Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 5
 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Caracal's 2 Footloose & Fancy-Free .... KTP, Apr. '09
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

.....Foraging, Ferreting and F-stopping in the KTP !!!!

For the Few Forumites that do not know the Fable…

After Dreamer’s plans to visit the KTP with her Fledgling First born Flopped :cry: she was Frantic to find a Friend who was able to Flee to the park with her. The Four Figure Numbers that she had paid for the Forthcoming Foray could not be Frittered away ...
No Force was needed in Fulfilling that Formality…..Dreamer soon Fathomed out who would Facilitate her in her search for Foxes, Flycatchers, Falcons and Felines…none other than the Forum’s Furtive Caracal…… :dance:

One Fertile Fonecall later….her Faux Pas was Flawlessly Fixed, Formulated and Finalised…Dreamer and Caracal are Flitting off to the KTP on the 29th March. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Now why all the F- words you ask ??? Well we decided that F-words are very expressive and could add some Fun to our Final Fictional Forum writings. :D After all we could be the Fantastic, Fabulous, Fun–loving, Flamboyant, Faultless, Fortunate Females…. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But now we would really like to add some more Fun to this Foray to KTP :dance:
We are hoping that some Forumites will Formulate some Feats for us….. :hmz:

To give you all some idea we are going to Formulate the First Feat ourselves.

We ( the 2 Footloose and Fancy-Free Female Forumites) pledge to donate 1 x Fifty Rand note to any SANParks Conservation Project if we manage to Find 3 different Felines on the same day !!! :clap:

So come along Fellow Forumites please Forage deep down into your thought Facilities and Formulate a Feat or two for us :pray:

I might even pick up an F** (fat) Armoured Cricket with my bare hands :big_eyes: :big_eyes: if it means that some Forumite will donate a Fifty Rand Note to SANParks….

Dreamer has pledged a Fifty Rand note if I do not Flee with Fright when I have to share my sleeping quarters with a Cape Serotine Bat :roll: …and I have pledged a further Fifty Rand note if Dreamer manages to get a photo of a rock monitor before she Faints. :lol:

So come on Forumites ..how about it ????
Every little Fifty, half Fifty or Four Fifty Rand notes will all help towards conserving nature in the Parks.

Yours Faithfully :D
Dreamer and Caracal :thumbs_up:

:) :) :) :) :)

Post subject: Re: 2 Footloose & Fancy-Free Female Forumites ....
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Two Femme Fatale let loose in the Kalahari

A femme fatale (plural: femmes fatales) (pronunciation IPA: [ˈfam faˈtal], FAHM faTAHL, not the faux French FEHM) is an alluring and seductive woman whose charms ensnare her lovers in bonds of irresistible desire, often leading them into compromising, dangerous, and deadly situations

Foxtrot Oscar he cried as the deadly two femmes go in search of

Aardvarks
2 Amphibians
3 Arthropods
3.1 Insects
3.2 Arachnids
3.3 Crustaceans
3.4 Others
4 Bats
5 Birds
6 Caniforms
6.1 Weasels
6.2 Walruses
6.3 Others
7 Cetaceans
7.1 Whales
7.1.1 Orcas
7.1.2 Others
7.2 Dolphins
8 Feliforms
8.1 Mongoose
8.2 Hyenas
8.3 Others
9 Echidnas
10 Fish
11 Hedgehogs
12 Jellyfish
13 Leptictidia
14 Marsupials
14.1 Kangaroos
14.2 Tasmanian Devils
14.3 Koalas
14.4 Others
15 Mollusks
15.1 Octopi
15.2 Squid
15.3 Others
16 Pigs
17 Primates
18 Reptiles
18.1 Lizards
18.2 Turtles
18.3 Crocodiles
18.4 Dinosaurs
19 Rodents
19.1 Squirrels
19.2 Chipmunks
19.3 Gophers
19.4 Hamsters
19.5 Porcupines
19.6 Beavers
19.7 Others
20 Sponges
21 Starfish
22 Ungulates
22.1 Deer
22.2 Hippopotamuses
22.3 Llamas
22.4 Rhinoceroses
22.5 Moose
22.6 Donkeys
22.7 Zebras
22.8 Giraffes
22.9 Camels
22.10 Others
23 Xenarthrans
23.1 Armadillos
23.2 Anteaters
23.3 Others
24 Chimerical species
24.1 Half-human chimeras

F 
Symbol. 1. the sixth in order or in a series.
2. (sometimes lowercase) (in some grading systems) a grade or mark that indicates academic work of the lowest quality; failure.
3. Music. a. the fourth tone in the scale of C major or the sixth tone in the relative minor scale, A minor.
b. a string, key, or pipe tuned to this tone.
c. a written or printed note representing this tone.
d. (in the fixed system of solmization) the fourth tone of the scale of C major, called fa.
e. the tonality having F as the tonic note.

