Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Is There Life in the Old Quiz(zes) Still?
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
{Split from [url=http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16828]here[/url}

Is that it? are we going to abandon this and and all the other quizzes for good? It appears that there are only a handful of forumites left that actively partake here. The quizzes were at one stage one of the most active places on the forum but nowadays it has been very, very quiet. The No Kudu Horns and easy-ish quiz are fairly active which gives me the idea that the questions asked in the other quizzes are too difficult and people loose interest or feel intimidated by the grade of difficulty of the question, especially if they see the correct answer.

Is it not time that we should change the format of this very informative section of the forum? I have no fresh ideas unfortunately.

Last edited by saraf on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason for split

Post subject: Re: Who's line is it any way? (RV)
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
Is that it? are we going to abandon this and and all the other quizzes for good? It appears that there are only a handful of forumites left that actively partake here. The quizzes were at one stage one of the most active places on the forum but nowadays it has been very, very quiet. The No Kudu Horns and easy-ish quiz are fairly active which gives me the idea that the questions asked in the other quizzes are too difficult and people loose interest or feel intimidated by the grade of difficulty of the question, especially if they see the correct answer.

Is it not time that we should change the format of this very informative section of the forum? I have no fresh ideas unfortunately.

my idea- maybe not the best or freshest on the block, but writing something in our signature like" come join us in the quizzes.

if the quiz is too difficult, then google it, try an answer even if you are wrong. that's the fun way of learning. we cannot just abandon the quizzez even if it's just a couple of us quizzing away??? my 5cents worth

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I must say that at one stage one could not even understand the question, let alone the answer. Some of the answers were linked to a site on the web and I did mention earlier that the poster of the question probably did not understand the answer him/herself.

My idea is to make it practical so that a reader can apply the knowledge that he has acquired here to what he sees in SANParks. To ask forumites to explain the similarities between the DNA of an African Rock Python and that of an Upper Mongolian Tree Crocodile is absolutely useless information.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

i get your point. the questions and answers must be simpler - so that we normal people can understand it too. and more related to what we will be thinking and asking questions about when driving around in a park.

but we still need more people to participate in the quizzes. sometimes it feels like it's the same bunch of people asking and answering, and sometime you just run outta ideas or start to ask questions that have been asked before.

Post subject: Re: Is There Life in the Old Quiz(zes) Still?
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:43 pm 

I split this off from the old topic to see if we could get a dialogue going to see if you think the quiz section is dying a death or not.

Are you still enjoying it? If not, what can we do to re-invigorate it?

It seems to me that the quick-fire quizzes (e.g. I'm thinking of...) are still quite popular but the ones where you have to go away and do some research aren't. Is it because you haven't got the time, or you forget about them (my excuses) or they are just too difficult? Do you feel intimidated if its a Revolving Quiz and you have to think of the next question?

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:56 pm 

It would really be a pity if the quiz section should fizzle out, Saraf (and Rooies and Wildflowergirl).
I do not participate here but find it very interesting and enjoyable and have learnt a lot here, thanks to you all 8)
saraf wrote:
Do you feel intimidated if its a Revolving Quiz and you have to think of the next question?

Yip. I don't think that I will ever be the one that will have to "think of the next question" but, that has stopped me from participating when I thought that I might be the one having to do so.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:10 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I agree, Rooies. It is important that questions have relevance to practical usage in SANParks and actually nature as a whole. I have learnt a lot from people who have taught me things that I know I will, and have, used one day. There were many speciality quizzes that only a few people were interested in, but there is nothing wrong in that if the participants are learning from each other. Not everyone, after all, wants to indulge in dung-, butterfly and moth-, bat- or aerial-pic identification, but there are still those who do ... thank goodness. :wink:

I have, however, most enjoyed those quizzes where I have had to do some research - not oodles of information that get tangled like a clump of semi-dry noodles - and often that is when you learn some other fact that gets you gasping for more knowledge. Which also leads to another question. :thumbs_up:

I think newbies especially need to be lowered gently into an active or seemingly difficult quiz when they show interest, as so many have been lost by insensitive seasoned quizzers who either knowingly or unwittingly pressurise or even criticise the interested beginner. I have seen many leave because of this.

Matthys, many people do not like to be made "IT" in a revolving quiz (RV). I'm thinking of one once-very-active participant in particular who was very intelligent and informative, but hated to be "IT", so would avoid posting the right answer! However, there are many people like that. Hence the fact that OQ's often do well because no participant feels obliged to ask another question when they give the previous answer as correct.

