Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Unforgetable half-day escape!
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:43 pm 

15 November 2008

IMPORTANT NOTICE
This TR contains pics and written language of NSVL. So, it's not 4 the sensitive reader and Parental Guidance is compulsory. :twisted: (joki)

A GREAT START
It is a special day for us - being in our recycling years and still have the opportunity 2 enjoy this wonderful park…. :D

What makes this day more special, is that it's SO’s birthday….. 8)

So, I’ve decided 2 put the cherry on the cake, by not doing the usual thing this year (inviting everybody 2 a nearby restaurant 4 champagne breakfast) but instead take SO for a quikie-of-a-brunch to Kraalbaai picnic spot in WCNP. :D

4 me - the perfect venue 2 celebrate SO's 55 birthday - the WCNP. :dance:

Did I mention that SO is 55 2day? … :twisted:

...oh yes I did…. :doh: ... and it need to be mentioned that SO doesn’t look a day older than 55. :twisted: (hie). ‘mites – especially the Cape mites – plse don’t tell that I revealed this clandestine info 2 you. :pray:

If SO finds out - I'm a dead Jackal. :lol: (joki)

Right, with all my ‘male duties’ finalized at dawn hiehieee :naughty: :naughty: it was time to pack our Double Cab (Rhino).

CHECKING THE WEATHER
Sunny. Clear skies. Light South-westerly breeze. 20 degrees celsius. Perfecto recipe for a fabulous day. So, why not join me with this TR and have FUN as we ‘cruise’ the WCNP.

THE TRIP
07:45: Both Rhino and us were geared for an exciting day – and off we went. :P

07:58 On my way to the Langebaan entrance of the park – I already started to anticipated what our first sighting might looks like. :hmz: My creative brain came up with this ‘image’ …. :naughty: (PLSE don’t tell this either 2 SO). :pray:

Back on the road, after nearly turning the vehicle over- the frightened awakening party of 2(SO and I) were looking at this GREAT VIEW of the lagoon. 8)

Our first sighting was these guys which do not need any introduction. Just 4 interest sake ... did you know that the female Ostrich eats her first egg that she lays when breeding.

We passed Seeberg bird hide due 2 limited time - still had 2 braai ...

a nice 2 know wrt 2 birding in the park
More than 50 000 birds fly from Europe/Russia to spend the summer in WCNP lagoon. 8) Andre Kruger, Forum Chairperson of the WCNP and Birders Club Langebaan said that nearly 300 species of birds/ waders are found in the WCNP. WOW!!! :big_eyes:

Seeberg view point. This lookout was used 2 forewarn the garrison of arriving ships. Stunning views from this look out!! You must come and see 4 yourselves!!

On our way 2 Geelbek we spotted Steenbok, Yellow billed Kite, Pied Crow, Cape Francolin, Black Harrier . Unfortunately 2 far and 2 fast 4 pictures. :redface: :cry: (Blame it on artiritis fingers).

However, the Black Harrier - a moerse bonus!! Only about 1000 breeding pairs globally.

After the turn off to Geelbek restaurant and Info centre on y'r right hand side we spotted these 'cuties' (apparently breeding) in their nests. (Grey Heron) 8) 8)

and a egg lost to the nest ...

Also towards Geelbek, you will notice that the vegetation on y'r left hand side TOTALLY differs from the rest of the park. It is not indiginous 2 the WCape but more 2 the highveld areas in GP.

At Geelbek you can see a copy of Eve's footprint. :hmz: :hmz: Another starting point of 1 of the 3 Bird Hides in the WCNP.

Look at this GREAT accommodation!! Duinepos. It is a local community based project. All cabins have been built with 'sandbags' being plastered afterwards. :dance: :dance:

Arriving at Abrahams Kraal waterhole we saw some Sacret Ibis. ( No pics AGAIN!! SORRY) It was also time to quench our thirst and 2 make a toast ...
met ys ja, met ys Foreign 'mites - this is a joki on an TV add in 'Saffie - land' :dance: :dance:

... to be continued!

Last edited by The Jackal on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Unforgetable half-day escape!
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We stayed at Duinepos 2 years ago and very nice little cottages.Is the swimming pool new because it wasn't there when we were there.
You've read my tr and now it's my turn! :twisted: (Joki)

Post subject: Re: Unforgetable half-day escape!
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:35 pm 

My Halloween moment…… No treats 4 me 4 the rest of the day. :shock: :wink:

Did you know that with every km travelled within the WCNP y’r actually getting younger? …. Well, neither did I…

I’m hardly ever the romantic type, but try 2 behave when it is SO’s birthday – a true ‘honey pot’. After a toast on SO’s 55th - SO kindly informed me on my miscalculation. SO is indeed 45. …… and still doesn’t look a day older than 55. :twisted: :naughty: ….

The ambience at the waterhole was incredible 8) . We just sat quietly and listened how nature was doing the talking. :roll:

Well this something ‘sparkling’ came 2 my rescue.
VImage

Jip, I told you guys this TR contains scenes of VIOLENCE. These 2 blokes (Angulate tortoises) were fighting in slow motion next 2 the road.

Amazing views from Atlantic view point. If you are facing the sea, plse look 2 y’r left. On a clear day you will be able 2 see Table Mountain National Park. Great stuff!! Be on the lookout – in season 4 the whales. :clap:

Jan Pierewiet was also crossing the road. True 2 it's nature, this common puff adder was in no ‘hurry’ 2 make itself scarces when we approached it.

Tsaarbank. From, where this pic has been taken, you will see the remains of the tanker, Pantelis a Limos on your left, which stranded on the West Coast in 1970.

Kraalbaai and the FIRST fort build on the edge of the ‘peninsula’. (Previously known as Oudepost). VAN RIEBEECK has stationed a small garrison of the VOC at this point. This fort is older than the Castle of Good Hope.

Then it was time 4 that brunch braai. The day became hotter and families arrive 2 kayak, enjoy the beach and water sports available.

Great Veld Cinerraria

The Cancer Bush – interesting stuff – this plant has pharmacheutical uses.

This can only be the Bugu Bush!

This 'burnt grass" is actually a 'spear shaped' restio - unique 2 this area. They are fed by fresh water springs - currently being used by Geelbek information centre and rstaurant 4 fresh water supplies

As a farewell ‘gift’ 4 SO, this Yellow Billed Kite proudly circled above Rhino before disappearing.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2a8ka9y&s=4

It was again with great regret that we had 2 leave the WCNP at apprx 15:00. Still had 2 prepare 4 2night’s function.

CONCLUSION
Hope that this SANPS of unlimited enchantments has lived up 2 y’r senses. Her mysterious beauty will surely stay with you …

So, next time you want 2 -get-a-way from the city, visit the WCNP and experience her charm which is only unique 2 this part of the country.

Thank you 4 ‘cruising’ with us.

TJ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]