4. (sometimes lowercase) the medieval Roman numeral for 40. Compare Roman numerals.
5. Mathematics. a. field.
b. function (of).

6. (sometimes lowercase) Electricity. farad.
7. Chemistry. fluorine.
8. (sometimes lowercase) Physics. a. force.
b. frequency.
c. fermi.

9. Biochemistry. phenylalanine.

WE WILL MEET AGAIN BEFORE YOU GO, THE REVENGE OF DREAMERS PINK BOX ALONG WITH HER PEDLARS GSTRING

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Challenge issued Ms Nel is:

You have one of the best Lion close up photographs I have seen

BEAT THAT ON THIS TRIP

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:D Mashona, WarthogB, Gavin, Annalie and Wander :D ,
I know... it's a feverish feeling being :mrgreen: but you are all still kind enough to send good wishes!! Thank you.
Only one of you showing bad signs...Wander :wall: don't get in a Fury now!! :wink:
Our fun will be shared with all :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:29 pm 

Oh yes we do Favour our Mousies :D and our Mousies are going to see to it that we have all the gadgets that we need ...and as long as I have the instruction manual and my specs I will be able to Fathom it out !!!! :wink:

No Spotted Cat, not too many at all..down to three !!!! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What a way to start my day :dance: :dance: Feeling so happy reading all this encouragement :D

:hmz: SimonB6 (I have to admit you have given me a good laugh :wink: )
Spotted Cat wrote:
simonb6 wrote:
:hmz:

simonb6 wrote:
Spotted Cat wrote:
First "F" ..... Fifty bucks?? :wink: :lol:

Not sure about that - if they let the tyres down as usual, they may claim 4 x 50 for flat tyres before they're even at TR!
I'll have to think about this :whistle:

You had better...and while you're at it...think about the other F's as well...... Mousies have be known to pay Fery dearly for their........ :hmz: mistakes :wink:

Oh yes Caracal, SO has given me ALL the manuals...you can read them while I read the sightings books :lol:
Only 2 more Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Femme Fatale's

Was hoping to deliver your going away present before you left and still hope to .............but here is a picture of the gift!!!!

Please treasure it on your trip,

Have a wonderful time, see them all, ( especially your BROWN JOB, BUT plenty of spotties ) give my soul home greetings from me!!
Smile as you know I am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If you get involved with RIVER RAFTING, please be careful
Look forward to the rest of the trip report, hope you finish is before you go again in winter

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:13 am 

Thank you to all you Fabulous Forumites for our welcome home :D
Oh yes 2 Footloose & Fancy-Free Female Forumites are no longer Footloose and Fancy Free :cry: ...but are safe and sound back in Cape Town
We had a Fabulous time and we do have some Fables and Fotos to share with you but it is going to take us a little while to get them organised :roll:
Hopefully I will get the Feats up first so that we can Free some of you from your Fifties :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Till later ...... :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

First things first!! :D :D
Thank you every one for the good wishes and challenges :thumbs_up:
Oh yes...we had a fabulous time but now it's time to first get things sorted at home before spending too much time here :redface:
Our SO's did their fair share while we were having fun in KTP :clap: Also my SO's car was spotless and shiny when we left and I think we had better get it back in order...or else.. we could spoil our chances of another offer in the future :P
Also, our fingers are tired from changing all the F-stops :wink:
Back again soon........

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:57 pm 

Right Fellow Forumites it is time for some of you to part with a Fifty ( myself included) :D :clap:

First up a Fifty for a Four Footed Caracal.

This Caracal was sighted on our First drive out of TR….between Houmoed and the start of the dune road. Dreamer and I spotted it at the same time but we were confused as to what it was in the beginning. It was quite light in colour and fairly small. But once it dawned on us that it was a Caracal we jumped into action. We managed to get these award winning out of Focus Fotos !!! But a Caracal it is…so you owe a Fifty Wirlwind. :D :dance:

Image Dreamer’s Foto

And through the windscreen

Thanks for that Feat Wirlwind :clap: :clap: :clap:

A second Feat presented itself in the kitchen at Kielie Krankie…… in the Form of a Koringkriek. :shock: Dreamer suggested that I get this one over and done with so that I could relax for the rest of the holiday. I stared at that awful looking thing and took a deep breath…..
:big_eyes:

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=lt3 ... C5Dw%3D%3D

So I guess Micetta owes a Fifty as well. :D Fortunately for me there were no bats in our chalets so I did not have to sleep with one watching over me…so you only owe one Fifty Micetta. Thank you for your challenge. :dance: :dance: :dance: ( By the way I still get the shivers when I think of that Koringkriek :big_eyes: )

