Skip to Content

Guest Houses in Kruger

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Re: Braai area at Frankel Guest House

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:24 pm

I don't think you need to be concerned about the placement of the braais. they are fine and really as close as one wants to be while cooking.
The guest house also has a wonderful spacious verandah from where one can also view the animals at the water hole.
We organised ourselves a bench right at the fence and the one night while we were sitting there a huge male Lion came along and drank for about 10 minutes mere meters in front of us. :D
Absolutely magical. :dance:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Eugene123

Unread postby Eugene123 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi there. We stayed in Frankel in Oct 2008.
I wrote a trip report and I have added some pictures of the place.
You can look at my TR. Page 2 has photos of the house.
If you look at pic 3 of the house at dusk, the braai sits to the right. It is about 10 paces from the fence.
It is very pleasant to sit on the veranda at night and watch the happenings at the waterhole.
The 4th pic is of the waterhole.
Frankel is a very pleasant, spacious and secluded place.
The only drawback is that the main road is directly in front of the house with constant traffic during the day.
Following is a link to my TR

Frankel GH

You are welcome if you have any questions
BBW Pretoriuskop 22-26 Jan 2015

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:29 am

Stanley has just as great a view of the waterhole. It is by far my favourite as it has loads more atmosphere than the Frankel.
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Guest Houses in Kruger

Unread postby Penny » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:36 pm

I agree Jumbo the Nshawu House is sadly neglected and given that this was the State President's house it is a grave pity that more effort is not being made to stop is falling into a state of total disrepair! I too wrote letters after staying there but to no avail it would appear!

In my humble opinion the best guest houses in Kruger are the Stanley and the Rudy Frankel simply because they are situated directly behind a floodlit waterhole. Both are also fully fenced and provided you remember to close the gates to folk wandering in they ae very private. I have many pleasurable memories of the Satara waterhole where we have sat on the bench at the fence in our own private garden with lion, leopard, african wild cat, hyaena and civet at the waterhole not to mention the buffalo, elephant and all the other plains game. Ann Stanley called Kruger Park "Heaven on Earth" and at one time all her writings under this very apt name were available on the bureau in the lounge for visitors to read!

The guesthouses also have wonderful visitor's books and it is awesome to spend a quiet hour or two during the day with these reading of the wonderful sightings folk have had together with the little anecdotes, drawings and poems - one specific one comes to mind fromt the guestbook of the Rudy Frankel cottage at Satara -

Is life tranquil asks the civet?
All depends on how you live it.
And to this rhetoric question,
I must pose you a suggestion.
Though the question is absorbing,
So the answer is rewarding.
To be tranquil is not easy -
Life's not always bright and breezy!
Try to live it like the civet
Try to LOVE it and to LIVE it!!!!!
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN RHINO HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:17 pm

What a lovely little poem by Ann Stanley, Penny.
and I remember well the couple of nights we had at this incredible guest house. :D
Such pity about Nshawu tho. :(

wbevents

Unread postby wbevents » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:39 pm

I now have the choice of Wells guesthouse in Satara or Doherty house in Pretoriuskop! Which one would you go for and why?

If you go purely on look, location of unit in camp , value for money, look and feel of the house ...I would go with Doherty...stand alone units with communal braai/kuier area, quiet area of camp next to fence.
Well's ... you can hear the restaurant staff and guest’s, one bedroom more than the guest cottages, not location one are used to for guest houses.

If you purely on roads for animals, general game etc....Satara

(can't believe Well's cost the same as Frankel and Stanley guest houses)
July 2016 booked !!!

swanepoel

Unread postby swanepoel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:13 pm

KEARTLAND GUEST HOUSE Skukuza: Date visited: September 2009
The house is really spacious, with 4 bathrooms, 2 fridge/freezer combinations, limited dstv, old kitchen (no microwave- even Biyamiti has a microwave!) and wonderful views and lots of privacy.
The view from every bedroom is great, but the main bedroom is truly amazing.
I feel that the unit requires maintenance - the 4th bathroom (next to the lounge area) has a rather innocuous smell that you can't miss whenever passing the area - it may be a leaking toilet, or bat guana - either way very unpleasant!
Another areas that needs urgent attention is the mosquito netting by the windows.
At this point in time this netting acts only as very unattractive window dressing, and has no other function as it is loose from the window and has many holes in - thank goodness we were there before the rains (not in summer!!).
We are looking forward to returning to the house, but hopefully it has received some TLC in the mean time. We have taken photos of all the rooms / views....

