Skip to Content

Guest Houses in Kruger

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
wbevents

Re: NYATHI, WATERKANT 1 and MONI GUEST HOUSES

Unread postby wbevents » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi Kathy

Monis all "ïn house", 4 bedrooms all on suite with living area, kitchen next to one of the rooms, very nice deck ( not safe for youngsters !), braai area, old house but very neat and cosy. Been there not even 2 weeks ago and miss the place!

Monis almost like Letaba's Mellville"s house
July 2016 booked !!!

kirsty

Re: NYATHI, WATERKANT 1 and MONI GUEST HOUSES

Unread postby kirsty » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi Kathy,
We stayed at Nyathi last year. It has one main living area (with kitchen and sitting area), and then you have to go outside to get to the bedrooms.
It works if you have separate parties, but we went as a family and would much rather have had one house (like the Stanley in Satara).
I'm sure you will have a wonderful time though.
I am really jealous.....
Too long to go till our next trip - March 2012.
Talamati and Lower Sabie here we come.

wbevents

Re: Guest Houses in Kruger

Unread postby wbevents » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:18 am

hi Riaan

Yes must agree, people can say what they want, going to kruger staying in guesthouses, awesome !!
Monis was very nice, neat and cosy, but Frankel.....unreal, while having after dinner drinks last week, we heard the trembling noise of a herd of buffalos running, after close inspection with our spotlights, seeing 3 young female lions trying to catch one, after about 10 minutes the buffalos got the better of the lions and chase them away. Next morning at 5H30 seeing the hole herd lying right next to fence ! Then not to mention the herd of elephants coming for a drink, giraffes, zebras, hyenas and the local genet....... all while sitting on your stoep !!
Will go to Nshawu again once the childern are bigger.
July 2016 booked !!!

ossendryver
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

satara Rudy Frankel Guest House

Unread postby ossendryver » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi
I'm going to the Rudy Frankel Guest House in satara and I'd like to know more about it.
I've also heard that it over looks a water hole.
if any body can give me info.
and pics of the water hole or of the house it self
thanks
ossendryver

Elsa

Re: satara Rudy Frankel Guest House

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi Ossendryver,
it is a wonderful guest house, one of the best in Satara IMHO and does indeed look over its own waterhole which has a flood light.
We sat at the fence one evening and watched a multitude of animals coming to drink including a huge male Lion who drank for over 10 minutes all the while keeping a beady eye on us. :wink:
It has a huge veranda with a lovely garden with lots of bird life. :D

I know there is a thread on the forum for the guest houses but can't seem to find it at present.
In the mean time have you had a look Here can get some ideas.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Mrs P

Unread postby Mrs P » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:39 am

I stayed at the Frankel GH in 1987 :shock: Time flies :mrgreen:
It has its own waterhole and is not the one on the webcam. We had a pride of lions at sunset drinking, lots of hyena and lovely civet and genet sightigs into the early hours of the morning. The birdlife around the birdbath during the day was also brilliant. Enjoy, you will not be dissapointed :thumbs_up:
2014 - Karoo National Park 14 - 18 Dec; Motswedi 18 - 22 Dec; Kalahari 23 Dec - 8 Jan.

ALFEL

Unread postby ALFEL » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:39 pm

We have been to the Frankel House twice resently
It is absolutely amazing.From the verandah we saw animals all day and night. A small spotted Genet came onto our lawn one evening.
It is a real treat to stay there.

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Kruger Guest Houses

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:54 am

I have never come across any substantial historical or other interesting information regarding the Kruger Guest Houses.
Yet it would be so interesting (and appreciated) to read some historical background about them and some relevant information regarding the persons who donated them.
For example why is the house in Lower-Sabie called Keartland and the one in Letaba Mellville?
I always wondered which the first guest house in which camp was but it is always just mentioned as available accommodation in the literature that I read and nothing further.
Maybe some forum members can share some interesting knowledge?
I think some of those houses have a lot of atmosphere surrounding them and that they should be preserved for future generations.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kruger Guest Houses