Our next Feat that we managed was a Foto of a Bat –Eared Fox. Now this was a really difficult Feat…believe it or not. We first came across bat –ears just north of Nossob but Dreamer no sooner spotted it and it disappeared into the long grass. :evil: We spotted bat –ears again just south of Grootkolk. Although they were far away Dreamer managed to get a photo or two as proof. Well done there Dreamer :clap:

Image Dreamer's Fotos

So thank you Pjw :D :D …if you are happy with these photos then you owe a Fifty as well. :clap: :clap:

We very cheekily phoned Wirlwind after we had spotted the caracal and asked him for a second feat. He kindly pledged a Fifty for a Brownie and I noticed Munchkin offered a Fifty for the self same creature as well. Well… thank you Wirlwind and Munchkin :clap: …we had a Brown Hyena walk past our chalet at Grootkolk but between the dark and the long grass….not much opportunity for a photo. :cry: :cry:
We have this tiny bit of blurry video and a totally out of Focus Foto….you can decide whether it is worth a Fifty or not. :wink:

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=lt3 ... 0WNw%3D%3D

The next feat..3 different Felines in one day. This feat we only managed to conquer on our last Full day in the park. We were en route to Urikaruus from Grootkolk.
First up... three lions at Cheleka.

The rest of the day did not bring us anymore cats. :cry: A pity I thought but things took a turn for the better at Urikaruus. :D I was musing, not very happily, :cry: over the fact that it was our last night in the park when I decided to scan the area….I could not believe my eyes when I saw a caracal sauntering along to the waterhole. :D About 1 hr after that our neighbour's spotlight picked up a leopard drinking at the waterhole as well. :D :D No photos of these two cats but we definitely saw three different Felines in one day…so I guess I owe a Fifty as well. :dance:

Thank you Munchkin and Nyala for your offer of a Fifty for a Honey Badger..unfortunately that one we did not manage. :cry: Neither did we see a Felis Lybica nevermind two misbehaving themselves :naughty: so I guess you are off the hook as well BabyNel.
Sadly we did not meet up with any Yellow Ribbons but many visitors asked us about our yellow ribbon . So the best we could do was to convince visitors to check out and join the forum. :D But thank you for your challenge Spotted Cat :clap:

Thank you lorrainepring for your offer of a Fifty for a Fabulous Fast Fleet Footed Fantabulous Feline…the cheetah. We did see a cheetah and two cubs but they sure were fast and fleeted footed alright. :shock: Mom and babes tumbled out of the grass into the road and sped into the grass on the opposite side of the road before we could say Jack Rabbit !!!!. :evil: It was not too far ahead of us but once they were in the grass we could not see them. :cry: That was our only cheetah sighting of the entire trip .

Unfortunately for Sanparks but fortunately for Dreamer I was unable to find a rock monitor for her to Foto without Fainting….next time Dreamer !!!! :wink:

And to quote Mashona
The Challenge issued Ms Nel is:
You have one of the best Lion close up photographs I have seen
BEAT THAT ON THIS TRIP

Well I don’t think I did beat my big daddy lion portrait but I was wondering whether the following Foto of a baby lion might be worth a Fifty to Sanparks ????

I hope I have covered everything...if not please let me know. Thanks again to all the forumites that offered these Fun Feats and thanks for joining Dreamer and myself in raising a few Fifties for Sanparks. :D :D :D

Dreamer & Caracal

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:D :D
Mashona and Pumbaa...
YES, the grass was as long as you imagined!!
This pic may give you an idea

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A couple more pics showing long grass. There are plenty more to come :roll:
Around Nossob Camp

Up North just past Cubitjie Quap ... Can anyone see the 3 Cheetahs that ran into this grass ???

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:39 am 

Thanks again everybody for your comments. :clap:
Yes we were certainly luicky with the caracal sightings :D
Just to let you all know that we have decided not to do a day by day account of our trip report because you may get bored with...we went for a drive and saw some long grass.... because quite frankly that is what happened on many a drive. We will be dividing the report into sections ..Dreamer will do some sections and I will do others but many of them will be combined efforts.
But I really do have to ask for some patience here...Dreamer is quite tied up with a work assignment and I am off to Namibia soon. But we will endeavour to post up if and when we can ....hopefully a bit will appear before the end of the day :D :D :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello :D
Hope everyone is enjoying the last of the long week end. Thought I would pop in quickly and post a few pics of the changes/alterations made at some of the Wilderness Camps.
For those who have not seen pics of the accomodation at Kielie Krankie, Urikaruus, KTC, Grootkolk, Gharagab and Bitterpan you can find some under the individual camp names in the Arid Parks thread.

