Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo charms Hawk and DB - again!!!
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:01 pm 

Last weekend it was my turn for HR duty at Addo, so early on Friday morn SO and I hitched our caravan and set off at a leisurely pace to Addo. Soon we had the 300kms behind us, and we were entering the gate to the main camp. No matter how many times I enter a SANPark, the thrill of entering a Park is just as intense as it always ever has been.

The guys at the Addo gate are so friendly - hats off to them for always managing a broad welcome smile, no matter how many cars have already been through the gate that day :clap:

And the same for the reception staff. I have done some time behind the counter there ... it amazes me how they make it sound like you are the first person they are telling which way to your accommodation when meanwhile you are number 200 probably. And of course, they greet you like you are the first and only customer of the day! :clap:

The weather over the weekend was really cold! However, our spirits were not dampened! The sun tried hard to break through the clouds many times. Addo does seem in urgent need of rain though. I have not seen the veld there quite so dry. The water holes and dams did have good levels of water in them, but this is due to the fact that there is no natural surface water in the main game area and water is pumped.

The camping area was perfectly quiet both evenings we were there :clap: The revamped ablution blocks are looking good! And the Interpretive Centre is coming along nicely - cannot wait for it to be completed.

The bird hide in the camp always delights!

And then there were the sightings ... doing fence patrol has some perks (many actually ;) ) and I must share who we met along the route ...

Thanks to the sharp eyes of my HR partner, this magestic beast was lying about 5 metres from us ....

I am waiting for Megan to confirm ID of which of the Addo males he is. He must surely be the most magnificent lion I have ever seen. So strong and what a presence! Such an awesome experience.

Image larger pic

Image larger pic

Image larger pic

Image larger pic

Ok will stop posting pics of him now - I am obviously very proud of the sighting :P

And then ... just a couple of kilometres down the track, who should we be blessed to see but Skukuza, the elephant bull moved to Addo from Kruger. It was fascinating to watch him - he was either asleep, or meditating. He had his eyes closed and was swaying back and forth very slowly and rhythmically.

Image larger view

And they grow supurb buffalo at Addo too :D This old dagga boy was on his way to Gwarrie Dam early on Sunday.
Image larger view

Image larger view

And to end - some of Addo's feathered inhabitants.
Image larger view

Image larger view

Image larger view

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Addo charms Hawk and DB - again!!!
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:37 pm 

Great boundary sighting of "Kalahari" DB..was he on the Scotia safaris Boundary fence because a guiding colleage of mine saw him and Tsama through the fence last week from the Schotia side

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:12 pm 

Yes he was on the Scotia boundary Peter.

On Sunday morn, 3 males passed the bottom gate ... they had walked a long way along the fence, past the Gorah gate towards the west. We missed them, but the attendants at both gates were very excited when we got there :D

Thanks Pumbaa :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:16 am 

DinkyBird wrote:
Thanks to the sharp eyes of my HR partner, this magestic beast was lying about 5 metres from us ....

I am waiting for Megan to confirm ID of which of the Addo males he is. He must surely be the most magnificent lion I have ever seen. So strong and what a presence! Such an awesome experience.

Image larger pic

And I have had a reply from the gurus and they reckon the lion we saw was Nossob :dance:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]