Unread postby Penny » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi there - many years ago I asked if the visitors books and some of the priceless other literature in some of these houses could be archived as there were some wonderful contributions over the years.
Sadly this never happened and then one of the houses to which I had specifically referred burnt down so all was lost.
We have spent hours in the Stanley cottage reading the diaries of Ann Stanley (She called them Heaven on Earth) and I also asked if these could be published as I felt they were a true reflection of a family that had spent many years over many generations in Kruger.
There was the most wonderful poem written on the wall and framed all about Kruger and it would have been wonderful if people who have never stayed there could read this (I have a copy which I sat and wrote out).
The person I spoke to agreed that this should be done but to my knowledge this has not happened and I believe that this staff member is no longer with Sanparks.
I do know that Nshawu House was once referred to as the State President's house but it would be very interesting to have some clarification on some of these beautiful guesthouses.
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN RHINO HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:51 pm

I agree that it would be so interesting to get some information on the history and background to these wonderful guest houses.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 am

Penny and Elsa thank you for your responses.
I also wish that some literature could be made available on these very stately Kruger houses.
It would be so interesting to know whether the families of and or the original donors still visit them.
Penny in a little Globetrotter book that I have the Nshawu house is called the Coke house – I do not know what that mean as you said it was called the State President’s house.
In that same little book the Rudy Frankel house in Satara is called Tiger Oats but in general I find that historical information is really scarce on these wonderful old houses, yet for some people it might be very interesting. Maybe someday a “Lowveld historian” will delight us with some facts and knowledge about these typical old Kruger houses.
I do hope that they will be well looked after and conserved for many years to come by people who care for them.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Penny » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:08 pm

I think that Tiger Oats either owned or still own the Rudy Frankel guesthouse. When we stayed at the Fish Eagle cottage at Letaba I also remember that it was owned by Score metals!
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN RHINO HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again

Zorilla

Unread postby Zorilla » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 am

Anyone have news and the current condition of Nyathi Guesthouse in Skukuza or J LeRoux house in Berg en Dal?! So little info on either of these two houses recently.
Tread Lightly

27 & 28 April 2011 - SKUKUZA
29 & 30 April 2011 - BERG EN DAL

jackie

Unread postby jackie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:34 pm

Both of them are the best of the best!! You will be very very happy!! :thumbs_up: :dance:
jackie

Zorilla

Unread postby Zorilla » Tue May 03, 2011 3:16 pm

I have just returned from a couple days in both the Skukuza's Nyathi guesthouse and Berg-en-Dal's J. Le Roux guesthouse.
First it must be said, it was a trip of two very contrasting halves...the first at Nyathi and the second at Le Roux.

Nyathi is FANTASTIC, AMAZING just SUPERB and a personal favourite guest house now!!
It has been recently renovated and looks nothing like the pictures that are found on the website.
The exterior is much the same, but internally, there has been a lot of work done.
I will in a few days post some picture of Nyathi to show what it really looks like so keep checking in
It was spotlessly clean, well designed...... and having stayed at a number of guest houses over the years, Nyathi is certainly very high on my list after this trip (not quite overtaking the incredible Nshawu tho....). I can't wait to post some pics of this amazing place!!!

Le Roux in Berg-en-Dal camp on the other hand was terrible to say the least..like chalk and cheese when comparing it to Nyathi.
It is literally falling apart, and that's no joke....the thatch 'roof' almost completely pulled apart, doors rotting off the hinges, power cables hanging from the roof, the braai with rusted holes in the bottom!!! :big_eyes: The day we arrived there were old dirty and wet towels lying on the floors, cobwebs from light fittings to roof trusses, pumpkin pips in the kitchen cupboards and rubbish in the pantry.
The guesthouse is VERY pokey and small to make matters worse and in my opinion should not be classified as a guest house, a family cottage maybe, but certainly not a guest house.
It was my first and last stay at J. Le Roux guesthouse.
On a positive note, Camp Manager Stephen Nel at Berg-en-Dal was very quick to rectify the issues regarding the cleanliness of the unit when these issues were brought to his attention and my thanks go to him for making our stay at Berg-en-Dal camp a little more comfortable and does assure us that the guesthouse will be given A LOT of TLC in the near future, it was however little consolation as the damage was already done!

I look forward to posting pictures of Nyathi in the next day or so!!
Tread Lightly

27 & 28 April 2011 - SKUKUZA
29 & 30 April 2011 - BERG EN DAL

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”