Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bat Eared Butland & Baby Nel-Tsitsikamma& Addo-January 2009
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:35 pm 

Greetings All, trust everyone had a great festive season?!

As I’m sure most of you have picked up on the fact that I am indeed a SanParks virgin and the trip to break me in will be to Tsitsikamma and Addo. My partner in crime will be my SO, Baby Nel. We have decided that we have indeed had enough of the wild life they call city life and will be trading in the “fast” paced Cape Town vibe for the beauty that is the wild outdoors. Myself and Baby Nel (my SO, and by far the better looking one in the couple!!) will be departing at approximately 5am tomorrow, Thursday 8 January 2008. (I have money tied up in a bet that we will not depart at that time but I do believe in wishful thinking?!) With our first stop being Tsitsikamma for two nights then onto Addo for three nights. When I say beauty, it is how these parks have been described to me. So with no further ado I bid you all farewell and look forward to sharing my first experience with all of you!!

Oh, and should you come across us in the Park and want to formally introduce yourselves, please do so! We will be driving a Navy Blue Opel Astra with the traditional yellow ribbon on the mirror. If all else fails, my forum name is pretty accurate and thus just keep an eye out for me and my distinctive ears, they are large!! My SO will have binoculars glued to her head.

Just a final note before we depart, should you hear screaming in the night, perhaps that of which resembles a newborn baby, don’t panic, it’s just me sighting a spider…oops, I mean Baby Nel sighting a spider!!

Thanks and Goodbye :dance: :dance: :dance:

Post subject: Re: The new adventures of Baby Nel and Bat Ears.
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:13 am 

Hi All, hope everyone is good?

Just a quick recap, yes we are home safe and sound. Leaving Addo this morning was a sad experience, I will admit that we did pass through the lower gate with a heavy heart. No persuasion would have been needed to keep us there longer!!

I do promise a trip report within the next few days, I am just getting the final “do” and “don’t” list that governs the forum. Such as is it a “don’t” to brag about seeing the lions four times in three days? Or is it a “don’t” to let everyone know we saw five spotted hyena eating a kill and add a video to prove it? And what is the verdict on “naming and shaming” a certain private (maroon kombi) safari company for exceeding the speed limit as well as making U-turns off the road so that he can show his clients an elephant that was no more that two meters off the road?? Again, with photos to prove.

In the mean time it is off to bed, subconscious will no doubt be planning the next SANParks trip I’m sure!!

Chat soon.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:21 pm 

Hi all, I trust everyone is well and settling into the New Year?
As promised, here follows our much anticipated trip report, please have patience with us as this is the first such write up we have done! We will start with Tsitsikamma, allow a few days to digest and then start with Addo.
** Please note ALL photos were taken by Baby Nel and Myself.**
Day One:
Anyway, where do I start? Maybe the beginning would be a great idea?! Right, so it was Thursday morning, unfortunately I was correct, our departure was delayed, however I can report that I was half to blame for the delay. None the less, we were underway at 5:05am, the temperature a moderate 19 degrees.

After a long yet beautiful drive which included many stops we arrived at a place that may not be mentioned to stroke the “gentle giants” of the animal kingdom. This was arguably one of the most humbling experiences of my life, they are huge and by standing next to them, one does feel rather insignificant.
After a short stop at the above “non” mentioned place it was off to Tsitsikamma and the Storms River Mouth Rest Camp.

We arrived at around 14:30pm to a mild 24degrees with little to no wind. First task, check in and find our Forest Hut. Second task, unpack the car! Once settled it was time to explore the camp site. We took a lovely stroll along the board walk and over the suspension bridge. Note to self for future reference, when you get to the sign indicating 900m to go, they lying!
Upon our return from our wonderful adventure, we came across a couple of dassies who were having a lovely sun bathe. Returning from the showers I came across two bush buck, I presume a mother and her child. They were pretty tame and allowed myself and Baby Nel to photograph them from up close, I would say at least two feet away!
While we were caught up by the excitement that was animal spotting we were distracted by a rather strange bird call, almost like a pig snort!! It was the infamous Knysna Loerie.
For me this was the closest to a Loerie I had ever been. Well that’s if you exclude the replica statues they were handing out as prizes at a Cycle Race where I was fortunate enough to sit right next to the awards table…
Once all had calmed down it was time to supervise Baby Nel in the kitchen, watch the amazing sunset and sleep.This would draw to a close a near perfect day. Although if I can have a single moan, it would have to be about the amount of road kill we saw en route, the range was from a porcupine to various species of bird! I think it’s time to introduce animal awareness driving campaigns, what are the general thoughts?!!

