Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Scipio-KTP here we come...September 2008
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We are off to KTP in a few days(Hours). A first for my family, maybe I only show you the spoor of a gemsbok. The tale is coming......

Post subject: Re: Been forced into a trip report-KTP here we come...
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hiya Guys & Gals, cut the trip short foor work but, I have so much to tell. I want to just have all of you around a campfire...... 8) KTP has changed my life & I don't know if it is the small folk or the big roaring lions. Maybe it is just the dunes or the "pink" sunset. Report is following in a few hours. Just would love to be there now. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Let's just start off with the lesser important. We really wanted to see Kalahari lion, well we did, too many. The cheetah was good, LIT was lazy. That is only the beginning of the story. WOW, what a trip. I will be downloading some really good stuff. But then maybe not so good for some? KTP has opened her heart to us, showing more than the cats,

Sometimes cruel, sometimes hard, but always pure.........

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all you patient peeps... the short cut to Scipio's ear is here and ready to push for the report!!! :o

Seriously though we had an awesome time and can't wait to tell you all about it. Scipio is busy going through the 896photos we took to get the best ones lined up for you. :)

Patience is a virtue and will be rewarded soon!! :P :P

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well, it all started with a chat to a fellow forumite, (Hi BB). As I was the ony one in the family to see the KTP(KGP then) we started planning, filling the water cans at home.

Dani, my 5yr, old could not wait. We decided to go via Hotazel, Vanzylsrus & sleep over in Askham before entering the park. The 200km's took us the whole day, just enjoying the Green Kalahari.

The Kids just before, amongst others, this one....

The next day, well, it was our first in KTP & what a day, 8) Club LIT, not bad for a short drive.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Annalie, will post a bit today still, BB, the red sand you were talking about is calling me back. Nossob was unreal, rarely moved more than 10km's out north & south. At night the Ghecko Choir soothed the soul.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well, as thaught the first sighting was Springbok, this little one was the only one not scattering in all directions.

It was sad to see all the vehicles speeding to iron out the bad corrugated road. We decided that we will not exceed 30Km's/h. We rarely made 20km's/h. Suddenly we started seeing a lot of game, stuff like this little guy, munching on a supposedly poisonous plant. 8)

This descision opened up some of the most interesting sightings for the trip. 3 Very Dangerous raiders on a nest sometime at the end of our trip.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Will start posting from Day 1 today, anne-marie, that was one of a much spoken about group on the forum, all of them crossed the road in front of us making me spill my beer (Drinking & driving :redface: ) all over my lap trying to get to the camera. :doh: Following on day one, Afternoon drive with Lion, LIT, & some more. :shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

OK, we had to go to Mata Mata tomorrow. I decided that a short little ride would be sufficient for now as the long trek tomorrow will need fresh bodies. Well, it took us only 6 hours to get to Kij Kij & back.. 8)

This is some of the smallfry we saw, really enjoyed the birs as well.

These lazy fellow only came later a Kij Kij, but it turned out not the last cat for the first day.

This pride was part of some interesting developments later on.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just before we get to the other cat, this picture shows Manny, (Named after the mammoth in Ice Age), with six people, 100litres of water & some gear. We took the folks along & boy, they can pack. Before loading them we had a tent, tv tray, Gazebo & portable braai with a freezer filled with meat & the tools we always carry. :twisted: After we had 3 tents 3 tables, a queensized bed, all kinds of little boxes we never opened during the trip.....Just in Case. :shock:

The loading was a science project. :roll:

Last edited by Scipio on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry for the slow start guys, Work :evil: . Not planning to work this weekend & will post more. lp Everything did fit in & in the park we loaded all ontop. :shock: It di become a bit easier as we ate our way through the heaps of snacks. (& the beer rations got depleted too :twisted: )

Well, to end of our first day at KTP, we found this guy at the Samvloeing. Not at all worried about the zillions of vehicles around.

On the positive, we rarely found any bad behaviour from tourists in KTP with people out the windows etc. :lol: But with me not totally interested in cats laying aroung doing nothing I saw a lot around these sightings. :hmz:

Wel this "attitude" as the SO called it did lead to, what in my mind is a Fantastic series of shots on day 3. Maybe that is also why we saw Lion with an assortment of other cats sometimes more than once a day

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi guys, well, the second day we are on our way to Mata Mata. We decided that at 20k's/hr we should do it before lunchtime. :doh: Early start & we started looking for anything, we have not seen some of the most awesome sightings yet.

This was the first of many Gemsbok that did not run away at the sight of a car. Then we saw our first qutie of the morning, Brants Wistling rat, then the second.

And the ones hunting them, this "Singvalk" was trying to get to some of the goodies around but got nothing.

This was about when the snakes took over, with a few birds sprinkled in between. Oh yes, & the cats....

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Guys, sorry for being so slow, got about 6 months work to do before I leave JHB, I want to leave end of November. :evil: ww, the spotted tree stayed like that till dark. Very Lazy fellow.

Well, one of the things that is a must see was "Meerkat". we saw our first bunch foraging at Aughterlonie.

This Bee eater was the first of many, not as bright as the carmine but still goodlooking.

BTW, I took so may pics & am not posting all of them but will post a series at the end.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wish I could take pictures like DQ CC, Spook, the meerkatte was foraging but not any firworks. I walked next to the fence in Mata Mata & saw the Ground Squirrels teazing a 2 meter Cobra later in the day, ran towards the car to get my camera but the Cobra had enough & went down one of the holes.

Did see this one on the road. The first of many cobras.

That evening we saw this caleidescope of colors.

Thanks Dotty, just sitting under a tree waiting for a lion to wake up, I had some good sightings, tomorrow was one of the best, made by a parents' commitment.

Day two was ended yet again by some cats.

I found the Kalahari lions more intense than the kruger boys (When awake). The next morning was the best yet..

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Day 3 three started well, we were on our way to "14de Boorgat". We wanted to see if our lions are still there, well the rest of the party. I was just enjoying the drive.

The first good sigthing for us was this Tawny Eagle.

We found the three youngsters at the same place in the morning. While waiting to see if they will be up to something we spotted Mom, dad & the little one. He was learning to fly.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next