Dear forum members,
At the Honorary Ranger Indaba held in May 2008, it was agreed that SANParks needs the establishment and assistance of a VHR (Virtual Honorary Ranger) region. On 1 February 2010 the election of the Regional Management Committee of the VHRs was approved by the Honorary Ranger National Executive Committee, and the Virtual region was given permission to begin operating as a formal region. The region will be formally inaugurated at the annual national Honorary Ranger Indaba, which will be held at Golden Gate National Park in May of 2010.
The members of the first Regional Management Committee of the Virtual Honorary Rangers are:
* Chairperson: Dinkybird
* Vice-Chair: Imberbe
* Secretary: Bert
* Treasurer: JenB
* Member: DuQues
The rest of the region’s membership consists of New Applicants Matthys
For those of you who are not familiar with this development, here are the reasons for establishing a VHR Region:
1. To faciliate the projects and fund raising initiatives of the forum members on the SANParks website.
2. Build a bridge between the forum community and SANParks, as well as between the forum community and the Honorary Rangers (HRs).
3. Assist E-Business and Media and Stakeholder Relations divisions at SANParks in whatever way possible on the website and forums in the same manner as other HR regions assist the Parks they are linked to.
4. To harness and channel the passion the forum community has for SANParks for the benefit of SANParks and conservation.
5. To spread the message of conservation and SANParks on the www.
6. To function as all other HR regions and attain the BSC objectives of SANParks and the HRs.
We would like to congratulate the members of the new VHR for embarking on this exciting and challenging journey, and would also like to encourage all members to make use of the services provided by this volunteer force.