We had a very pleasant surprise when we arrived at KK and noticed that they have erected shade cloth carports :clap:

KTC seem to have completed quite a few of the alterations to the tents.
The fences and gates around the entrance certainly makes it a lot more relaxing while unpacking your vehicle without too much worry….we have had many a visit from the spotted hyaenas in the past which made unpacking or even getting out of the car impossible!

The wooden doors on the bedroom tent have glass panels and then canvas flaps with zips on the inside so one can still lie in bed and check out the night skies if you unzip the canvas flaps.

Kitchen tent with wooden door and glass and wire mesh window panel.
I understand the reasoning for making the changes but for me personally I preferred the canvas. While preparing food in the kitchen when it was an entire open front, I felt part of the bush and company but with the closed window panel I felt a bit ‘disconneced’. (Just my personal feelings :? )
As I say, something had to be done with the canvas and zips and I am sure they have done the best they possibly could.

Urikaruus Kitchen and Bedroom
Glass windows and door in wooden frames replace the old canvas flaps.
The morning of our departure, contractors arrived with wooden rods and rings which they were fixing to the walls to hang heavy cream curtains. These I am sure will make a huge difference in the heat of summer as well as the cold winter months! Once again,personally, I preferred it the way it was but am sure many others will feel differently. (Just me...don't like a change :redface: )

No pics because no change has taken place yet, but at Grootkolk the ‘kitchen’ areas of the units will be enlarged and have a roof covering and the communal kitchen will be converted in to family unit.

And lastly, not a Wilderness camp but worth mentioning here:
Mata Mata are expanding the camping area as well as building 7 or 8 more chalets. Here you can see the beginnings of the building process in the camping area. The other units are being built on the left hand side of the road as you approach the camp. The entrace will be moved , I understand towards the back where the water tanks are. Not too sure how long this will be going on for, but they were well on their way!

This was just some added info for those who like to be updated...the exciting sightings report will happen as the weeks go by :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:40 pm 

General Overview of the Park

Dreamer and I were in the park from 30 May to 8 April. We spent our first night at TR , then one night at Kielie Krankie. Thereafter two nights at KTC before we moved over to Nossob and Grootkolk spending two nights at each camp. Our last night was spent back along the Auob at Urikaruus.

The weather was splendid with temperatures ranging from 14° to 38.5°. We did not experience any thunderstorms although it looked like it would storm at KTC…but after a few threatening claps of thunder the storm moved away after blessing us with about 6 drops of rain.

Our evenings were magnificent, not a breath of wind at all. The jackets, jeans and beanies stayed in the bottom of our togbags for the entire duration of our stay. :D

As you have all gathered by now the grass is very long in places. The first part of the Auob up to Auchterlonie was not too bad but thereafter the grass just seemed to get longer and longer. It was just about impossible to see anything travelling from Nossob to Grootkolk…probably because the verges are so high to start off with.
Some comparative photos…

Image 14th Borehole on the 30 Dec 2008

Image 14th Borehole on the 2 April

Image Craig Lockhart on the 31 Dec 2008

Image Craig Lockhart on the 2nd April

Image A lioness walking along the Auob on 1 Jan 2009

Image A lioness walking along the Auob on the 8th April

Although the grass did hamper our viewing it does make for a pretty picture and a lot more challenging when it comes to photography. Not only does one have to get the eye and nose of the lion in focus one also has to get the grass up his nose in focus .

Image By the way this young lion was walking in grass..not lying down ! :shock:

There were not many red dunes to be seen along the dune roads but between the grass and the flowers it did make for a spectacular sight.

As it was school holidays the park was busy…but mostly I found the visitors to be well behaved. We did have two scary moments when cars coming around the corner far too fast almost collided with us. Both times Dreamer was driving and I must admit she handle the situation extremely well….but maybe the barrage of words that came out of our mouths is best left out of this report. :big_eyes:

The roads….oh yes let’s not forget about the roads. :roll: Both dune roads were in good condition and made for a very pleasant drive. :clap: The road from Nossob to Grootkolk was an absolute dream :clap: ...thank goodness because our drive up to GK was very barren and I think if the road was badly corrugated as well I would surely have lost my sense of humour.
As for the rest of the roads …shocking to say the least. :big_eyes: I think it is the first time ever that I have really felt sorry for the camera equipment. :cry: All that jarring cannot be good for it. I also felt sorry for the car but the Terracan arrived back in Cape Town with all its nuts and bolts intact. :thumbs_up:
Having said all of that when we were driving over the dune road that connects the Mata Mata road to the Nossob road we met two graders… :clap: just our bad luck that the roads were being graded as we left the park.

All in all we had a stress free time away. No flat wheels, no mechanical problems….my biggest complaint….I never got my roosterkoek that I ordered and paid for in Nossob. :twisted: :evil:

Last edited by Caracal on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next