Last edited by Bat Eared Butland on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:42 pm 

Day Two:
Our second morning got off to a slight delay, it’s amazing how, when one is away from the hectic and busy world, time came fly by?! We only managed to get out of bed at about 9am, I would like to blame the surrounding monkeys for switching off our alarms?!! After a wonderful breakfast on our little balcony it was time to hit the beaches and see what we could do for the day?! First stop was the dive hut just below the restaurant where we managed to book a wonderful boat ride up the Storms River. This would be a new experience especially as the boat is all of three weeks old.
While we sat at the restaurant waiting for our turn on the boat we had a second breakfast, a scone (arguably the biggest in the Southern hemisphere) and sipped on a coke. Soon it was time for our boat trip, as Baby Nel photographed the views and determined the route the boat would follow, I concentrated on keeping my scone in my tummy, and yes sea sickness is one of my many talents! Shortly after 11am we were off, heading out beyond the breakwaters at 60km/h, spray hitting us in the face!! The captain, whom I must compliment for his outstanding boating skills, turned a sharp right and lined us up the river mouth. Before we could blink we were heading flat out towards the Suspension Bridge but just like a mini bus taxi approaching a full taxi rank, we slammed on the breaks, this was the moment I thought my scone was going to come say good morning!!
This is on the way out the mouth

We literally went from 60km/h to 6km/h as we gently idled up the river taking in the awesome sights. Again the boat captain/ tour guide must be complimented on his skills as he explained the rust on the rocks, where the boat is stored over night as well as the story behind the bat cave. We were given 5mins to sit and observe the surroundings and take pics before it was time to head out to beyond the breakwater at speed, this time into the wind allowing the boat to get more air and bigger spray!!
Idling up the River
The rust
White Breasted Cormorent

After our wonderful river cruise we decided to take a drive out the park and visit the Storms River Bridge. That didn’t really appeal to us so before we knew it we were back in the Park and on a trail, the Waterfall Trail. What started off as a peaceful and simple hike soon turned tricky as we had to negotiate many rocks en route. I will admit, once we arrived at the Waterfall all the pain from falling over rocks, hitting the head on branches and stubbing of the toes went away!
Baby Nel did brave the cold as she took a dip in the wonderful rock pool that had formed below the waterfall. I was unfortunate enough to forget my swimming trunks in the car. After a good half hour or so and a bite to eat it was time to negotiate our way back. Tricky does not begin to describe how difficult this hike was. We were however complimented for our skills in overcoming the obstacle ridden 6.8km route with just slipslops on!!
A lizard en route
As we were ready to hop in the car and drive back to our Forest Hut we came across three bush buck enjoying a wonderful late afternoon nibble.
After a good few minutes taking pics it was time to be off to the next adventure. From the Waterfall Trail it was time for the Loerie Trail but not before changing our shoes, we had learnt our lesson. Again we had an amazing hike but true to those that know us, we went the wrong way round the trail. Never the less it was still amazing! We had a look at the new look out deck that has been built, it truly was amazing!!
Unfortunately the only sighting we had for that half of the day was a locust and many Dassies!
It was then back to the hut to shower and head to the restaurant for a wonderful meal. The restaurant was great, the view amazing and the food just as awesome!!
Once done with our meal it was time to head home and sleep, Saturday was the day I was looking forward to the most, Addo!!

Just a quick thumbs up to all the staff and crew that made my first SANParks experience a true dream! From the reception staff and their warm welcome to the cleaning staff that always ensured that our “home” was neat, the kitchen and bathrooms always clean and the crew that helped us at the restaurant and on the boat ride. Truly amazing and a job well done guys and girls!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:35 pm 

And so continues our journey....

Day Three:
Day three had arrived, we managed to get up and out of bed by 7:30am, the goal to depart by 9am. Job well done in that we were on the road by 8:30!