Sheebs

Unread postby Sheebs » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:32 pm

Well, got back from our 7 night stay at Nshawu and can report as follows :

BOOK ME IN FOR ANOTHER 7 NIGHTS PLEASE!!.
The Nshawu exceeded my every expectation and I like to think that my email to Mr Phuti the GM of the camp had some impact.
The house appeared very well-maintained, no weeds on verandah areas, furniture (dated) but very comfortable and in tip top condition, kitchen very clean (lovely one too with granite tops, plenty crockery and cutlery, twin fridges/freezers and separate scullery area).
I counted no more than 3 cockroaches in the kitchen during my stay and that I find remarkable.
Gas braai was supplied with 2 gas bottles and what a pleasure to use this facility for breakfast.
Views uncompromised - saw lion on three occasions crossing the Olifants while sipping on a favourite tipple. We had aircon issues in our room which were dealt with in a highly professional manner - reminiscent of service levels one used to experience years ago - well done to David and Dion.
Whatever trees had been felled and left lying around have either been 'absorbed' into the surrounding foliage or removed but certainly there were no signs of rubbish and rubble lying around.
Lynneth, the house-keeper made her appearance regularly and clearly took absolute pride in her cleaning and work.
The thatching (though this becomes academic mid Nov) was not nearly as bad as what expected.
Overall - and I have stayed in several other guest houses including the new Frankel at Satara - Nshawu for me is King of the Kruger.
Enjoy your stays and don't cancel.

camken

Unread postby camken » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:59 am

Hi all

I love this thread.
I have booked a holiday in Kruger for next year August, and even though we had originally decided to stay in the BnD and Biyamiti area, after reading this thread Ive just booked in at Satara in the Frankel house.
I blame this thread for this added expense to my holiday!! The thought of sitting on the patio at night and seeing the game at the waterhole...wow

Anyway, its really the waterhole that got me hooked, and I just want to find out if anyone has an opinion as to which is better, Frankel or Stanley? I'm more interested in which has the best waterhole view than the accomodation itself. its all about the game viewing for me.
Also, is the waterhole as great as everyone says it is? If so, I cant wait!

Thank you

klotzof

Unread postby klotzof » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi Camken

I have stayed at both
Stanley cottage is a nicer house but without doubt the view of the waterhole is better from the Frankel cottage.

They are both brilliant

Have a great time

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:23 pm

When we stayed in the Frankel cottage a couple of years ago we sat on a bench next to the fence and watched as a huge male Lion drank from the WH for over 10 minutes, keeping one eye on us all the time.
Must say the fence didn't look nearly as sturdy the whole time! :?
We also had herds of Buffalo, Zebra and Impies of course drinking there on and off.

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:29 pm

Staying at both a couple of times, my favourite is the Stanley. The view is not that much different, but the atmosphere is SO much better.

That is my personal opinion after spending many an evening on the verandah or on the bench near the fence of the Stanley.

Should you need pics of the view, feel free to pm me and i'll e-mail you some pics.

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:07 pm

We just returned from probably one of our most amazing Kruger trips. 8)
We stayed in Stanley (Satara), Fish Eagle (Letaba), Rentmeester (Shingwedzi) and Nshawu (Olifants).
Regarding the Stanley…we enjoyed our time there and it was quite awesome to have the wildlife come to drink at the waterhole…
But, I can honestly say I’m glad we stayed there first and not after we visited all the other houses…then our experience might not have been so “happy”.
We all have different views and “standards”…to us the Stanley did not at all match up with the quality of the other houses.
It was not nearly as well equipped and maintained as the others and considering that you pay the same price, we will probably not go and stay there again.
As for the “wildlife experience”…the Rentmeester beats the Stanley hands down…again, that is our opinion.

The two houses that came out on top for us, was the Rentmeester and Nshawu.
Sheebs, I missed your report-back on Nshawu…I completely agree.
The Olifants management has indeed pulled up their socks and the house in a much better condition than what we found it February 2009. :thumbs_up:
Nshawu has always been our favourite…but this was also the only guesthouse we have stayed in before LOL…now, after also staying at the Rentmeester, it is a bit more difficult to choose a favourite…if I have the money and time to again go and stay in a guesthouse in Kruger, it will be really difficult for me to choose between Nshawu and the Rentmeester. :?

The Fish Eagle is also a lovely house …but there are also a few things that needs attention…like for instance, it is a hassle that most of the lounge doors do not have keys and cannot lock…one thus have to cart all your valuables with you.
But even with this, the Fish Eagle beats Stanley…well, that’s our opinion. :?
When I have more time next week, I will post some pix of the different houses.

christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby christo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:04 pm

I have found that the drier, the better the game viewing at Satara. (Stanley in particular).

We have seen aal of the big five on July, while having a braai. (Making it worth facing the elements in the coldest July I've ever had in Kruger.)

I would agree that the upkeep in Stanley could be better, but the atmosphere is really special.

I must still do the Rentmeester. Somehow I always end up camping in Shingwedzi though.

Safari Gal

Unread postby Safari Gal » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 am

View from Rhino House is much better as it is right overlooking the fence
Calling all no-kudu horn mites to join the no-kudu horn quiz.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”