Also, question need to be clear and simple enough to understand. Ambiguity can also put several people off. And some people have asked cryptic questions which, aside from the Guessing Game, does not generate much practicality or extensive participation.

No, I do not think the quizzes are dead; I do think there is some life in them yet, and it will take just a few tries to get many of them on the road again. Imberbe has been trying for years to revive quizzes and, from time to time, he succeeds. He has been a wonderful participant over the years and has imparted a huge amount of knowledge and fun to the quizzes, but he has also shown that it takes an ongoing effort and input that few people are willing to sustain.

Essentially, one needs a core of interest in a subject that lays the foundation for others to join. I will give it a go over the next few months and see how many quizzes we can exhume and give the elixir of life to. Siobain, an "oldbie" with the quizzes, is also keen to rejoin. So, let's stop wondering and get down to some active duty, peeps! :wink: 8) :dance: :dance:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:19 am 

There are both open and revolving quizzes, so anyone is welcome to choose participation accordingly. Revolving quizzes are generally speaking more successfully in ensuring participation, are easier to manage, are generally more active and has a longer life span.

The quizzes have gone down for many reasons. We have lost many active members, there has been some conflict and negativity between participants, etc. I do however think that you cannot judge the quizzes without seriously taking in to account the bigger picture of what happened on the Forums. That to my mind is the major contributing factor.

But, I do think that we have started turning it around the past month or so in the Quizzes. The key is encouraging a good natured interaction and allowing people room to differ in the way we approach and participate in the quizzes. And a little patience at times waiting for the answers ...

So, I agree with OWN. Participation is the key! :thumbs_up:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 am 
Imberbe wrote:
The quizzes have gone down for many reasons. We have lost many active members, there has been some conflict and negativity between participants, etc. I do however think that you cannot judge the quizzes without seriously taking in to account the bigger picture of what happened on the Forums. That to my mind is the major contributing factor.

Well assessed, IB. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:18 am 
onewithnature wrote:
Imberbe wrote:

I am glad that I missed those incidents on the forum and that I can just go on and enjoy it for what it is NOW.

The quizzes must continue as it is a great place for everybody to learn something new.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just to add to all the above. Keeping the quizzes going is down to the "few" now BUT if we, as a group, can make them more interesting/entertaining for others then, perhaps, gradually more people will join in. Not sure whether the RV puts off some people as, quite frankly, we enjoy having to think of something ...... and having to remember the answer!

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:39 am 
Joao wrote:
onewithnature wrote:
Imberbe wrote:

I am glad that I missed those incidents on the forum and that I can just go on and enjoy it for what it is NOW.

The quizzes must continue as it is a great place for everybody to learn something new.

Absolutely Joao! :clap: Glad to have you on board. :clap: :clap:

And, may I add to your excellent signature symptoms-of-not-being-in-Kruger syndrome:

Doctor my tummy rumbles, my heart aches, and my eyes are all watery. I need some KRUGER fast!
Such debilitating symptoms cannot last,
For Kruger in all her wonder is so vast!

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:44 am 
PNF wrote:
Just to add to all the above. Keeping the quizzes going is down to the "few" now BUT if we, as a group, can make them more interesting/entertaining for others then, perhaps, gradually more people will join in. Not sure whether the RV puts off some people as, quite frankly, we enjoy having to think of something ...... and having to remember the answer!

An RV is my favourite quiz, and has never put me off. Sometimes people do delay in responding, but ultimately I have learnt a lot from such quizzes. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:25 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
Quote:

Fully agree with you Joao :thumbs_up: Going through most of the quizzes last night and this morning :big_eyes: the amount of information that one can learn from is outstanding. The are quizzes covering so many areas. It is great learning in a fun manner.

Many of the regular participants are not around too often, if at all anymore and I agree that might have something to do with the slight dip in participation :cry: but those of us who enjoy the quizzes can surely turn that around :hmz:

Many of the quizzes focus on Kruger, maybe the other parks should be included - just a thought :wink:

I have to agree with Matthys when it comes to RV quizzes :lol: :lol: - but that is just me. Guess it depends on the nature of the quizz really :?

Quizzes are good - let's keep them going Mr Quizz Whizz 2011 :lol: :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:42 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
There was a time that I participated in the quizzies..................but at this stage the only time I really have for the forum is during office hours..............and then not that much time to look for answers etc!!! :doh: :doh: .................but I'll make an effort to at least take part in some on a daily bases............that's until we're on holiday in KNP or else where!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

As you said it will be a real sad story if this dies a slow death................. :(