Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kalahari, or should I say, THE SERENGETI
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is a bit of a late report. However, sitting in Costa Coffee in Wimbledon, UK, where is it raining heavily, and has not stopped raining since we got back to the UK two weeks ago, I cannot think of a better way to lift my spirits that share our experiences in a recent trip home. Where it was 35 + everyday, blue skies, great food, great wildlife, great people and a great place.

Our trip home started on the 1st May, when we left Heathrow on a wet Thursday evening. We arrived in Cape Town the next morning to blue skies and 'sunshine' something that you dont see very often in the UK.

We flew to East London later that day to spend the next 3 days with my folks and friends. Regrettably, weather was not that great there, but great to see everyone. East London is becoming a bit like a building site with new hotels/supermarkets etc. Just nice to be able to walk on a beach again and walk in the water. Its like a homing device, you always feel like you are where you are supposed to be when you are back home in africa and by the sea.

Anyway, the Monday we drove from EL to Addo. It was pitch black, which was lucky to some degree as the drive is a bit hairy in places, but I knew we would see the scenery on the way back. At Addo we bumped into Peter Betts by Harpoor, which was great to finally meet him. Bush is very thick in Addo, so difficult to spot something unless is literally walks out in front of you. However, did manage to see my first wild caracal (will post pics soon) and spend time with about 30 ellies at Harpoor before we made our drive back. If you have never done that drive i.e. Addo to EL, you dont know what you are missing as the scenery in the Eastern Cape is spectacular.

Will cont. later as have to go to work now, but will post some pics soon

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

hi Suzz, how exciting!!! not long to go. I really hope you have a great trip. At the time, career prospects and money. Now I am not so sure, it gets harder and harder to leave everytime

Some quick pics from the first part of the trip. I have done no processing at all and some of these are purely for ID

Caracal - bad shot, but the best I could get.

Youngster at Harpoor - Addo

Same youngster at Harpoor - Addo

Warthog at Addo

Kite Surfer at Nahoon Beach, East London

Nahoon Beach, East London

Harpoor teen, Addo

Great Fish River Bridge

Next part will be my Kgalagadi section of which I have processed a number of the main images

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:09 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Nice series
You hanging on the kite :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I wish. Looked awesome. I'm more of an armchair supporter of it :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, if people cant wait for the 'spotted' shots :lol: please see a link to some of my recent pics at the ODP website below

http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/pho ... puser=3347

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]