Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guest Houses in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:48 am 

Hi Camken

Also at Frankel in August next year over the long weekend for a few nights, can't wait for the experience. We had to take Frankel house because some of the nights we are 10 people. Some afternoons one apparently need to take a nap to enjoy the waterhole more ant night time!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Staying at both a couple of times, my favourite is the Stanley. The view is not that much different, but the atmosphere is SO much better.

That is my personal opinion after spending many an evening on the verandah or on the bench near the fence of the Stanley.

Should you need pics of the view, feel free to pm me and i'll e-mail you some pics.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:07 pm 
We just returned from probably one of our most amazing Kruger trips. 8)
We stayed in Stanley (Satara), Fish Eagle (Letaba), Rentmeester (Shingwedzi) and Nshawu (Olifants).
Regarding the Stanley…we enjoyed our time there and it was quite awesome to have the wildlife come to drink at the waterhole…
But, I can honestly say I’m glad we stayed there first and not after we visited all the other houses…then our experience might not have been so “happy”.
We all have different views and “standards”…to us the Stanley did not at all match up with the quality of the other houses.
It was not nearly as well equipped and maintained as the others and considering that you pay the same price, we will probably not go and stay there again.
As for the “wildlife experience”…the Rentmeester beats the Stanley hands down…again, that is our opinion.

The two houses that came out on top for us, was the Rentmeester and Nshawu.
Sheebs, I missed your report-back on Nshawu…I completely agree.
The Olifants management has indeed pulled up their socks and the house in a much better condition than what we found it February 2009. :thumbs_up:
Nshawu has always been our favourite…but this was also the only guesthouse we have stayed in before LOL…now, after also staying at the Rentmeester, it is a bit more difficult to choose a favourite…if I have the money and time to again go and stay in a guesthouse in Kruger, it will be really difficult for me to choose between Nshawu and the Rentmeester. :?

The Fish Eagle is also a lovely house …but there are also a few things that needs attention…like for instance, it is a hassle that most of the lounge doors do not have keys and cannot lock…one thus have to cart all your valuables with you.
But even with this, the Fish Eagle beats Stanley…well, that’s our opinion. :?
When I have more time next week, I will post some pix of the different houses.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have found that the drier, the better the game viewing at Satara. (Stanley in particular).

We have seen aal of the big five on July, while having a braai. (Making it worth facing the elements in the coldest July I've ever had in Kruger.)

I would agree that the upkeep in Stanley could be better, but the atmosphere is really special.

I must still do the Rentmeester. Somehow I always end up camping in Shingwedzi though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 am 

View from Rhino House is much better as it is right overlooking the fence

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:55 am 

Grantmissy

If your booking is at the Pierre Joubert guesthouse do keep it!!! The guest houses at Berg en dal are just big brick houses. You will still get the exclusive and kruger feeling at PK camp with grass, some buck, huge space and fence with no one walking past. Enjoy your trip !

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I also felt like the guesthouses in Berg en Dal feels like a large cottage, no real exclusive and atmospheric feel

They do have a great view though, I have seen Lion, leopard and wilddog drink at the dam.

Christo

Post subject: Re: Guesthouses
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I suppose everybody has their own favourites:

Fish Eagle has a lot of atmosphere, and having a riverview, have some great oppertunities if you spend time in your private hide.

Frankel has in my opinion great "luxury", but I feel no "old-world" charm. It does have superb game viewing from the unit, as it overlooks a floodlit waterhole.

I personally much prefer the Stanley, although not as luxurious, the "stoep" is such a lovely place to sit with a cold one and overlook the waterhole.

In the end, it is up to you.

Post subject: Re: Guesthouses
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:28 am 

Yes I agree with Christo, matter of personal opinion, depends you big your party, children etc

Frankel's floodlight waterhole and general game in the Satara area will be the deciding factor for me, house bedrooms also done very clever.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The floodlit waterhole is shared between Stanley and Frankel. The view is good from both, possibly a little nearer to Frankel, but still no more than +- 15 meters from the Stanley fence. (Trying to guess a distance from memory here).

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:11 am 

Stayed at the frankel and Stanley cottages. Frankel definately has the better view but all the rooms are separate which isn't great if you have young kids . Stanley has a much more homely feel with lots of personal touches from the Stanley family. Both are great

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:13 am 

Went to Fish Eagle last week and it was awesome. The only thing it needs is some comfy chairs to sit on on the stoep. Unless you take your own camping chairs you have to sit on the hard/uncomfy chairs or bankie by the braaiplace.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:06 am 

Weltenman wrote:
Anybody stay at Lebombo or ABSA Guest houses recently? Just need to find out what the general condition is of the houses? Thanks in advance..

Hi, been in ABSA last august, very clean house, bedrooms were all fine, bathrooms in working order and clean to kruger standards, big kitchen, 2 bars, big lounge and braai area with lovely stoep looking onto the river, can entertain 50 people easy at this house ! Will be there next month again and report back.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks wbevents, looking forward to the update.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Back at work :evil: after a two week break and we had a brilliant trip to KNP.
1. Boulders was lovely, the staff were brilliant, but the showers, oh the showers :? we had a choice of cold water or bl**dy cold water :hmz:
2. Nshawu house was brilliant, had one bat in the main bedroom, but opened the door and let him/her out, so no problem. Staff were lack luster :?
3. Stanley house was lovely, the decor is tasteful, but wish there was more than one shower, although there are three bathrooms. As we were a group of 8 and everyone wanted to shower we simply took turns. Staff were invisible, but housekeeping good!
4. Keartland house is large and spacious, but there are no screens at the windows, and the one bathroom was infested with bat droppings, resulting in a musty unpleasant smell. Curtains were hung helter skelter and generally a air of bad housekeeping :(
One thing is for sure, I will be back at both Boulders and Nshawu :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next