It was now time to wish Tsitsikamma a farewell. After a lengthy drive we arrived in P.E, the proverbial friendly city of South Africa to do some last minute shopping for Addo, with the car now loaded up with Braai meat, cold drinks, chips and fire lighters we were on our way! After a short yet boring drive we knew we were fast approaching our much anticipated destination, the Addo South Gate. After receiving our map and permit we were in the park. After a literal stones throw knew we were in for a great time as we watched a bushbuck gracefully jump its way across the road just meters in front of the car, a mom and baby hartebeest graze on a nearby hill, and a few warthog digging for roots. Just a quick question I am dying to ask, what part of the 40km/h speed limit do some drivers not understand?
Anyway, we were now a few hundred meters through the gate, watching one of the above mentioned “people” speed off when our second official sighting occurred. A leopard….. ah before you all get excited and jealous it was only a leopard tortoise followed by a Guinea Fowl!
For me this was amazing but five hours later we had realized there wasn’t a shortage of these cute creatures within the park. There were hundreds of them! Just over one of the many hills en route to the Rest Camp we came across a solitary elephant. He was pretty big and literally two meters off the road!!
Now excited and revering to go, aim being to unpack and get back on the road we made our way to the rest camp…(this done well within the speed limit I might add!!) It wasn’t long before we came across another Hartebeest, Kudu and more Warthogs.
After about an hour in the park we came across Spekboom Hide, for me this was truly amazing and almost Jurassic Park like with the electric fence keeping the wild out…or in depending on what your view of wild animals are?! We were lucky enough to see more elephants and a resident Spotted Thick Knee sitting on its nest.

a lizard seen in the hide

After a few minutes and plenty photos it was time to carry on the journey to Rest Camp but not before doing the Mpunzi Loop. We had turned left and within a split second were forced to stop…reason?! A herd of elephants on the road, yes some with babies! It was simply amazing to be so close to these breathtaking giants! I mean we had the pleasure of being up close with them at the place not to be mentioned on day one but now seeing them in the wild almost made them seem bigger, more powerful?!!

After getting our breath back we continued but not long before stopping at Hapoor Dam to view my newly developed favourite animals splashing and playing in the mud!! After twenty more minutes of watching dumbo and his brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles playing we headed on our way again, this time towards Rooidam were we came across fornicating tortoises!

We finally reached The Rest Camp, handed in our green disk and headed to reception to get our keys for our house for the next three days. Once checked in we headed to our Safari Tent, unpacked the car, booked a night drive for the next night (some might say our eagerness is a downfall?) and checked out the shop we headed out on an afternoon drive.
“Mr Gateman” checked our pass, handed us a new red token and watched us head on our way, destination…Carols Rest! I think he could see our excitement?!! First spotting was a Kudu, we were slowly starting to realize there was by no means a shortage of these guys either?! Next up was a Jackal, this guy from a distance though!! Thumbs up to Baby Nel for the spotting him, it shows eating your carrots pays off kids!! It wasn’t long before we came across a grazing Eland.
Luckily enough we managed to snap a pic before he disappeared into the bush.
As we were approaching Carols Rest, in the base of one of the valleys next to a huge thorn bushes we came across a Hoopoe and a Fork Tailed Drongo who were being kept busy by a couple of Vervet Monkeys, “blou balle” (blue balls) very eye catching I must admit! After a few quick snaps it was time to get to Carols Rest.
Once there we were blessed enough to see Elephants, Warthogs, Crows, Ibis, Hartebeest and a tortoise.
By the time we had finished watching all the action it was fast approaching 18:30 and the thought of being locked outside with hungry lions and spiders soon made up our minds to head back to camp. This we successfully managed to do and with a half hour to spare! Once in and home it was time to shower and get the braai (barbeque for the foreigners) ready for dinner. My fire, I must admit was a slight disaster as it took a half box of fire lighters to get the wood burning. I think in order to save my reputation I am going to tell you all that the wood was wet…After dinner, which turned out to be pretty decent, it was up to the waterhole to have a quick look before returning to our Safari Tent to sleep. Unfortunately the waterhole was quiet and the only sighting was the deadly scary bird of prey…the infamous Egyptian Goose!!! Baby Nel did utilize a spot light and saw a couple of Spring Hares. At around 22:30 it was time for bed but not before doing a thorough spider check!!!

