Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Micetta-SOUTH AFRICAN MAGIC.-December 2008
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It was supposed to be a nice holiday, slightly different from the others, but it turned out to be a wonderfull adventure in a country with natural beauties (included animals) beyond compare.

The first impact with the ferocious animals takes place in the Table Mountain National Park

Link

Link
The view from Table Mountain leaves us breathless and I can still smell the perfume of the yellow flowers.

Link

Cape Point shows itself in a very windy edition but definitely beautiful with the view on Cape of Good Hope and Diaz beach. It is easy to imagine the trouble in which a sailing ship could end up in on a stormy day

Link

On the way back this friend tries to look like the fynbo and succeeds !

Link
This other little guy has found a nice beach for the whole family and lots of friends with kids and grandparents.

Link
Luckily we decide to immotalize this
cheetah because it is the only one we see close enough to recognize it as one. We do not know it yet, though.

Next Sanpark stop is Wilderness National Park. A deliciuos place, Wilderness; Beaches, Lakes, trails and rivers

Link

Doing a trail, all at a sudden, in the middle of nowhere the trail seems to have been washed away; luckily we find this self sevice bush ferry and we can proceed on the other side of the river.

Link
On the way to The Kruger National Park we stop at another park but alas, it is not a Sanpark……..
to be continued.............

Last edited by Micetta on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SOUTH AFRICAN MAGIC.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Crocodile Bridge seems a bit wet. One bridge has almost disapeared under water and the other isn’t too dry either. I wonder which is the new bridge, the one washed away or the one under water!

Link

First Kruger animal while we are having a Full breakfast at 5pm under the trees outside the shop and

Link

a very good one, the breakfast.

At 5am we are on the road and our first sight is waiting not far away: a family of lions. i.e. first only females and grown cubs obviously waiting for something
Link

but what?

For his Majesty of course

Link

He makes a quick count and control and lies down - but by himself - Noblesse oblige!
Link

One of the youngsters looks at him with…. With what? Awe, love, envy?

Link

to be continued..............

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Now, where were we................. Oh yes, we have just left the lions.

Luckily some way from the lions this little impala

Link
and what to me looks like Ecojunkie's Button family :wink:

Link
En passant a nit “chick”

Link
and what I call a vulture tree

Link Their survival is the death of somebody and they are waiting………..

Even if slightly uncombed the eagle is definitely majestic

Link

At this time I crave breakfast but resist. The ntanda nyathi bird hide is not far away but it lasts another ½ hour because giraffes, wildebeasts and warthogs arrive from everywhere

Link

Link nice little yellow flowers in the grass.

Link
and after this one

Link
finally breakfast. :D with view of hippo, at least I think so, it moved!

Link

Link
and a weaver's nest

Link in unstable balance.

Before entering Lower Sabie, a little trip to Sunset Dam with little things

Link

Link
and some big things on the other side of the river

Link – MY FIRST ELEPHANTS – all sizes! :clap:

At Lower Sabie Rest Camp we get a bungalow that urgently needs a fix ( apart from the fridge which looks brand new and takes up half of the space inside!): the A/C is dripping and making an awful noise and not adjustable; the windows in the bathroom and one in the room do not close; Nowhere to hang or put clothes. In order to forget those “minor details” we go and have a look at the famous Deck.
Nice place, nice view, nice lizzard, and a cool drink makes us once again pacify with all Mankind.

Link

At 17:30 we say hello to Martjie and go un a sunset drive with one of the other guides. He is looking for Cheetahs ( some of Tiny’s I bet ) and he finds them, but they are too far away. Even with the binoculars they are two something moving; they could have been lions for all I know!
We meet a couple of elephants and see a rhino in the distance. By now it is twilight and we stop to stretch our legs. All of a sudden a big elephant appears, moving fast and waving his ears. The guide hurries us up in the car, with the pachyderm getting closer and closer sticking out against the darkening sky. The car does start up and we move slowly away only to stop shortly after. This is going to be interesting, I thought, but no! It was only the guide playing hide and seek with a furious elephant and after a couple of stop and gos we leave the ellie and his big ears behind.
Back at the camp we go to the restaurant where we eat some bad food,get terrible service and it is even expensive!
To be continued..........................................

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

anne-marie wrote:
what camera do you used ? :wink:

An "in between" one - Canon Powershot SX10IS - and I still have to study a lot. I do not know the basics!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Next morning the first sighting is a beautiful, this time nicely comed and made up for show off,

Link
Wahlberg’s Eagle, right?

and after a short drive, the highlight of the day, a
herd of hundreds and hundreds buffalos. A sea of brown backs, enormous horns and little evil eyes

Link
crossing the road for at least 10 min.

Link We are looking in silence until one of them turns towards us starting to lower his head; Back gear in and ready to back away, but once again nothing happens, better that way, or no :wink:
All this movement in order to get to their private natural SPA.

Link

A short stop at

Link
yes, Mlondozi picnic site. There are people cleaning, so I hope for a cup of coffee, but there is only hot water, which thinking about it is quite something in the middle of the bush.

A short ride and a darling elephant

Link
scratching himself all over, even behind the ears (laughing I forget to take a photo) against a poor tree watched by family or friends

Link

Link
Even Rhinos get thirsty; impressing! Not that it gets thirsty but the size.

I am so glad that the park has signposted this fantastic tree.

Link

The Majestic Baobab is a delight for the eyes. Happy that we saw it. :D
A pastoral lunch among not quite similars

Link

After having tried to look through water to see what they really look like finally a hippo grassing peacefullyalong the river. Is’nt he/she a beauty :twisted:

Link

This one puts down the diaper while he gets something to eat before arriving at destination!

Link
Does the stork bring the babies also in SA? :wink:

Link
and those two, apart from the looks , what are they good at?

Link

The warthogs are very common but I have never seen one coming out of a hole with the whole family (big, smaller & 4 tiny ones) running after him, they are so fast!

Just one more photo of His Majesty, I could almost touch him.

Link
and a couple of smallies

Link

Link

All things come to an end. This has been a wonderful experience – ARRIVEDERCI a very soon. :yaya:

Link

Wishes do come true now and again, especially if you help them a bit! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dotty wrote:
:clap: So enjoyed your pics Micetta Was the cheetah at Kirstenbosch??

Yes Dotty. :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]