Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Batmad Flys to the Highlands!
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Finally we are going to a Sanpark!!!!

Golden gate :dance: :dance:

This will be a short TR as we are only going for 2 nights.

Only 2 days left :dance:

My dad at the moment is in the process of booking :dance:

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject: Re: Batmad Flys to the Highlands!
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Packing list so far.....................................

1- Bird book

2- Binos

3-camara

4-hiking boots

5-Bat book

6- bat knowledge

7-food

8- pen and pencil

9- clothes :lol:

10- books to read on the way their (NOT going to read when i am there!!! :wink:

11- Tracks and signs book

11-

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here we go :dance: :dance: ...................................................

Batmad Flys to the highlands
part 1

Wednesday 27 August 2008

I am awoken by my mother saying that she need shelp packing. So ever so reluctantly i got up got dressed and immediatly had a cooler box thrown into my hands! :roll:

After 2 hours of packing, my dog trying to run out of the gate, water spilling all over the inside of the car (jut missed my bird guide :dance: )
we were finally off!!!!!
While in the car my parents explain to me that we were not going to be staying in golden gate itself but just 3km from the western entrance. "Even though we are staying outside of the park we are going to be spending most of our time in the park" so a little bit sad and exited i fell asleep :lol:

Later on once we had unpacked we went on a hike in the mountains. we reached a rocky outcrop and my dad pointed something out............................................................................

To be countinued :twisted:

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I feel so loved :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the compliments and thanks jen for the stick poking :lol:

Batmad Flys to the highlands
part 2

Like i said, my dad pointed out something........................................

I mating pair of southern bald ibis's!!!! Now, this might not be amazing to you guys but it was to us plus we saw them mating :roll:
we sat their and took in the beuty of nature.

Of course the ibis's were not the only birds!
we saw 2 LBJ's, red winged starlings, levilents cistocola, cape bunting, and more.Thwn off the birds their were the ever so cute dassies :lol:
we started to make our way back to our hut and over the dam saw, rock martin, alpine swift and common house martin. then in the dam was red knobed coots and what i thought to be an african pygmy goose but turned out to be a little grebe :x
In and around our hut we saw cape rock thrush, speckled pigeon and karoo prinia.

we settled down next to the braai and agree that after a day in camp we were going to golden gate tommorow for the whole day!!!!!! :dance:

We fell asleep with the local jackels calling and dreamt about the beuty of nature..................................................................

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Part 3

I am awoken by the mating noise made from a piar of speckled pigeons (the noise is almost impossible to sleep with!)

So i get up and have some granadila twist! :lol:
I decided to take a casual stroll along the dam armed with my 8x40 cpc binos and my roberts bird guide!I saw what we saw the previous day, rock martins, alpine swist and common house martin. as i carried on walking i saw the red knobed coots and a little grebe.
The previous day when i hade spotted the little grebe i shouted YES!!!!! throwing my hande into the air, then i quikly threw them down when every one started to stare!
I got back to our hut and had some breakfast with my parents and gran and grandpa and then we were off to golden gate for the first time in 4 years!!!

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Part 4-Off to Golden Gate!!!

We entered the park and drove to the golden gate hotel to get some batteries for the Camera. I would not like to think what i would do without pics for my TR!!!! (pics will be posted after my TR)
From the golden gate hotel we went to glen reinen rest camp and popped into the shop there. On the way out from the shop just by the petrol station i saw a orange river white eye!!! Turned out it was the Capensis race)
from glen reinen we went on the Blebok loop and did not see much besides a lone wildebeest.
we then came off the blebok loop and took the oribi loop to go see the vulture feeding site.
We arived and on the way up saw what looked like a cape vulture. we got to the top and had the feeding site in veiw, but thier was nothing :( Only bones from the last sundays lunch.
Their was not alot of birdlife and mammel life, except for 2 LBJ's that flew away before i could take a photo :wall:
We left the park and then it hit me!!!
I did not twitch the bearded vulture :( :(

I forgot to add a pair of verouxes eagles i saw flying around the mountain closest to the golden gate hotel.

We returned back to our hut and discuss our next trip to golden gate highlands national park..............................................................

A list off all the birds i saw and photos will be posted soon!!! :dance:

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Birds sighted on the trip

1-Cape rock thrush (N)

2- alpine swift

3- cape bunting (N)

4- southern bald ibis (N)

5- levilents cistocola (N)

6- black headed heron (N)

7- karoo prinia (N)

8- Cape white eye (race capensis)

9- little grebe (N)

10- malachite sunbird (N)

11- yellow billed duck

12- red knobbed coot

13- hadeda

14- red winged starling

15- pied starling

16- speckeld pigeon

17- cape turtle dove

18- common house martin (N)

19- rock martin

20- verouxes eagle

21- grey heron (N)

22- ground woodpecker (N)

The N's stand for new ticks :wink:

Photos will be yp soon just need to fix them up and download them :wink:

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
here you are :D

this one will be release in the Alpen... next year...
these peoples are busy to rescue birds, bats and animals and try to relaxe them if it's possible, and they have re-introduced bearded vulture (gypaète barbu, in French) A nice work ! :dance:
(http://www.lagarenne.ch/reintroduire_gypaete.shtml, interesting... but in French... sorry)

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here we go :D

me standing out side of the car in golden gate :D

the veiw from our hut :D

An awesome veiw from golden gate!!

There will still be more pics :D

Stiffnecks Member

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]