Last edited by Bat Eared Butland on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:59 pm 

Day Four: Part One;

Day Four had arrived, this was pretty evident as we were awoken by our alarms at 5:30am, well in the perfect world that’s how I imagined it happening! True events that occurred included Baby Nel jumping up and about at 4:30am as she had the urge to go back to the waterhole, I think the excitement of the Egyptian Goose drew her back? Never the less, 5:55am arrived and we were at the gate awaiting the arrival of “Mr Gateman”. He was there and ready to let us in at 6:01am! First sighting was another Hoopoe followed by a bunny and an unfortunate Kudu. She was dead. Reason was a breached baby resulting in a fatal birth for both mother and child. My very excited mood very quickly turned sad! About thirty minutes into our heavy heart drive and plenty dodging of Dung Beetles we came across a lonely Spotted Hyena. We followed this animal for a good couple of minutes trying to get photos but he/she was not up for the paparazzi and chose a more elusive route to his/her destination.

We then came across a snail, some of you might be thinking “oh wow, not a snail!!” however this must have been the single biggest snail I have ever seen, honestly this thing was huge!!
We continued on but not long before coming across a Dung Beetle rolling his morning work of art across the road. My stomach sore from laughing, we decided to continue towards Spekboom Hide.

En route we saw a Yellow Mongoose returning from its morning stroll. We reached Spekboom however due to the misjudgment of my fuel tank, we needed to return for a quick top up of juice. It wasn’t long before we were back at Spekboom and just beyond where we were staring mouths wide open at five lions including two lionesses and three cubs. Suddenly my misjudgment seemed like a blessing!! After about forty five minutes of watching and photographing these queens and future heirs of the jungle we continued towards Marion Baree Waterhole.

Upon our return we noticed plenty excitement coming from Spekboom Hide. Obviously we had to get out and investigate. This turned out to be a good idea as we saw a lone Buffalo who had been chased down to the waterhole by the one or both of the lionesses.

After a few minutes we decided to get underway again. This time our objective was to view the new picnic site in an attempt to get information for all those who haven’t seen it yet. The new site is pretty amazing. There are plus minus twenty picnic spots with a built in braai facilities as well as a table. The bathrooms are new and according to Baby Nel very modern, tastily decorated, clean and attractive inside. To sum up, she had a very pleasant nature call. After admiring the latest work of art we decided to head to Carols Rest.

This time via the Zuurkop route. We came across another lone Buffalo but were lucky enough to be a road above him so out of harms way. On the decent from Zuurkop we came across a few more Kudu and possibly a bushbuck but with no photograph it’s hard to prove. Once at Carols Rest we saw an elephant who was giving a thirsty warthog a good shower every time the piggy moved in for a drink.
Soon the solitary elephant became two then three finally ending in four. They were joined by three more grazing buffalo, a warthog with babies and a jackal.
Just around the corner we saw two Zebra enjoying breakfast.
After a quick coffee it was time to head back to the Rest Camp to recharge and prepare for our afternoon and night drive. Soon after leaving Carols Rest and a shared joke with Baby Nel about cars getting squashed by a wandering elephant Mr Murphy and his law struck us. We ground to a halt as not one but five elephants came wandering towards us! The advice from Caracal now echoing in my head I came to a complete stop and put my trust in the elephant’s ability to make a decision not to trample us. They all started on their side of the road but not long before they changed their direction and headed straight for us. They all waited to the very last second before veering off past us. I am not exaggerating when I say they were millimeters from my wing mirror, I am sure the yellow ribbon tickled their legs. It was at this moment I thought of crying for my mommy and possibly changing my shorts?!

After a few minutes and plenty deep breathes we continued on our way back to the Rest Camp.
Once in the Rest Camp it was lunch time. This we decided to do at the restaurant and again we were pleasantly treated to a great meal with excellent service!

Last edited by Bat Eared Butland on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:06 pm 

14:30 fast approached and our alarms woke us up. With the cooler box full it was time to head out for PART TWO:

No sooner had we exited the gates did we come across a couple more Yellow Mongooses and a large bird. We think it was a Juvenile Jackal Buzzard (please let us know your opinions?).

