would get to know pretty well whilst waiting for the various camp gates to open in the mornings over the next week and a half.

We were second out the gate and headed slowly south.

We went down as far as Rooibrak. Saw the usual plus a large herd of Giraffe near Kamqua .We counted over 25 in all

On the way back we also saw some baby ground squirrels ( we call them the "munch bunch" as they are always eating:

and a LBR

We were stopped just before Mata Mata by a kind gentleman who told us about 2 cobras raiding a sociable weavers nests as well as a Vereaux Eagle Owl and we think a Barn Owl.

We found it interesting to note the difference in the colours of the two cobras. Here is a pic of the one raiding the nest:

I had not brought a change of clothing on the drive ,and was quietly cooking by this stage (and getting very miserable!!), so after a while I eventually persuaded WN to leave as I really needed to get out of my tracksuits
Once back at camp we pottered around the campsite, had a wonderful shower and left on another drive. Again we saw very little until we came across another traffic jam just after the TR side of the Dalkeith loop.

A cheetah on a springbok kill.

A first for both SO and myself. A very kind gentleman gave up his prime spot and we managed to get some awesome photos

We think the cheetah is Skinny’s mother. Can anyone assist with an ID?

(I also have a video which I hopes works :D )
Cheetah on kill
We got back just as the gates were closing but just too late for petrol as the pumps close at 6pm, hence the late start the next day.

Mata Mata skyline:

That evening we enjoyed a great potjie and had a bit of excitement in the camp as a young puffie had been spotted at the ablution block.

Fortunately a Sanparks ranger came in a saved the night and our
bladders, by removing said puffie in a black dustbin, with a broom. He said that he would be taking out to the bush, and releasing it out of harms way!

and

Last edited by GavinW on Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Dreamer wrote:
:clap: Thanks Gavin...wonderful sightings :D
Gosh, that Cheetah may have been on a kill but take a look at her tummy!! That does not look like it's full from eating so perhaps it is her that had cubs :D

p@m mentioned here that she heard a cheetah had 4 cubs recently... hope someone gives us some more news and we get to see some pics soon!!

Debbie also thought that she may have been pregnant. :D
I thought that she was just very full cheetah's eat as quickly as possible before another predator steals the meal
:huh:

and

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ok here we go.... day 5

Tuesday 5th May 2009

We had to fill up with petrol and as the petrol station only opened at 7.30 we had a lie in and a late start.
We then took a slow drive down to Dalkeith where we came upon a bokkie having a bad hair day. I'm amazed how often we see this..

I was anxious to go further south to where we had seen the cheetah kill the previous evening and was a bit phased that we were late out the gate, so I was a bit impatient and didn't hang around with the bokkies too long. :redface:
( I know, I know) :redface: :|

We EVENTUALLY got to Dalkieth and found 6 lions on the very depleated cheetah kill and one just going over the dunes. :D
We heard that we hadn't missed any action which made me feel a whole lot more relaxed and we then enjoyed the show...

We really enjoyed seeing one cub playing with the horns of the springbok, unfortunatley we missed the photo :x

We stayed to watch for a while until one lioness got up and wandered off to the waterhole for a well deserved drink.

And at Dalkieth waterhole.......

The rest of the lions had in the interim come closer to the waterhole and settled under a nearby tree for the day

They weren't going anywhere, so we decided to leave them and carry on south..

At 14th borehole we saw this guy having a dop!!!!....................

That evening we went down to Craig Lockhart and saw 2 giant eagle owls in the tree above the watehole, but didn't get any great pics..
However we did see these guys.......

and captured this scene (Which I just love!!!)

After that we wended our way back to Mata Mata for our last evening at Mata Mata before heading over towards Nossob...............

(To be continued...... :popcorn: :D )

(Remember that all the pics were taken by Wannabe Nerd)

and

Last edited by GavinW on Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:20 pm 

Hi Gavin,

These are pics I took in May 08 at Sitsas and I've ID'd these 2 as mom and Skinny.
I've compared your first photo with my one of mom. Check the markings on the right front leg at the 'elbow' - I think you will find its the same cheetah.
The following photo (the light was a nightmare) I took on 10 May at Dalkeith at 2.30pm. Is this possibly the same kill you witnessed? - notice the buck on the left.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Tony
Great pics :dance: :dance:
The kill we saw was on the 4th of May. I did hear however that she was making regular weekly kills so it's a good chance it's the same cheetah
(Do you think SANPARKS are paying her to perform! :huh: :twisted: )

and

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great pics GavinW -- that lioness is really good-looking -- those muscles :shock:

Tony T & GavinW -- we saw Skinny and mom on a springbok kill near Sitzas in Oct last year. Also right next to the road. And a cheetah we think is mom on a springbok kill near 14th at the end of March -- also right next to the road. We were wondering if she uses the road (and traffic it generates) as a shield from other predators like lions. Sound farfetched ?

Sorry Gavin -- don't mean to hi-jack your report :redface: Great sighting :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The lions in KTP always look soooo good!
:clap: :clap:
:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello everybody!

The PM from Gavin and Anne Marie drove us straigh to this page, the very same morning we are back from a little trip to the Kruger :roll: .

Having checked the spots on the side, I definitely think it's well Mummy!

I am digressing a bit from gavin's TR here, but I am too hapy to tell you that we had a mail from Margie Mills confirming that Mummy (Elena) gave birth to 4 cubs lately.
Also, she told us that they received a pic from Skinny (Anton) confirming that he was able to survive for 3 months after parting from Mummy, and thus, we can now consider that SKINNY MADE IT to adulthood :clap: !

Ok, I am ready to see what comes next from this TR :popcorn: !

Last edited by Pikasso on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wednesday 6 May 2009

This was our last morning at Mata Mata as we were leaving for Nossob, where we would spend the next 3 nights. :D
We decided to go for an early morning drive before returning to pack up the camp.

First out the gate we came upon these stunning giraffe just before Sitsas
:dance:

They moved off over the hill pretty quickly so we carried on. All was pretty quiet,but we did manage to see this lovely juvenile PCG

as well as these BBJ's on the road :D :dance:

This PCG also was posing quiet nicley for us as well.

We then returned to Mata Mata to break down camp and head off to Nossob..........

and

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for the kind comments. Both Gav and I enjoyed every minute of this last trip and yes I think we work just great as a team.
I am back from George and will give Gav some more pics to carry on posting......... promise :twisted: :twisted:
Debbie

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wed 6 May 2009 cont..

Ou trip over to Nossob was pretty uneventful and we didn't see anything really out of the ordinary

Here is a peaceful pic taken at Eland ( I think) on the upper Dune Road
(We also so some Adims storks at the waterhole there)

Our first view of the Nossob River, just above Dikbaardskolk :D

We had been told about a lion kill some 20kms south of Nossob, so we were hoping to see the left overs, but were out of luck.
Whilst looking at the site we did see this striped mouse which was quiet special

We eventually got to Nossob and set up camp. We chose one of the campsites without power next to the eastern fence (The old campsite no 3), and spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing around camp and looking for birds.

Debbie caused quiet a stir amongst a group of birders in camp when she spotted this woodpecker ( We think it is a cardinal woodpecker)
She also saw one of the resident owls ( Sort of a compulsory picture to be taken at Nossob!)

and

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next