After a few pics we continued on our journey and found another piggy plus three babies.

Continuing on we found another bushbuck being kept company by yet more Kudu.

We spotted another elephant herd close to Hapoor Dam. This drive turned out to be a little quieter than the morning so we headed home in anticipation for our night drive.
7PM arrived, tummy’s full again from another wonderful meal made by Baby Nel, and it was time to head to the booking hut to board our vehicle. We got there early in order to book a horse ride for our last morning as well as ensure we got a great seat on the ranger vehicle. 19:15 arrived and after a role call we were invited onto the vehicle and briefed on the “do’s” and “don’ts” of game driving. Soon we were off and through the gates with Jacque as our guide and Mr Jackson the driver. First sighting a Kudu…surprise surprise. Jacque gave us a very in-depth lesson on the Kudu then instructed us to continue. Soon after taking the Carols Rest road we came across a single Hyena preparing itself for a night of hunting. Again, Jacque giving us all a very informative lesson on the Hyena and telling us that the female hyena is in fact a hermaphrodite (both gender parts) hence the reason for referring to them as he/she’s in this report.
Soon after continuing on our journey Jacque showed us all a warthog that could only be described as “lost”. We also came across another Think Knee. Once at Carols Rest we saw three very lazy lions. Well one male and two females. They were very well fed and out for the night. After a few minutes and much hoping they would stand up and give us a show we returned to the route around the back of Carols Rest, direction Gorah Pan. I think this route was chosen in an attempt to spot the rhino but no such luck. Jacque showed us an empty tortoise shell and explained the diversion tactics of the Crowned Plover and hopping of a Scrubhare. Later on he spotted a porcupine but we were too late in seeing it. It must be his experience and knowledge that gave him the edge. Now almost two hours into our drive we were closing in on the camp and spotting plenty of Spring Hares, a jackal, a Duiker and obviously Kudu. We returned to camp at about 21:30. The night drive was definitely one of the best experiences we’ve have ever had. Jacque and Mr Jackson were simply brilliant!! Just before heading to bed it was shower time and a quick glance out at the waterhole, unfortunately again to no avail.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:48 am 

Day Five: Part One:

Again we were awoken by our alarms at 5:30am, mission to be in the car and at the gate by 6am. This we managed to do and with time to spare!! Surprisingly our first morning sighting was a Kudu closely followed by a Duiker and then a Hyena. He/she was taking a dip at the Woodlands Waterhole.
No sooner had we taken a photo did we see four jackal on the other side of the road. This alerted our attention to the now very dead Kudu who was being devoured by Five Hyena. We quickly joined the queue of onlookers hoping to get a top quality photograph which Baby Nel did to perfection. Noticing the Kudu buffet was a little spectator full we decided to carry on our drive.

As we drove off we did see a kombi pull up and open its doors wide open. What was funny was that while they faced the kill another hyena was standing behind them. If only he/she was hungry there could have been an interesting second buffet?! Heading on now our objective was to get to Carrols Rest in an attempt to see the lions. We got to Carrols Rest just before 7am. As we were nearing the viewing Cul-de-sac we saw more monkeys, ostriches, a hartebeest and seven zebra.

Baby Nel again using her youthful eyes to perfection spotted the previous nights lions in the mirror, they were on the hill behind us. We made our way towards the top of Carrols Rest and found a lovely viewing point to watch the lions. This we did for almost forty five minutes while we sipped on tea and ate rusks.

Returning from Carrols Rest we decided to take a drive to Marion Baree Waterhole. We saw a Common Duiker en route.

At Marion we saw two more Buffalos and a huge elephant.

Driving back we stopped at Hapoor where we saw elephants splashing and playing in the mud. We decided we were done for the morning and decided to return back to camp but via the Kudu buffet where we were lucky enough to see a jackal having its turn to nibble.

We returned to Rest Camp at 10:30 but were greeted at the gate by a snake in the tree.

Once done with the snake we headed to our Safari Tent for a bite to eat and a sleep.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:21 am 

We were woken at about 2pm for our afternoon drive. Part Two:

Our afternoon drive got off to a slow start as it was a scorching day, temperatures a massive 35degrees! We were however fortunate to see another Hartebeest, a couple of ostriches and a Heron.

As the afternoon was turning out to be very quiet we headed for our “old faithful” Carrols Rest. True to form we saw more Zebra, Elephants, Ostriches, mom and baby piggys and a tortoise taking a swim.

Heading to the top of Carrols Rest in an attempt to see the lions from the morning drive, we saw a rather questionable safari tour. This idiot (there is no other way to describe him) was driving on the grass, at least three meters off the road in an attempt to get closer to a lone elephant so that he could take a pic. This elephant was only a few meters off the road as it was but no, he had to drive over the spot that was home to Crowned Plovers and their chicks the night before! I would love to name the tour company in the hope that he loses business but I am not sure what the ruling is on naming and shaming?

What was worse was that we had a couple more encounters with this guy later as he was constantly speeding in the park, throwing up clouds of dust and shooting stones at cars!!
We stopped at hapoor to watch the elephants and this little guy decided to join us.

We decided to head back to camp and on our way saw a Jackal Buzzard, Yellow Mongooses and three Jackals at the buffet.

Once back at the camp it was time to prepare for another braai. The failure of my first attempt still fresh in my mind I got started straight away. This time with much more success! We were off to bed early as our final morning approached. But not before another quick run up to the waterhole in a last ditch attempt to spot the Rhino…again to no avail.
We did however enjoy our final sunset in the park.

Last edited by Bat Eared Butland on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:41 am 

Day Six:
We awoke at 7am on our last morning, packed up and headed to the drive booking office to pay for our horse trail ride. Once paid for we handed our keys in at reception and headed down to the stables where we met up with our guide and the horses. The horses were sharing their breakfast with the resident vervet monkeys. We got saddled up, mounted our horses and headed out. After a short dismount and transfer through a tunnel we remounted and were off. First spotting was a warthog followed by an Eland and some Zebra. We also spotted Hartebeest, Kudu and Elephant from a far. According to the guide we were very lucky to see the Elephants as we were in the private viewing area. After two hours on the horse we returned to the stables but not before our guide decided to treat us to a trot. It was then that I realized why I am not a jokey?! We got back to the stables, headed back to the car but first freshened up. We approached the gate for our final time.
sign before leaving the gate
We first headed to Hapoor where we saw between 150 and 200 elephants playing. We sat there for almost 45mins before leaving to go past Spekboom.

After a brief look at the Hide we headed towards Marion Baree and the bottom gate. As we rounded the corner we came across another two lionesses. One was a foot off the road while the other a little further back. Unfortunately we didn’t see the cubs or the big male but this was a fitting way to end our trip.

At Marion Baree we saw another small herd of elephants.

We headed towards the bottom gate. After an hour or so we exited Addo Elephant National Park. The welcome gates getting small in my rear view mirror I was hit by a heavy heart. It was at that point that Baby Nel and I decided we would be returning in the very near future!
And so ended my first SANParks experience. I must say thanx to all the staff at both National Parks for their outstanding jobs!! I hope you all enjoyed our first trip report and we look forward to sharing our experiences with you all!!
Cheers for now…

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:09 pm 
Guru
Guru

Bat Eared Butland wrote:
We were woken at about 2pm for our afternoon drive. Part Two:
Heading to the top of Carrols Rest in an attempt to see the lions from the morning drive, we saw a rather questionable safari tour. This idiot (there is no other way to describe him) was driving on the grass, at least three meters off the road in an attempt to get closer to a lone elephant so that he could take a pic. This elephant was only a few meters off the road as it was but no, he had to drive over the spot that was home to Crowned Plovers and their chicks the night before! I would love to name the tour company in the hope that he loses business but I am not sure what the ruling is on naming and shaming?
What was worse was that we had a couple more encounters with this guy later as he was constantly speeding in the park, throwing up clouds of dust and shooting stones at cars!!

Hi BEB and BN,
Love your trip report :clap:

Please could you - or anyone else who has seen the same incident - let me know who the tour operator is (name of the company) as this is definitely something we can take up to prevent it happening again. SANParks has the right to ask people disobeying the rules to leave the Park and can ban people from the Park if they repeatedly transgress rules.

What's also frustrating about this incident is that the vegetation is so dry at the moment...this tour operator's vehicle tracks will remain visible for a long time or until we get some rain and grass growth :x

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]